Black Dragon 7/27/08

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Re: Black Dragon 7/27/08

Post by Grateful Diver »

Nailer99 wrote:
Grateful Diver wrote:What would be the possibility of cleaning up some of the line that's already on there ... so that doesn't happen to somebody else?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I've been thinking I should devote some bottom time to that.
Lemme know if you want a dive buddy ... and when you'd be thinking to do it ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Grateful Diver wrote:
Nailer99 wrote:
Grateful Diver wrote:What would be the possibility of cleaning up some of the line that's already on there ... so that doesn't happen to somebody else?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I've been thinking I should devote some bottom time to that.
Lemme know if you want a dive buddy ... and when you'd be thinking to do it ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
You don't happen to own a boat, by any chance, do you?
:smt027
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Nailer99 wrote: You don't happen to own a boat, by any chance, do you?
Uh uh ... been there, done that ... don't ever want to be that broke again ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Grateful Diver wrote:
Nailer99 wrote: You don't happen to own a boat, by any chance, do you?
Uh uh ... been there, done that ... don't ever want to be that broke again ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Lol. Yeah, you can quadruple the price of anything, just by putting the word "marine" in front of it.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

That line looks "this summer fresh". I know it wasn't there August '07 when I did the BDragon. I am headed there in October and will try to pull some out of there. It looks poorly run and I can't figure out why they ran it anyway?? Hopefully it will be easy to remove.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

CaptnJack wrote:That line looks "this summer fresh". I know it wasn't there August '07 when I did the BDragon. I am headed there in October and will try to pull some out of there. It looks poorly run and I can't figure out why they ran it anyway?? Hopefully it will be easy to remove.
I can think of some potential reasons ...

- "guideline" in poor vis
- "pull and glide" line in current
- because they needed practice

All of those (plus the fact that it looks poorly run) would suggest divers who are newly-teched ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

How is pull and glide line installed??

I don't think this was "practice". This was being told about line in a class or something and running it (here) cause they didn't know any better. Obviously they didn't really use it to navigate, just eff around. When I did the BDragon last August vis was 50+ft and navigation was easy peazy. No line, scooters.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Romer Treece
Pelagic

Post by Romer Treece »

Yeah we were just talking about doing this. The problem is it will probably take a couple dives at the least to get it all. These pics don't do the destruction justice. I mean it is all over the place!! Not only cave line but climbing rope (which we grappled) 4 anchors (just what I saw) which have a crap load of line each connected to them (although we recovered one) and various other bits of line. Not only is it tangled around the WHOLE wreck but at least two ends are floating free in the current. It is what I would call someones pre-wreck penetration class nightmare. :angryfire: :angryfire:
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Dan
If you don't get to it, we'll try and grab at least some of it. Sounds like there's alot more than we'll be able to tackle ourselves tho.
RJ
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

CaptnJack wrote:How is pull and glide line installed??
It's simple, if you're not concerned about removing the line at the end of the dive (which obviously they weren't).

Ain't sayin' that's what happened ... just suggesting it as a possibility ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Romer Treece
Pelagic

Post by Romer Treece »

We're going back in August to film more for the documentary, so we will tackle more then. :salute:
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Romer Treece wrote:We're going back in August to film more for the documentary, so we will tackle more then. :salute:
awesome :smt038 I expect a clean ship by the time we arrive in early October :smt065
Romer Treece
Pelagic

Post by Romer Treece »

yeah we'll clean some of that up, but the surface supplied light cables I'm using; I'm gonna cut those and leave those behind. :supz:
Kirby
Aquaphile

Post by Kirby »

Nice report on the dive. Biggest rock fish I have ever seen under there. I was very appreciative of whoever it was who laid that line from the rail back to the upline. I had a tense moment looking for it, didn't want to let go for fear of getting blown by the line as the current increased, and didn't want to shoot off the deck blind. It was the hardest I have ever had to work at 160 ft, and alot of travel time for only 25 min on the bottom, but great company, and good times. My heart goes out to the folks who never made it to the wreck. Good news is, it's still there waiting for next time.

Just signed on for the Coaster dive on the 24th, need a dive buddy for the trip. Anyone happen to be going that would like to team up? drop me a PM or call.

Kirby Pollard
(253) 347-2817
Hi, My name is Kirby, and I am addicted to Nitrogen Narcosis.