insights into a dive rescue ...

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

insights into a dive rescue ...

Post by Grateful Diver »

I came across this report from someone involved in a recent diver rescue at Pt. Lobos in Monterey, CA.

It's well written, poignent, and haunting ... should be required reading for anyone taking a Rescue class ...

http://guerosd.wordpress.com/2006/08/02/incident/

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

That's pretty heavy, but.....how could he possibly not know the outcome? If he was truly as haunted by the incident as he says, it really seems like he would have made some effort to follow up on it; I'm pretty sure I would have.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Zen Diver v1
Aquaphile

Post by Zen Diver v1 »

Nailer99 wrote:That's pretty heavy, but.....how could he possibly not know the outcome? If he was truly as haunted by the incident as he says, it really seems like he would have made some effort to follow up on it; I'm pretty sure I would have.
The truth is, with confidentiality laws such as they are, it's virtually impossible to find out what happened after being transported to a hospital. I work in an ER and most times we don't know what happened after we transfer someone.

Good reason to keep up to date on CPR; if he had he would have known that protocols have changed significantly and that for the lay person, you don't have to do a pulse check (if they look dead, they probably are), in fact you don't keep going until you drop or are taken over by professionals etc.

Good post Bob.

-Valerie
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

My Rescue class is later this month. I've been reading and studying for months now, even before the formal class. In many ways I'm looking forward to this... I want to be a better diver, and hopefully a better human being in the process as well. I want to be trained to be able to help should the occasion arise. At the same time, it's a bit scary, and it's for keeps. This article does put that in stark relief.

Thanks for posting this GD, and for all the other ways that you help and have helped so many divers.
Aquanautchuck
Pelagic

Post by Aquanautchuck »

Thanks for the post Bob. We all can learn a little bit from these unfortunate accidents. And you are right, haunting.

Charles
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

An excellent article, Bob.......it reminds me very much of a conversation regarding similar events that you and I had about a week or so ago.

All too often the discussion and interest is completely focused on the tragic victim of such accidents, with little notice taken of those who attempted the rescue. When such rescues are not sucessful those that attempted to do what they could to try to save the victim can find themselves in their own little world of pain and self-doubt.

At such times they need their friends and community more than ever, even should they not admit to the need.

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
Zen Diver v1
Aquaphile

Post by Zen Diver v1 »

The local fire departments and hospital MSWs (Medical Social Workers) can also help the rescuers in working thro any post traumatic issues and doing a formal debrief. It's tremendously helpful, and should almost be required, really.

-Valerie
thelawgoddess
Pelagic

Post by thelawgoddess »

there is a link to the outcome on that page.
(http://guerosd.wordpress.com/2006/08/04/the-outcome/)
"Life without passion is life without depth."~J.Hollis
my FLICKR photo sets
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

John Rawlings wrote: At such times they need their friends and community more than ever, even should they not admit to the need.

- John
Well said, and so true...
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

I have, on two different occasions, been involved with life saving situation's. (Not Diving related)In both cases I know the victims lived. Not knowing would be a difficult thing to carry around.

Note: Not
Last edited by BASSMAN on Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sasquatch
Compulsive Diver

Post by Sasquatch »

A sobering read for sure. It's important to never forget the more serious side of our sport and to strive to be as prepared as possible.

I'm sure the victim would have had ZERO chance of survival without the efforts of the author of that article.

:salute: