Be my guest...rip into me.

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Re: Be my guest...rip into me.

Post by Grateful Diver »

Fishstiq wrote:
Grateful Diver wrote:
Pez7378 wrote: Oh and by the way, I too was inside these wrecks, even though I lacked the proper equipment and training and frankly knew damn well I shouldn't have been there. These weren't deep penetrations mind you, but on occasion I was well outside of the daylight zone.
#-o (Doh, what a moron)

[-X (Dude, you SO know better)

:boxing: (Here, lemme slap some sense into ya)

:violent1: (And just to make sure you get it)

:crybaby: (Yeah ... I know ... you're sorry)

:occasion5: (Just so's ya know I still love ya, let's have a beer)

:partyman: (Uh ... dude, you OK?)

:notworthy: (But mostly, I'm just jealous you had such a great time)
I'm with you right up until the :occasion5: ..... Pez, you know better. Stop trying to impress :prayer: .

:evil4:
It's a "tough love" thing ... see the explanations in parens above ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

60south wrote: Maybe we need a private (or better yet, anonymous?) forum on the board where we can tell scary tales without fear of being trash-talked by fellow NWDC members. Jus' thinkin' out loud...

glenn
Those types of forums exist in one form or another.

For what it is worth, I think the people that are talking trash should be called out. First I heard of it was here, so it isn't our camp.
Fishstiq wrote:
To clarify.........

I cannot stress enough that this is MY PROBLEM.
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

60south wrote:Maybe we need a private (or better yet, anonymous?) forum on the board where we can tell scary tales without fear of being trash-talked by fellow NWDC members. Jus' thinkin' out loud...

glenn

How about if we make up a fake diver as a code name. I propose we name him William Dye. We can call him Will for short. Any time a person makes a diving mistake they can post about it in the third person. "I went diving with Will Dye today. Here's what happened...."

-Ben
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Burntchef
I've Got Gills

Post by Burntchef »

60south wrote:Maybe we need a private (or better yet, anonymous?) forum on the board where we can tell scary tales without fear of being trash-talked by fellow NWDC members. Jus' thinkin' out loud...

glenn
why?? everyone make mistakes, i dont feel we need a fake name to discuss them. its the people who dont learn from them that has the problem. as far as public internet forums ripping into folks who make mistakes thats a whole issue upon itself. remember everyone seems to be a expert at whatever on whatever internet club they belong to. thats one reason why you rarely see the top players on them. all in my opinion ofcourse, take it for what its worth. ive screwed up plenty underwater, heck some of it is on video #-o
Chin high, puffed chest, we step right to it
The choice is there ain't no choice but to pursue it

"Diving the gas is the easy part, not much to it, plenty of retards are using it safely. " jamieZ
60south
Pelagic

Post by 60south »

airsix wrote:How about if we make up a fake diver as a code name. I propose we name him William Dye. We can call him Will for short. Any time a person makes a diving mistake they can post about it in the third person. "I went diving with Will Dye today. Here's what happened...."
Yup, that works. But what if the bone-headed diver is the person posting (e.g., me), and I want to post a cautionary don't-do-what-I-did tale without having other readers go, "Sheesh! I'm never going to dive with THAT guy..."
:violent3:

g
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Cavediver.net has a subforum called "IRAP" (not sure what it stands for, exactly, but it's incident report something). People submit their incident stories to the moderate of the subforum, and they are posted with complete anonymity. The stories are VERY educational, and many of them probably would never have been posted if people had to identify themselves as the principals.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

I don't think it should be necessary. Everybody makes mistakes. We should be able to discuss them without getting down on each other.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
60south
Pelagic

Post by 60south »

I agree, we should be able to post mistakes without getting down on each other. But, as the title of this very thread indicates, that may not be the reality.

Speaking only for myself, anonymity would elicit more honesty.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

LCF wrote:Cavediver.net has a subforum called "IRAP" (not sure what it stands for, exactly, but it's incident report something). People submit their incident stories to the moderate of the subforum, and they are posted with complete anonymity. The stories are VERY educational, and many of them probably would never have been posted if people had to identify themselves as the principals.
I'm gonna talk to Calvin about starting something like this here. I think I like the idea. Sorta like a Catholic Confession, or something.

I'm one of a group that kind of rolls their eyes when I read the somewhat overwhelming "safety safety safety" stuff- I think it goes overboard, at times, and tends to detract from the fun of diving.

But I'm tired of hearing about people going out of air at Seacrest, too- Out of air just shouldn't happen, period. "Gas management", or whatever you want to call it, should be part of every open water class- and it's not.

Maybe we could start a WIKI kind of thing, here on the site, too- A sort of "For The New Diver" info base- pin it up as a living document that could be changed or added to.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

FWIW, I've made many posts about tough dives I've done-search my posts and you'll see. Everyone here has always treated me with respect and understanding, and folks have shared their own scary stories in return. It's one of the reasons I keep coming back to this site....
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
Bric Martin
Aquanaut

Post by Bric Martin »

I am an outsider looking in. I happened to be there last week at Sund Rock. This whole thread makes me sad. Your group should talk about this face to face, privately!
Bric Martin

Save the Oceans, Save Ourselves!
RIP LCF
https://goo.gl/photos/tSdZZHXf4xejLBSz5
https://goo.gl/photos/fTCN7LuFvxWYF11e8
AB219
Aquaphile

Post by AB219 »

Everybody has made a mistake.... and probably the same one on the weekend in question and the ones you will make in the future. You made an error... you lived...and now you know better.

Heck I should be dead.... Did you ever hear about the story about a fish that shot me in the arse!!!

I'll dive with you anytime you want.... your from Oregon!!!!

gl
Let's Go Diving at:
A) Oregon coast
B) Fort Bragg California
C) Monterey California
D) Puget Sound Washington

"It's not about the dive, but the journey taken."
oregondiver
Submariner

Post by oregondiver »

Figured I would close out this thread and explain what happened. I originally wasn't going to explain what happened because 1) I learned from it immediately after it occured and 2) my post was more about the childish actions that a member on this board felt they needed to take instead of talking directly to me.

But as someone told me...it wasn't really an accident that I ran my tank down to 300psi, it was intentional (based on a misunderstanding).

So here goes...
I got my new backplate and wanted to dive it but was worried about weighting (because I use so much possibly in error and how much would I actually lose going to bp). So I was told earlier in the week to get my tank down to 500 and then we will do the weight check after a dive. Made sense to me. What I didn't realize at the time was that they meant to literally..on land..bleed it down. I thought it meant to have a great long dive and then do the weight check as soon as I had my tank around 500.

I used my old gear on my first dive of the day in preparation of bleeding my tank down. But I still ended up coming up with 1700 after a 30 min dive. So I went to find some very nice random strangers and I asked them I if I could join them for a dive because I wanted to 1) dive and 2) use the rest of my tank.

One problem with this second dive is that I didn't really communicate with my buddies until we were in the water, ready to splash. I guess I didn't really know where the middle wall was. I thought they were talking about the near end of the south wall (ergo the middle between north and south walls), not realizing there is a true middle wall, ending around 100feet. I made the decision to dive anyway. I told them that when I got to a certain point of air (I can't remember if I used specific psi) I would turn around and head back.

At the barge I turned around and headed back, and dinked around at 15-20 feet for about 5 minutes to be extra cautious and then surfaced with my planned 300psi.

As soon as I was on shore, I told folks what I did (bled my tank down). And then they immediately set me straight that I did a serious no-no. Their logic made sense to me until they started getting all technical (including hand waving like a Miss America pagent) and then I wasn't able to follow the conversation that well. :smt065

The cool beans is that by posting a topic related to gas management, I got plenty of replies here. I may not know who the piss-ant is that felt a need to talk about me behind my back, but I got tons of great info as a result of my original post. I just wanted to thank everyone (including those who send me links and handouts and offers of being my dive buddy) for all the offers of help. I will probably email some of you regarding your offers of education if reading of the materials I have received are confusing. :book:

The other thing that happened that weekend...I did my weight check (with full tank) with my new bp/w...only to find out the wing leaked like a sieve immediately. Shipped it back to DSS Tobin and am waiting to hear what the scoop is. So I didn't even get to use my new gear! :crybaby:
Discussing the Whites Fusion: "Looks like you are wearing a startrek leotard with bunched-up undies..." -Airsix

"fins are like shoes....you can never have enough pairs." -Lizard0924