Kids, Diving, & Things to Come

General banter about diving and why we love it.
diver-dad
Compulsive Diver

Kids, Diving, & Things to Come

Post by diver-dad »

Thought I'd share a thought that popped into my head about kids, diving, and the future.

While diving is certainly not for everyone, and especially not for all kids, not only is diving a fantastic sport, but it really puts you in touch with the environment.

Now I ain't a tree-huggin,' tofu eatin,' liberal, but having been raised on hunting, fishing, camping, and the outdoors, I have a real appreciation for what the Good Lord gave us in this world. Global warming is pretty much a recognized reality, and one of the first places it will be seen is underwater in reduction of coral reefs - its already happening. I just hope we haven't already screwed things up so much that it's unrecoverable. :toimonster:

Introducing kids to the joys and wonders of diving (even snorkeling) (or any of the outdoors sports for that matter) not only gives them something healthy to enjoy for their entire lives, but may also have a positive effect on things to come since these kids will be the voting public and future leaders of industry and our country in just a few years.

I guess what I'm saying is that what you do to foster our sport may have far reaching and long-term positive effects!!!

(Probably my biggest concern is China :smt027 - now coming into the industrial age with their millions of people who will use the machinery, cars, power plants, and other things that produce greenhouse gasses at a fantastic rate. :angryfire: For all the controls we place on ourselves, I think the pollution they will produce will far outweigh any benefit we gain from regulating ourselves. - but we can't give up on doing the right thing)

A couple of weeks ago, there was a news program on TV dealing with global warming (sort of the same theme as Gore's movie which I haven't seen), and one idea put forward in the show particularly struck me: while it took millions of years for coal, oil, and gas deposits to form, as we use them, we are releasing them into the atmosphere over a matter of a couple of centuries. You know - they're right!

Whatchuguysthink?
- DD

"Always do right -- this will gratify some and astonish the rest."
-Mark Twain
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

I'm on the same page as you, Diver Dad- We don't really know the scope of what Global Warming will do- the biggest consequence may be a large-scale human die-off, as well as the extinction of some species. I believe that life, and the earth, will endure, but to assume that there will never be any consequences for what industrialization has done is naive. China, and the rest of the developing world, are a real concern- while we in the first world consume the majority of global resources, much of the second and third world have little to nothing in terms of environmental protection. And they're the industrial producers, now.

I don't have kids, and don't plan to, so my perspective is, by definition, different. But it's hard for me to see how global population and resource consumption can expand at current rates without something "culling the herd", so to speak. Maybe we're overdue.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Irreversible???

Post by Pez7378 »

I would like to comment on this. I too saw the "Global Warming" show. Very interesting. What I got out of it was this.......Excessive CO2 emitted into the atmosphere causes temps to rise. Trees provide Oxygen and take in CO2. We provide CO2 and take in Oxygen. We cut down trees, less Oxy for us...less CO2 consumed by the trees...more into the atmosphere. (hope I got the gasses right) I'm definately not a tree hugger, but I'm not a logger either. Stop cutting down the rain forests and maybe this can all be reversed?

The other more important thing I got out of the show was this.......Within the next century picture the polar caps melted and Miami Florida under water 50 miles off shore!!!!!! Hope I'm a better diver when that happens!
:supz: :supz: Your kids would have some really killer dive sites!!
diver-dad
Compulsive Diver

Re: Irreversible???

Post by diver-dad »

Pez7378 wrote: The other more important thing I got out of the show was this.......Within the next century picture the polar caps melted and Miami Florida under water 50 miles off shore!!!!!! Hope I'm a better diver when that happens!
:supz: :supz: Your kids would have some really killer dive sites!!
Yeah - and just think about all those thousands upon thousands of artificial reefs the buildings will provide. .... Too bad there won't be any coral alive to grow on them! :-({|=
- DD

"Always do right -- this will gratify some and astonish the rest."
-Mark Twain