BP/W weight options?

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
DiverBob
Compulsive Diver

BP/W weight options?

Post by DiverBob »

I am diving a steel Transplate with the deluxe harness. While diving wet, I wear a 20 lb weight belt and it works well. Trims out very nice. The one thing that I don't like about wearing the weight belt is that it interferes with waist belt for the plate. I end up putting it above the weight belt, and it wants to ride a little lower. I know that there are lot of people who dive with a plate on the forum. My question is, how do you carry the weight? Thanks, Bob
Life is good, let's dive!!
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Re: BP/W weight options?

Post by Dusty2 »

one option would be weight pockets for the harness another would be a weight harness which would allow you to wear the weights lower on your hips. With that small amount of weight I think I would opt for the pockets. There is also the option of attaching the weighs to the BP but that makes them non ditchable.
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

I have the DSS backplate with the weight plates, and something like 9lbs of lead in a dui weight harness. The weight harness is really nice-the weights are ditchable, and it rides low on my hips.
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

How tight are you trying to make the plate's waistbelt?
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
DiverBob
Compulsive Diver

Post by DiverBob »

scottsax wrote:I have the DSS backplate with the weight plates, and something like 9lbs of lead in a dui weight harness. The weight harness is really nice-the weights are ditchable, and it rides low on my hips.

I think that the weight plates that Tobin sells are the best way to add non-ditchable weight. understandable so, they will only fit DSS plates. I am glad you mentioned the DUI harness. I had seen that and was wondering if anyone liked it. SeaSoft makes a weight harness as well, but it is pricey. I will research that further. I did pick up a very gently used Apollo dry suit, so I will have to carry more weight. Thanks for the reply's, Bob
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

My husband uses the DUI Weight & Trim with his backplate and harness, and he likes it. It keeps the weights out of the way, and he can also adjust their height for good trim. So far, he hasn't lost a weight pouch.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

I use a DUI weight & trim rig... have never lost a pouch and would be HIGHLY skeptical that one could come out on accident. I have, however, released them on purpose to ensure they were working.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

i have the dui weight and trim, also. it works well with my bp/w and rides below the harness weight belt comfortably.
Diver_C
Amphibian

Post by Diver_C »

Bblemkr loves, and speaks highly of her DUI weight harness. I'd use it too, but I carry such little extra weight (due to steel BP, steel tanks (either doubles or using single tank adapter), can light, & shell suit) it would be overkill for me. I use little, 5 lbs. weight pockets that fit on my waist belt. I got them from 5th Dimension. I originally used little pockets from XS Scuba, but I didn't like the weights being held in the pockets by just velcro, whereas the 5th D pockets have latches, so they won't accidently fall out. Good luck!
camerone
Submariner

Post by camerone »

Diver_C wrote:I originally used little pockets from XS Scuba, but I didn't like the weights being held in the pockets by just velcro, whereas the 5th D pockets have latches, so they won't accidently fall out. Good luck!
I've been using the XS pockets for a couple of years, and no problems/worries with them. I put five pounds in each side, and, sometimes, with the rebreather, another five up top for trim (on a cam band that holds my diluent bottle.) All velcro will eventually wear out, but these pouches have been going strong for a couple of years with little wear. At $10 each if you search around a bit, I'm okay with just replacing them when they start to look worn.

It beats having to wear a weight belt.
There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots...
Diver_C
Amphibian

Post by Diver_C »

For regular diving those XS Scuba pockets are okay, but I worry about losing weights above water (which I did once), and when jumping out of a rescue boat for a rescue (boat racing accident, not diving accident). I still have the pockets for the taking...
nice-diver
Compulsive Diver

Post by nice-diver »

I love my DUI weight harness. The plate and wing are MUCH lighter now. The weight is on my hips and not my lower back. I can even snorkel in a shell suit with it.
i flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nice-diver/

Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather, because it's easier to harrass rich women than motorcycle gangs!
Peter Guy
Compulsive Diver

Post by Peter Guy »

I'll admit I hate weight belts -- they just sit on my hips and hurt while I'm on land and always seem to not be where I want them to be while in the water. And did I mention they interfered with my breathing? (I ain't got no waist so they just don't work for me.)

I use the DUI harness and really like it. I actually don't know if the pockets will release because (shame on me) I've never pulled them since I took it out of the shop a couple of years ago.

I also use the DSS weight plates on my SS BP when diving a single in cold water which means there is not that much weight in the Harness.

I just did a few warm water dives using my DSS Kydex plate and the XScuba weight pockets on the waist strap. They weren't enough weight (10 lbs) for me to be comfortable (5mm wetsuit, 2mm hooded vest, AL80) so I added some weights into my X-shorts pockets. In the future I'll either bring my DUI harness or my SS BP (or both) when diving warm and wet.
DiverBob
Compulsive Diver

Post by DiverBob »

Thanks for all the reply's, great info! It sounds like the DUI weight and trim harness is very popular. I have done my research and think that I will go that direction. There are 2 styles, a classic and II. Not sure if one is better than the other. I will post a review after my first dive with it, hopefully next week. Thanks, Bob.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

DiverBob wrote:Thanks for all the reply's, great info! It sounds like the DUI weight and trim harness is very popular. I have done my research and think that I will go that direction. There are 2 styles, a classic and II. Not sure if one is better than the other. I will post a review after my first dive with it, hopefully next week. Thanks, Bob.
well, this may stir up some debate, but i prefer the W&TII because of the way the shoulder straps meet in the back. they seem to meet at a lower point, whereas the classic's straps met much higher up at my neck and actually seemed to get in the way of my hood and neck seal. just felt like too much material bunching up behind my head.

this is the W&TII:
4895.jpg
4895.jpg (13.19 KiB) Viewed 1391 times

anybody have a good pic of the classic's straps? i can't find one online...
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

I have and use the Classic DUI Harness. I like it very much and have used it both wet and dry. One downside is that it feels bulky under the BP when diving wet. Oh, and some folks say having it on looks too "techie".

Not a downside of the harness but an effect of airline weight restrictions I am going to try putting weight on pockets attached to my cam bands (Would have done that in July but clumsy me ripped up a toe, cancelling diving on that trip). That would save me the harness weight and bulk when traveling. The obvious downside to that is not having any cheap ditchable weight when using the pocket arrangement.
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.