Oregon Dive Sites

A place for Oregonians to plan a car-pooling road trip, find a nearby diveable mudhole, and meet new local dive buddies.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Oregon Dive Sites

Post by spatman »

Here's a list of Oregon dive sites found over in our DIve Site Listing forum. If you've added a new one, and don't see it here, please PM me.

Clear Lake

Netarts Bay Boat Ramp East Wall - Tillamook

Bar Vew Jetty - Garibaldi

Wallowa Lake - Northeast Oregon

RenaB
Aquaphile

Re: Oregon Dive Sites

Post by RenaB »

I don't know much, but is there a way to get to cape lookout from the beach? Because I would love to try this without a boat if possible.
Rena

Drink water, breathe air. Never get these mixed up.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

RenaB wrote:I don't know much, but is there a way to get to cape lookout from the beach? Because I would love to try this without a boat if possible.
From a friend too lazy to log in:

"As far as I know, Cape Lookout because of the Boy Scout camp is accessible... If you're determined. It would e a long walk in (a mile plus) and a fairly good surface swim to decent diving. It would be best dive by a shore launched boat or kayak."
RenaB
Aquaphile

Post by RenaB »

Lol Ty
Rena

spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

RenaB wrote:Lol Ty
Rena, check out Oregon Scuba Club on Facebook for local info.

RenaB
Aquaphile

Post by RenaB »

Thank you for the information. We camp there quite a bit. Maybe one weekend I will walk down by the camp and see what it looks like. I also have a very close friend that has been a leader for years. She can give me a reference for access, but it won't be worth it, if the walk with gear is going to be a pain. I am fairly determined. The reason? There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of access for us here in Oregon.

I understand that the currents aren't the greatest to fight against, but why does WA get all the man made scuba areas? Are there really no good places to get people to work on? Is it a money issue? I am willing to dedicate some time. I am actually not that far from the sound, when you consider that I am about 2 hours from the water right now.
Rena

guitarmaker
Dive-aholic

Post by guitarmaker »

RenaB wrote:but why does WA get all the man made scuba areas? Are there really no good places to get people to work on? Is it a money issue? I am willing to dedicate some time. I am actually not that far from the sound, when you consider that I am about 2 hours from the water right now.
Hi Rena,
Our lucky dive buddies to the north have a big advantage over us called the Puget Sound which, other than tidal exchange, is like diving a big lake with ocean critters. Off shore Oregon has some excellent diving but it mostly requires a boat along with favorable ocean conditions. There are a couple (I think) dive charters operating during the summer/fall months mostly going out of New Port. Another option might be sea kayaks. Haven't tried it but I know a couple folks who launch out of Pacific City.
Cheers!

Ron
Furnari
Aquaphile

Post by Furnari »

If you head south you have a few more options as far as shore dives. Port Orford in particular is pretty nice as it's actually an ocean dive as opposed to an estuary. There's a few beach dives from Coos Bay on down, but they're obviously weather dependent. One place I think is underrated is the Winchester Bay "Triangle". As it's protected, you can almost always get in. The viz is usually not that great, but when my brothers and I started diving we'd splash there pretty frequently.