Magic Filters

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Magic Filters

Post by Tangfish »

Have any of you photographers out there heard of Magic Filters? I just came across this post that describes a new magic filter, made for compact cameras (like I use). I've been interested in trying these. These are definitely useful for the tropics. Not so sure about our darker, murkier waters. If they were 10 bucks I'd buy them without a thought but at $35 for 1 or $55 for 3 it's a little more spendy than I'd care to pay.

If any of you want to go in on a 3 pack, let me know.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

I imagine they'd just reduce the blue in the picture, but that you'd still have to account for dark and bad vis. On their site, it did say that they don't work at night... 50' in Puget Sound and you're almost already diving at night!

I think my digital camera has a similar feature to that of the magic filter. It has an underwater setting that reduces the blue in pictures and seems to work quite well in tropical water. It's the Canon SD630 and I use it with the Canon underwater case specifically designed for the SD630. For what it's worth, it's a great camera and the best price I could find was from an internet company (authorized dealer) in NY at http://www.adorama.com but they don't carry the magic filter.

Happy Friday everyone!
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
boydski
Submariner

Re: Magic Filters

Post by boydski »

Calvin Tang wrote:Have any of you photographers out there heard of Magic Filters? I just came across this post that describes a new magic filter, made for compact cameras (like I use). I've been interested in trying these. These are definitely useful for the tropics. Not so sure about our darker, murkier waters. If they were 10 bucks I'd buy them without a thought but at $35 for 1 or $55 for 3 it's a little more spendy than I'd care to pay.
Hi Calvin,

I have Magic Filters for both 16mm and 12-24mm lenses. I'd be happy to sell you a single out of my 3 pack. However, they really work best in the tropics. I had good luck using them in Palau recently, and Rand McMeins won "Best in Show" at the Beneath the Sea competition this year with a shot he took in Edmonds using a Magic Filter, so they do work for shallow water shots here.

http://www.beneaththesea.org/v2006/phot ... _2006.html

However, I know Alex and Peter are working on a new version of the filter for Green Water that should be available in October. If you want to use the filters locally, it might be best to wait until October. I might even be interested in splitting the cost with you.

Wow. I just checked the Magic Filter web site and I see they actually have one of my Palau shots of a Turtle up on the web site as a customer example. Very rarified company that photo is keeping!!

http://www.magic-filters.com/gal1/index_2.htm

Scott (Boydski) Boyd
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Cool! Beautiful shot, Scott!

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
Scubak
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubak »

Those photos are amazing.
So, what is this filter made of? How does one use it? Can it be used in PNW waters?
K
"Let's go diving!"
boydski
Submariner

Post by boydski »

Scubak wrote:Those photos are amazing.
So, what is this filter made of? How does one use it? Can it be used in PNW waters?
K
The filters are made of an orange colored gel, much like you see used to cover spotlights at concerts or on a stage. The filter is placed before or after the lens (depending on which lens you use) and it is used in conjunction with the camera's white balance. You manually set the camera's white balance for the depth you are at and by blocking out a lot of the extra blue, it brings back a lot of the color.

For example, here is a natural light shot (no strobe) of a shark at about 60'. Even on an overcast day, it brings back a lot of the sharks color in what would normally be a drab photo.

http://www.boydski.com/diving/trips/Pal ... shark1.htm

Yes, the filter can be used here, but works best in bright sunlight. I think the new greenwater filter they are coming out with will work better here.

Scott (Boydski) Boyd
boydski
Submariner

Post by boydski »

John Rawlings wrote:Cool! Beautiful shot, Scott!

- John
Thanks John!

I had a lot of fun playing with the filters in Palau. We only had one day of sun, so the conditions were not optimal for their use, but I was pretty amazed at the colors they bring back into the photos.

Here's another example of a natural light photo (no strobe) where the magic filter brings back a lot of the colors:

http://www.boydski.com/diving/trips/Pal ... urtle2.htm

Scott (Boydski) Boyd
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

boydski, I'll echo John's compliment on the photos of yours from Palau. The shot of that duck at Edmonds is priceless as well.

Are the filters you have the newer type for compact cameras? If so, I'd be happy to take one off your hands for use in the tropics (and experimentation here) as well as waiting to get one of the green water models in October.

Your photos are evidence enough that they're worth it. :supz:
boydski
Submariner

Post by boydski »

Calvin Tang wrote: Are the filters you have the newer type for compact cameras? If so, I'd be happy to take one off your hands for use in the tropics (and experimentation here) as well as waiting to get one of the green water models in October.
Thanks Calvin,

Unfortunately, the filters that I currently have are not the ones for compact cameras. They are the original filters which are sized for Nikon Lenses. I think Alex and Peter are calling the new Compact Camera filters "Auto Magic" filters because they work with the cameras White Balance in "Auto" mode. My filters require you to manually set the white balance for the depth you are at (or shoot RAW and balance later).

Oh Well.

Scott (Boydski) Boyd
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Those pictures are amazing - especially without a flash! I love turtle/shark picture! Nice work!
boydski
Submariner

Post by boydski »

Sounder wrote:Those pictures are amazing - especially without a flash! I love turtle/shark picture! Nice work!
Thanks Sounder!

The whole no-flash, use a filter thing was pretty new to me, and I must say I was pleased with the results.

Too bad we just don't really get enough sunlight penetrating here to do much of that kind of photography.

Scott (Boydski) Boyd
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

I'm an extremely new divers - still wet behind the ears. I did do several dives in Hawaii on my honeymoon though and we used our little Canon. The underwater setting worked quite well, but I'd be interested to see what the addition of these filters would do for me in a blue-water setting.

Good stuff!