Dive Around the Clock 2008

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Dive Around the Clock 2008

Post by Zen Diver »

The 2nd Annual Dive-Around-the-Clock fundraising charity for Children's Hospital Cancer Research will take place on Friday, July 25 thro Saturday, July 26th, beginning at 4:00 pm (until 4:00 pm Saturday) at Redondo in Des Moines, WA. Last year we had 52 divers registered and raised $11,000; this year we are hoping for 100 divers and $20,000. There are many ways to help out; a) diving, b) collecting donations, c) helping out with the various stations and setup/cleanup during the event, or even all three!

There will be prizes awarded (various categories, details will be announced soon) and fun to be had for all. Early registration is $25.00, which includes the commemorative T-shirt. More details will be available on the website (divearoundtheclock.com) as they become available.

“Dive Around the Clock” is a 24-hour dive-a-thon relay, where 2-man buddy teams (1-min. to 5 max.) will be rotated every 30 minutes to ensure that there are divers in the water continuously for a 24 hour period. Each participant, diver or nondiver, collects pledges from family and/or friends. All money collected through pledges, sponsorship and registration fees (minus cost of t-shirts) goes to Children’s Hospital Cancer Research. The event website, ww.divearoundtheclock.com, has been updated and is now up and running. The website has further information,event details and registration and
pledge/sponsor forms that can be down loaded. In the near future, a link will be provided on the website providing online pledging, which we are very excited about. Each participant can customize their own page (add pictures, set fundraising goals, insert a thermometer to track financial goal, give reasons why the participant is doing the event,etc.) and send it out to friends, co-workers and family to collect pledges.

We'd love to have a great show from Northwest Dive Club (come out and wear your NWDC shirts!!). Feel free to PM for further questions, or to request a pledge/sponsor sheet and registration form.

Last year's pix are here: http://jellyfish.smugmug.com/gallery/32 ... #181671737

Thanks!

-Valerie
Pinkpadigal
I've Got Gills

Re: Dive Around the Clock 2008

Post by Pinkpadigal »

Based on what I have heard from one of last year's participants, this is a lot of fun. He dove at 2am and said that there is a lot of cool stuff to see that early in the morning.

I will be out of town this year ](*,) but we hope to let all our divers know how cool this event is.
Amy Rhodes
PADI Master Instructor #183890
A-2-Z Scuba Instruction
http://www.a2zscuba.com
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

Thanks Amy!

Last year Wylerbear and I did three night dives, all of them great. Our favorite tho, was the dawn dive, where we saw the transition from night to morning. First, and so far only, time I've seen that, and it was amazing. While doing our safety stop at the pilings G pointed up; I turned and looked to see daylight. We turned our lights off and came in using the ambient, gray hues of an early morning light. Magic.

-Valerie
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

Hmmm....

I have a gig Friday night. #-o But I could see going home after the gig, changing into my undergarment, then trekking down to Redondo...

Need to think about that....
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Well, those dates couldn't be more "in the window" for Baby Sounder's arrival... if he's yet to arrive, I'll happily come along and will leave my cell phone with someone up-top who can come get me if, while I'm diving, they get "the call."

Alternatively, if we do have a little guy by then and all is well, we might just come out to say hi for baby's first dive event.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

http://www.divearoundtheclock.com/

The new website is up and running, and on it you can download registration forms, sponsor sheets, and/or set up your webpage for collecting online donations.

Again the dates are Friday, July 25 beginning at 4:00 PM, running thro Saturday, July 26th at 4:00 pm. Come on down to dive, help out, or give us money :prayer:

Also, I'm going to be doing "DAN at the Beach" with all proceeds, less material costs, going to the Dive Around the Clock cause (ie, Children's Cancer Research). I'll be offering the On-Site Neurological Assessment class (Oxygen Provider is a pre-requisite) and, if there is enough interest or desire, an Oxygen Provider class as well.

So, come on down to dive or learn, or both, it's all for a good cause!

-Valerie
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

Just to clarify the website, 2008's Dive Around the Clock is found at http://www.divearoundtheclock (add on the www or you'll come to last year's site, soon to be disappeared).

In addition to having some DAN at the Beach classes (with all profit going to DATC) we will also have Rogest prints available for sale, again, with all profit going to DATC. You may recognize Rogest from his many charitable works including those with DAN, and he was also at the Dive Expo (his art was on the back of the t-shirts). His work is amazing and he has graciously donated images for our use. I'll post the image shortly.

Rogest is at http://www.rogest.com

We'll be in need of lots of help over the 24 hours plus, with set up, break down, food/coffee runs, air fill runs and general help. Anyone who wants to volunteer please PM.

Thanks.

-Valerie
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Pending no unexpected Baby Sounder sightings, I'm planning to be there though I'm waiting on registration just yet... who knows what that little bugga will do.

If I'm able to make it, and if Grateful Diver is also available (TBD), I bet we could help fill a few slots. :partyman:
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Post by pogiguy05 »

I am tempted to give this my all as fir the diving part. last year I seen someone with an RV and I am sure it was for someone who was filling in and diving multiple dives. However, I really dont think the wife would let me get away with 24 hours of diving fun. :axe: Never hurts to ask though HUH. I still have to register and surely collect some donations.
Jeff Castor
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

Just another reminder that Dive Around the Clock begins at 4:00 PM tomorow, Friday, July 25 and runs thro 4:00 pm Saturday, July 26. Even if you aren't diving, come on down and say hello, make a donation, bring snacks :evil4:

Also for sale is a print generously donate by Rogest (the real thing looks MUCH better than the image on the website)

http://www.divearoundtheclock.com/Poster_main_.htm

Our very own Wylerbear (aka Georgia) and myself (Valerie) will be manning the First Aid/Safety station, at least, when we're not in the water doing our total of 3 hours, all during the night shift. Three night dives at Redondo? I'm in heaven! :smt051

For the closing ceremonies a special family is going to speak about their experience with Children's Hospital and Cancer, which should be very moving so bring tissues. Plus, the rest of us will be so tired by then that the place will be flooding with tears.

Hope to see some of you during the Big Event, please make a point of saying "hi' (and telling us your screen name).

Thanks!

-Valerie
BUZO71
Aquaphile

Post by BUZO71 »

Just like last year :salute: , I'm heading up tomorrow afternoon from Salem, Oregon to dive the 9:30pm dive. :supz: :supz: :supz: It was a great time last year and have no doubt it will be again! Looking forward to it!!!!!
Fortes fortuna iuvat
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Post by pogiguy05 »

I enjoyed doing this last year and my dive buddy and I will be diving the 26th at 11am and 1pm. :bounce:
Jeff Castor
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Pending no unexpected birthing, I'll be there around 8:30am to dive and play. \:D/
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Hmmm.... questions:

-If I haven't arranged to be "sponsored", can I still come and dive?

-If I don't have a buddy, ...well, you know.

-Would this be a good way to get dives #299 and #300 in? :rr:
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Tom Nic wrote:Hmmm.... questions:

#299 & 300?! Fill your tanks buddy - I'll see you tomorrow morning. I believe you can register on the site for $35 and get a t-shirt. If all the slots are filled, I'm sure we can find a piece of water to blow bubbles in.

Check your email...
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Sounder wrote:
Tom Nic wrote:Hmmm.... questions:

#299 & 300?! Fill your tanks buddy - I'll see you tomorrow morning. I believe you can register on the site for $35 and get a t-shirt. If all the slots are filled, I'm sure we can find a piece of water to blow bubbles in.

Check your email...
I'm in!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

Woo-hoo! :supz: Look for Georgia and I, we'll be some of the ones with ocular valises....

(that's bags under the eyes...)

-Valerie
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

Setting up for the Big Day...

Proud Parent with eggs (forground)

One of about one million Blackbelly Eelpouts we saw that night...

Blurry shot of a snailfish

And another

Lovely little Stubby Squid that kept us company

And, of course, an octo shot

And the rest are here:
http://jellyfish.smugmug.com/gallery/55 ... 1896_XwUsC
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

So.....Both of those are snailfish, Val? We were debating that last Wedneday after Tom and I got a few pics of them.
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY