Lobster in Puget sound?

Fish & Invertebrate sightings and descriptions, hosted by resident NWDC ID expert Janna Nichols (nwscubamom).
dphershman
Aquanaut

Lobster in Puget sound?

Post by dphershman »

We found a lobster today-- my buddy Andy who's from Maine says that its a Maine lobster?

????? :smt119
2812039969_c881efa9b1.jpg
Dan Hershman :smt024
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Re: Lobster in Puget sound?

Post by dsteding »

Looks like it to me. My guess is someone "let it go." Catch it and eat it.
Fishstiq wrote:
To clarify.........

I cannot stress enough that this is MY PROBLEM.
Kalatin
Dive-aholic

Post by Kalatin »

We saw this him too. For a few minutes, I thought I had a bad air mix or was starting to have some form of underwater hallucination. Then I started to have wonderful thoughts of melted butter. My buddy made very clear "yummy yummy in my tummy" gestures, followed by a clear shout of "that's a f*$&@ing lobster." We left him alone - he looked comfy (but delicious).
"Another marathon, rush hour trek to foolishly compress myself and risk bodily harm and/or death to look at fishies!!! I love it!" - Casey B.
"The circle of life is a bitch when you're hungry." - Sockmonkey
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Post by Sockmonkey »

Having lived in Boston for the past 10 years I can safely say that is an atlantic (or maine) lobster.

I saw it too... with Kalatin... My first reaction after having it pointed out was "And?" seeing that where I used to dive on Cape Ann is lousy with bugs. Makes me want to release some dungeness into Boston harbor... you know.. for science.

We tried to lure it out with melted butter but it gave us the claw.

-Eric
Kalatin wrote:We saw this him too. For a few minutes, I thought I had a bad air mix or was starting to have some form of underwater hallucination. Then I started to have wonderful thoughts of melted butter. My buddy made very clear "yummy yummy in my tummy" gestures, followed by a clear shout of "that's a f*$&@ing lobster." We left him alone - he looked comfy (but delicious).
"I used to do this for fun, but now, I do it for nothing" -Not Joshua Smith

:eric: Hawaiian Seamonkey Blog
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

Spatman, Pez, Fishstiq, Sheri, Scottsax, and myself saw it as well. Deliciously comfy is a good way to describe him.

It made an awesome dive at Redondo that much better. W00t!
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Post by Sockmonkey »

Penopolypants wrote:Spatman, Pez, Fishstiq, Sheri, Scottsax, and myself saw it as well. Deliciously comfy is a good way to describe him.

Hopefully no one goes out there and snags the poor lost bug :(

-Eric

dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

Sockmonkey wrote:
Penopolypants wrote:Spatman, Pez, Fishstiq, Sheri, Scottsax, and myself saw it as well. Deliciously comfy is a good way to describe him.

-Eric
I actually still say eat it. Who knows if he/she is gonna find a mate . . .
Fishstiq wrote:
To clarify.........

I cannot stress enough that this is MY PROBLEM.
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Post by Sockmonkey »

dsteding wrote:
Sockmonkey wrote:

-Eric
I actually still say eat it. Who knows if he/she is gonna find a mate . . .
So you're saying without someone to mate with... there's no point living? ;)

Hmmm if it has a good enough food source it could grow to be pretty huge... and provide entertainment for countless scuba type people. I couldn't get a read on if it looked MA legal... but I would guess it to be around a pound.

Lobsters are migratory... who the heck knows what it'll do if it thinks it wants to go on walkabout. I highly recommend The Secret Life of Lobsters if you're into the marine life thing. Best of all it describes lobster sex in great depth (I kill me).

-Eric

Kalatin
Dive-aholic

Post by Kalatin »

Evidently our new friend is not the only Maine native who has relocated to the Puget Sound. There was one found in 1999 by Everett. .
http://www.peter.unmack.net/archive/acn ... /0007.html
"Another marathon, rush hour trek to foolishly compress myself and risk bodily harm and/or death to look at fishies!!! I love it!" - Casey B.
"The circle of life is a bitch when you're hungry." - Sockmonkey
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Sockmonkey wrote: I couldn't get a read on if it looked MA legal... but I would guess it to be around a pound.
i think that lobster was probably two pounds, maybe more... it looked about 14-15" long...
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

Looked like a rather healthy bug to me. I couldn't frigging believe my eyes. I waved Matt over to take a pic while Joe and I rubbed our tummies. On one hand I thought nobody would believe us, on the other hand I thought, why wouldn't they? After all we were diving at Redondo. Let's see those pics Matt!
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

this is the only one that came out ok...
CIMG2093.JPG
60south
Pelagic

Post by 60south »

Two words: Invasive Species.

(Sorry to be a killjoy.)
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

60south wrote:Two words: Invasive Species.

(Sorry to be a killjoy.)
Somebody had to say it. Steding is heading up the Invasive Species removal team as we speak......Dinner at Dougs place!
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

60south wrote:Two words: Invasive Species.
Tasty DInner.
dphershman
Aquanaut

Post by dphershman »

I don't think one lobster constitutes an invasive species-- I for one think it would be cool to leave this fellow alone to entertain everyone for awhile. Lobster live a long time! (although I have a feeling that the GPO not to far from him may have something to say about it too).
Dan Hershman :smt024
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

Eat it, and enjoy it, and when your done laugh about how cheap the meal was. :supz: although i would have to say if you put a Dungy crab in from of me and a Lobster i would eat the Crab hands down without even thinking. :dontknow:
Maverick

Diving. . . is an active physical form of meditation. It is so silent- You're like a thought.

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR
ANYTHING, BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE
STAIRS.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Maverick wrote:Eat it, and enjoy it, and when your done laugh about how cheap the meal was. :supz: although i would have to say if you put a Dungy crab in from of me and a Lobster i would eat the Crab hands down without even thinking. :dontknow:
then we'd make a good team, mav, because i'd be grabbing that lobster!
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Hmmm.... could we put a leash on it and keep it? Huh, Huh, can we, can we? :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: It could be the Redondo Pet Lobster and grow to a size that could give nightmares to small children! :bounce:

Also, I'll second the recommend on "Secret Life of Lobsters". A great read...
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
60south
Pelagic

Post by 60south »

Just because you only see one doesn't mean that's all there is.

My dear children, I'm not going to lecture you on much damage could be done by something like this. If you don't catch, kill, and eat that critter -- with lots of butter, a side of coleslaw and an IPA -- I will. It will have an urgent and tasty demise.
:occasion5:
divergirl07
Avid Diver

Post by divergirl07 »

Hey- Im out of town on vacation! Can y'all wait till next week to kill & eat it so I can have a chance to see it when I get home??!!!! I would rather have Dungeness also - so I promise not to steal it !!
"Life is short.......... I want it all ...NOW!!"
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

I have difficulty with the idea that one animal constitutes an invasive species. If in fact it's a single that someone turned loose, it's not going to do any harm. On the other hand, if somebody insists on making a meal out of it, wait until I get there!

Seriously, if there's just the one, I vote for leaving it alone so we can all enjoy seeing it. Where at Redondo was it?
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

All joking aside, I want it to live there for a long time, but I think dphershman is right. It's Octo food! Maybe Jan K can draw up a cartoon with the GPO wearing a checkered bib holding a knife and fork!
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Pez7378 wrote:All joking aside, I want it to live there for a long time, but I think dphershman is right. It's Octo food! Maybe Jan K can draw up a cartoon with the GPO wearing a checkered bib holding a knife and fork!
in hindsight, it should have been spatman food!
60south
Pelagic

Post by 60south »

All joking aside, how do you know there isn't another one out there? How do you know it doesn't already have eggs? How do you know it doesn't have a disease or parasite? This is how disasters like the lionfish invasion on the east coast started. The first one is "Oh, isn't that cute! Let's let it live!" And suddenly there's millions of them causing havoc.

Kill the bug!
Kill the bug!
Kill the bug!