Has anyone dove at Cannon Beach, ORegon?

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
oregondiver
Submariner

Has anyone dove at Cannon Beach, ORegon?

Post by oregondiver »

I am part of a whitewater kayaking group that is hosting a large kayaking event at Cannon Beach (Ecola State Park, Indian Beach) on September 6th. I was thinking of bringing scuba gear, but don't know if anyone has dove there. I know it has a good current, but if I stayed away from the rocks and just bummed around underwater in the surge, if there was anything to see/do (besides scaring the crap outta surfers).

(for those of you who are interested in kayak surfing, email me, I can get you the deets if you wanted to come try it out).
Discussing the Whites Fusion: "Looks like you are wearing a startrek leotard with bunched-up undies..." -Airsix

"fins are like shoes....you can never have enough pairs." -Lizard0924
divernick
Aquaphile

Re: Has anyone dove at Cannon Beach, ORegon?

Post by divernick »

I think Sparky tried it once. Send him a PM and he'll probably be happy to tell you about it.
loanwolf
Pelagic

Re: Has anyone dove at Cannon Beach, Oregon?

Post by loanwolf »

Not much their but sand and surf dives. you may find something off the state park but you have to go south to find a decent dive on the Or coast pretty barren. If you have a scooter at least you can cover good distances and that will make it a little more interesting of a dive. But if you have never done surf dives before take care. Getting in and out can be treacherous on the Pacific Coast.

http://www.shorediving.com/Earth/USA_We ... ndex.htm#1
Greg
Life is Short do as Much as Possible in as Short of Period of Time as Possible.
AB219
Aquaphile

Re: Has anyone dove at Cannon Beach, ORegon?

Post by AB219 »

oregondiver wrote:I am part of a whitewater kayaking group that is hosting a large kayaking event at Cannon Beach (Ecola State Park, Indian Beach) on September 6th. I was thinking of bringing scuba gear, but don't know if anyone has dove there. I know it has a good current, but if I stayed away from the rocks and just bummed around underwater in the surge, if there was anything to see/do (besides scaring the crap outta surfers).

(for those of you who are interested in kayak surfing, email me, I can get you the deets if you wanted to come try it out).

Never dove that area , but heard people diving out there. I have dove a reef off of Haystack Rock from a boat....
If your not near the rocks, I think you well be seeing alot of sand and kelp debris.

Watch the swell report for the ocean, if it is larger then 6 feet you don't really want to dive there unless it is in a well protected cove.

gl
Let's Go Diving at:
A) Oregon coast
B) Fort Bragg California
C) Monterey California
D) Puget Sound Washington

"It's not about the dive, but the journey taken."