Sneaking In

Fish & Invertebrate sightings and descriptions, hosted by resident NWDC ID expert Janna Nichols (nwscubamom).
Fishstiq
Amphibian

Sneaking In

Post by Fishstiq »

Have you ever had a photo of a critter that you thought was okay on the camera, only to find out when you get it on the computer that there are photographic stowaways? You review pictures on the computer, and voila, there's a critter in there that you totally missed during the dive?!?!! I had a couple recently and thought I'd share to see what everyone else had... apologies if i'm repeating an old thread here. :dontknow:

Here I was trying to photograph the grunt sculpin behind the anemonae, and I never saw the fish in the foreground!
Grunt and Friend.jpg
This was supposed to be a fish in a pipe. I never even knew the crab was there.
Gobey and Crab.jpg
Not just front page famous, but above the fold famous...

Waiting for your AIDS test results is no time to be thinking positive.
divergirl07
Avid Diver

Re: Sneaking In

Post by divergirl07 »

I love that!!! here is one I was taking of the alabaster & when I got it home on a big monitor-now ya gotta look close - at about 4o'clock toward the center , on the blue area is an almost see thru nudi!!! #-o
Attachments
063.JPG
"Life is short.......... I want it all ...NOW!!"
Scott G
Aquaphile

Post by Scott G »

happens all the time to me.

my favorite attached... was chasing one of the smallest scalyheads i've tried to track down... . scalyhead was probably an inch long.

Looked at the photo's afterward, not unexpectedly he was out of focus, but in the frame was the smallest cabezon and a very small hermissada (sp?).

BTW, there is also a jingle next to the tail of your newly discovered fish.

Scott
Attachments
IMG_2337-2.jpg
IMG_2337.jpg
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

Fishstiq,

Love it when that happens! With the higher resolution cameras now, I'm finding that it happens more frequently. :)

BTW, I think your Scalyhead Sculpin (your original stowaway fish) may be sitting on egg masses (the lighter color blobs off to the left).

Divergirl, it looks like your see through nudi is an Opalescent. Cool stowaway!

Scott, do you ever find Snubnose Sculpins out there?

- Janna :)
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

This is a great thread!! I'm not a photographer, but looking at the pictures and hearing the stow-aways is like finding Waldo!!
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

I knew something was there, but not what -
Anemoneandcrab.JPG
Chenari
Dive-aholic

Post by Chenari »

Dive at Harper's yesterday revealed quite a few things. Not only did we find a Whitespotted greenling guarding what looked to be about four or five egg masses (Each a different color :dontknow: ) but these couple of pictures later showed some stowaways trying to get in on the photo goods lol

Here, I was going for the nice little Sculpin posed in the middle, but off to the left side of the pic, you'll notice a nice and orange Gunnel head peeking out.

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h65/c ... G_0780.jpg

Here we have a nice little juvenile Painted Greenling with a Sculpin sneaking in lol.

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h65/c ... G_0825.jpg

Which reminds me. Why is it that Juvenile Painteds have a big black spot on their dorsal fin, but adults don't?
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

My most glaring example of an accidental subject was on a San Juans trip ... I took this neat picture of an anemone, and it wasn't until I downloaded it that I noticed who was sitting underneath ...

It was another few months before I ever actually SAW my first candy-stripe shrimp ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

I took this pic a couple of weeks ago at Redondo. I didn't notice the Sailfin until I downloaded the pic to my computer.
Attachments
CIMG0720-1.JPG
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
Fishstiq
Amphibian

Post by Fishstiq »

Nwbrewer wrote:I knew something was there, but not what -
Anemoneandcrab.JPG
Dude, that's a good picture!!!
cardiver wrote:I took this pic a couple of weeks ago at Redondo. I didn't notice the Sailfin until I downloaded the pic to my computer.
I had to look at this for a bit before I could see the Sailfin.. ](*,) once you see it, it practically jumps out at you!!

Bob, I remember being on the Deep Sea and you came up with some great Candystripe Shrimp photos..... I never saw a-one of them!!!!
Not just front page famous, but above the fold famous...

Waiting for your AIDS test results is no time to be thinking positive.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

This little sneak is one of my favorite subjects but I didn't even see it till the the strange orange ray pattern caught my eye on the big screen. Look at the dark area in the lower section at about 7 oclock. It took me quite while to realize I was looking at a grunt sculpin.
3539net.JPG
DiverBob
Compulsive Diver

Post by DiverBob »

Great topic! Here is a picture the we took at Fox Island. It wasn't until we got it downloaded onto the computer that we realized we were looking at 2 crabs! It makes you wonder just how much we are really missing! :dontknow:
Attachments
IMG_0535.JPG
Life is good, let's dive!!
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

This is one where I just kept finding more as I looked closer. I took these two pinpoint gunnels in a toilet at 50 ft. Then when I got it on the computer things just kept popping out at me. First I noticed the sharp-nose sculpin, then the two tiny hermit crabs below the gunnels, then to my surprise I realized the little critter above the gunnels nose was what I thought was a heart crab but after reading Jan's post about Golf ball crabs I realized it was my first ever GB crab! That would have Been enough then I looked at the dark spot to the upper right and there was a Barnacle eating nudibranch! All this in an area about 6 or 7" in diameter.

Isn't nature wonderful! \:D/
103017net.JPG
103017sm_net.JPG
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

I took this one at Redondo yesterday. I thought I was just catching a cute little gunnel for my wife, who has an ongoing love affair with those little fishies, but when I got it on the computer I saw something extra snaking out alongside him. That must have been one super-tiny critter!!!!
tentacle1.jpg
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

dwashbur wrote:I took this one at Redondo yesterday. I thought I was just catching a cute little gunnel for my wife, who has an ongoing love affair with those little fishies, but when I got it on the computer I saw something extra snaking out alongside him. That must have been one super-tiny critter!!!!
tentacle1.jpg
Cool shot! But don't judge the size by what you can see. There could be allot more there than meets the eye.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

We all know how small these pretty little flowers are so you can imagine my surprise when I spotted the tiny little shrimp on the left. No doubt that without the camera it would be invisible.
3012ecu.JPG