Kuaui & Ni'ihau Photos

Post and discuss beautiful underwater photos and video brought back from the depths of the sea.
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Kuaui & Ni'ihau Photos

Post by Tangfish »

Well, I was going to wait until I had a chance to write a whole trip report to post these photos here, but realistically I won't have time to write it before I head off to Denver for the DNC.

Here are my underwater photos from Hawaii!
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Re: Kuaui & Ni'ihau Photos

Post by Maverick »

Oh My god. Sweat pictures dude. \:D/
Maverick

Diving. . . is an active physical form of meditation. It is so silent- You're like a thought.

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR
ANYTHING, BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE
STAIRS.
Ken G
I've Got Gills

Post by Ken G »

Damn Calvin.... You are getting good with an u/w camera! Looks like a great tip
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

Beautiful! I always love lionfish, and you got some stellar shots of those. Your pics of other divers were cool too.
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Calvin, thanks for sharing these! REALLY NICE!!!!!!

:smt038

- Ben
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Many beautiful photographs, as usual. I love the sleeping monk seal on the ledge, and the shot through whatever that pipe or tunnel was. And I envy you the zebra moray -- I have yet to see one of those!

But for me, the best pictures are the macro stuff of the crinoids and corals and nudibranchs. I love the way the camera can show me a degree of detail I can't possibly get when I'm there in person, and I marvel at the eye of the photographers who can see what a wonderful picture is there to be had.

Thanks for sharing these, Calvin.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Calvin, that new camera has really launched your work onto another plane- those are fantastic shots. Also- I think those are some of the first shots I've ever seen you do with divers in them- I love that!
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Thanks everyone, very kind words. Thank gosh y'all didn't see the other 999 photos of me "learning" how to shoot the new rig :crybaby:

Josh, the Sea&Sea Y-250 strobes allow me to shoot things at a distance that wasn't possible before.

Lynn, I have a macro lens and port that I haven't tried yet, I can't wait to get it wet.

The crazy thing about the manual DSLR rig is that there are so many darn settings that overall, I get many fewer shots that turn out, but when you get it right they are really good. Even during the week I learned so much, but the end I was seeing subjects moving through the water, like the seals, and automatically making adjustments that led to decent shots. A huge learning curve over the beginning of the week when everything was either way too blue, blown out or underexposed. The automatic settings are worthless underwater, so everything is freestyle!
mattwave
Amphibian

Post by mattwave »

VERY IMPRESSIVE! The one turtle shot is an award winner for sure.
"Scuba Like You Love It!"
Let's go diving
OreCoastDiver
Avid Diver

Post by OreCoastDiver »

Calvin, Great photos! I was surprised to see the two photos of the red lionfish (Pterois volitans). I didn't think they lived as far east as Hawaii. Where did you find them. Are they considered an invasive species like they are on the East Coast? (See http://www.ccfhr.noaa.gov/stressors/inv ... /Lionfish/)

Thanks for posting the photos.
Brandon
Compression is good for the soul.
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

I took those shots of the lionfish while diving off of Ni'ihau, the outermost inhabited Hawaiian island. Is this something that should be reported to Janna?