Slightly Warmer Pacific Waters :)

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
lundysd
Extreme Diving Machine

Slightly Warmer Pacific Waters :)

Post by lundysd »

Just got back from a fantastic trip to Cabo San Lucas, Mexico for some fun in the sun. Did 9 dives at local diving spots, Cabo Pulmo, and Gordo Banks. Some of the best diving I've experienced if you like the big stuff. We saw a school of dwarf manta rays twice, eagle rays, grouper bigger than me, stingrays, morays, barracuda. It truly was fantastic.

My last dives were at Gordo banks -- we hadn't seen anything on the previous dive, and as we were ascending to our deep stop depth, we ran into a school of 30+ hammerheads!!! Then 2 mins later at 60ft we ran into a 6-7ft Marlin!! Sorry about the lack of pictures of these guys -- they're pretty fast, and I didn't get any good shots of them.

Here are some of my favorite shots from the trip

BDub
I've Got Gills

Re: Slightly Warmer Pacific Waters :)

Post by BDub »

I hate you

Great shots, as always. I still hate you
Last edited by BDub on Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.frogkickdiving.com/

"It's a lot easier when you're not doing it" - CaseyB449

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Very cool! Thanks for sharing!

Did you dive on your own or with an operator? Resort? Out of the back of your pickup? Water temps?

Craving a few more details here!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

Nice :supz:

It's a shame you weren't around for the great vis we've been having lately. I'm afraid you've missed it though. It's really getting murky out there.
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

Awesome, Scott! :supz:
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
lundysd
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by lundysd »

I know Chris!!! While I can't deny that I had a blast, missing the epic viz here did sting a little bit. Oh well -- there's always that next perfect week in 3 years or so :)

I dove out of Cabo with Manta Divers -- it was a fantastic dive op with some great DMs. We left every morning for the dive spots -- Pulmo is 2 hrs away (4 with bad weather like we had coming back in), Gordo is an hour away, and the local diving is about 5 minutes. Local diving included the sand falls (very cool), sea lion colony (too much current this week to dive), and diving in the Corridor (about 20 minutes away).

The local diving had SPECTACULAR rock structure -- canyons, boulders, and some really impressive sandfalls that really do shoot sand directly into the neighboring 3000ft abyss.

In terms of QUANTITY of life, Pulmo is AMAZING. We must have seen schools of 1000 yellow grunts, barracuda, and jacks on every dive. The reef is pretty so-so, but the life is really impressive here.

Gordo Banks is a wild card. We saw 2 things I was really dying to see there, but that was only for a combined time of 30 seconds on 2 deep dives (and 3kt current). It could have easily turned into a blank on both dives. Minimum depth to hit the rocks at this site is 130ft, so we really just hung out above the bottom and looked around for the big fish at 110 and shallower. If I were to do it again, I'd descend to 100, hang for some time, ascend to 60, stay for a long time, and then slowly come up with a looong safety stop.

Honestly I was VERY lucky for this week of diving -- water 2 weeks prior was a chilly 62, while our week hovered in the low 80s (with a 7 degree thermocline at depth -- pacific upwellings are coooold). Viz likewise was crap the week before, but we experienced 50ft+ on every dive. Seeing the pelagics was also pretty fortunate -- schooling hammerheads are always uncommon, the marlin was a pretty rare event, and the manta school even got the DMs really excited. All in all, this dive spot has much more variability than the other Mexican dive sites like Cozumel -- in my case it was far better, but I can see how it could have been far worse as well. I think if you are craving pelagics and have the extra $$$, then the Solmar V (which leaves our of Cabo for the Socorro Islands) is a pretty sure bet for epic diving.
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Fantastic photos, Scott! What were you shooting? Definitely nice to thaw out there. I found diving off of Cabo to be sort of like a cross between our waters and those of the Caribbean, in terms of the marine life.
lundysd
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by lundysd »

Thanks Calvin -- I shoot a d70s in an Ike housing with a single DS-125 -- basically as budget dSLR rig as there is, but I find it works pretty well. Not if the guy manning the shutter could only get his act together... :bounce:
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

There are some nice pictures there, Scott, but the last one is extraordinary. That's a "frame and put up on the wall" picture if I ever saw one.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

BDub wrote:I hate you

+1

Dude, your photography is really getting to be top notch
Fishstiq wrote:
To clarify.........

I cannot stress enough that this is MY PROBLEM.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

very nice shots, scott!

i'll be spending a week in cabo pulmo in november, hopefully seeing a lot of what you describe.
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

BDub wrote:I hate you

:laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3:

Oh man I was laughing out loud while here at work and I about fell out of my chair.

I never thought, "I hate you", would be so funny!

Great Pictures! =D> =D>

I agree with Lynn, That last picture is Awsome! {now be honest, did you actually take those last two pictures youself?}
If you did, you should be submitting them somewhere to get published! :salute:
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz: