Viz Reports Thread

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Re: Viz Reports Thread

Post by Sounder »

I'm guessing, and hoping, that Tom is refraining from spending time on the computer and is, instead, diving his arse off.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

I'm guessing, and hoping, that Tom is refraining from spending time on the computer and is, instead, diving his arse off.
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Sounder wrote:I'm guessing, and hoping, that Tom is refraining from spending time on the computer and is, instead, diving his arse off.
You could say that again!

Oh, you already did!

:evil4:
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

BASSMAN wrote:
Sounder wrote:I'm guessing, and hoping, that Tom is refraining from spending time on the computer and is, instead, diving his arse off.
You could say that again!

Oh, you already did!

:evil4:
#-o I knew it was only a matter of time before I got a taste of my own medicine.

Well played. =D>
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

Viz at Les Davis this afternoon was about 20-25 down around the reef. There was a pretty severe halocline up in the shallows, but it only went down about 5 feet.
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Post by Jan K »

Friday - Sares Head 15-20 with silt
Strawberry Island in Deception Pass, very murky 5 feet at best.
http://JanKocian.smugmug.com

I take photos because I like it, not because I'm good at it. :) by Unknown
Benoit
Aquaphile

Post by Benoit »

Alki Pipeline 5pm yesterday - 15ft average with occasional 30ft. Still a nice colorful natural-light dive.
- Benoit.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Cove 2 last night was awesome ... at least 30 feet of vis.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Post by WylerBear »

Grateful Diver wrote:Cove 2 last night was awesome ... at least 30 feet of vis.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
And even better earlier in the day.
Georgia

NOT diving is NOT an option
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Thea Park, AKA "The Mud Pit" On 9-27-08 Vis all the way down to 75 FSW = 1 to 3 feet!
vis opened up a little at 30 FSW coming back up and then went back to the 1 to 3 feet at 20 FSW, this Vis was the worst I've seen yet in P.S. Washington.

:toimonster: :violent1:
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

Harper's Ferry this afternoon was great, about 25 feet and very little guck in the water.
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

BASSMAN wrote:Thea Park, AKA "The Mud Pit" On 9-27-08 Vis all the way down to 75 FSW = 1 to 3 feet!
vis opened up a little at 30 FSW coming back up and then went back to the 1 to 3 feet at 20 FSW, this Vis was the worst I've seen yet in P.S. Washington.

Sigh... Keith, Keith... what have I told you about diving around the Puyallup? :violent1: You expected different maybe? Did you even find the barge?
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Just got back from three days of diving and camping at Porteau Cove, the dive park between Vancouver (BC) and Whistler.

Vis was amazing all three days ... 50 feet or better on every dive ... despite the large tidal exchanges. This was my sixth camping/diving trip up there in the past seven years, and by far the best vis I've ever seen there. Amazing what the structures look like when you can see them ... on one dive I could see the entire sunken bridge from the Granthall. That's gotta be close to 100 feet.

We attempted one dive at Whytecliffe, but currents damn near blew us off the wall and out into the deep ... so we turned the dive barely after it started. Vis was stil awesome ... I could see starfish and crabs getting blown off the wall from maybe 40 feet away.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Tom Nic wrote:
BASSMAN wrote:Thea Park, AKA "The Mud Pit" On 9-27-08 Vis all the way down to 75 FSW = 1 to 3 feet!

Sigh... Keith, Keith... what have I told you about diving around the Puyallup? :violent1: You expected different maybe? Did you even find the barge?

Nope! If we did, we did not see it!
We probably swam right by it or over it. :dontknow:
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

OK, let's see:

Karpata, Bonaire - 100'

Three Tree North, Washington - 10' to 20'

There was this weird and disappointing algae bloom in the water today that made viz in the shallows 10' or less. It opened up to maybe 15' or a hair more in spots at depth, but it still wasn't good. So disappointing! As you're gearing up in the shallows it looks so promising, "Viz should be great!" - then you drop, and :toimonster: Oh well, good to be back diving in the cold!
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Post by Jan K »

Thursday 9th. Langley Tire Reef, lousy viz all the way down to the deepest part. Ten feet maybe, filled with algae muck ](*,)
http://JanKocian.smugmug.com

I take photos because I like it, not because I'm good at it. :) by Unknown
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Redondo, 10-16, 10-15'

Les Davis, 10-17, 10-15'.

(Yes Ron, THAT Les Davis!) \:D/

Anybody know when our Winter viz will finally arrive?
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

Tom Nic wrote:Redondo, 10-16, 10-15'

Les Davis, 10-17, 10-15'.

(Yes Ron, THAT Les Davis!) \:D/

Anybody know when our Winter viz will finally arrive?
Good for you, Tom! I wish I could have been there today. Any pics/report to follow?
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

cardiver wrote: Any pics/report to follow?
http://www.nwdiveclub.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=5878

Wish you could have been there as well!
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

Did two dives with Bassman tonight at Redondo. Viz was 20-25 fsw and the critters were out in force!
Attachments
CIMG1243.JPG
CIMG1250.JPG
CIMG1236.JPG
CIMG1199.JPG
CIMG1177.JPG
-Ron T.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Nice pictures as usual, Ron! How small was that octo? From its proportions it looks like maybe it was REALLY small?
-Ben
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

It was maybe 2-3 " across, Ben. We saw four baby reds, one GPO and a few grunts.
-Ron T.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Oops - I didn't realize this was the viz reports thread! :axe: More reports People!!

-Les Davis 10-27, 15'

-Sund Rock 10-23, 15-20'; 10-25, 5 to 10'

Cool Pics! I love the octo - it looks like an alien even more than "normal"! And the sculpin chowing down on a - what is it? - a perch? What a great find!

Lots of great stuff in the water right now - we've got the end of Summer warmth still (52 or so), beginning Winter viz, and still the number of critters that is left over from Summer before they start going whereever they go for the Winter.

Get out there and dive!
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

Thanks, Tom! That's what I thought also about that little octo. It just seemed to have so much "detail" to it. A very cool find on our way back up the big rope after our second dive. The hungry sculpin was also on our way in and was in about 6 fsw. There was no way he was going to get that perch down his gullet.
-Ron T.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
DiverBob
Compulsive Diver

Post by DiverBob »

Redondo 11-02 about 2pm. We waited in the car for about half an hour for a rain and wind squall to pass. When we dropped there was a crud layer from the wind, but wasn't bad at all. Below was 20+ vis and the temp was 50. There was a strong current on the surface, but was very manageable below 30 ft. It was just my wife and I and we were able to work on our buoyancy that we struggled a little with on our last dive. We both had a great dive and surfaced with "high fives". :supz: Life is good! Bob
Life is good, let's dive!!