i'm in the dive computer market again

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Re: i'm in the dive computer market again

Post by Nwbrewer »

I take a kids party balloon and see how much it squishes. \:D/
RSdancey
Avid Diver

Post by RSdancey »

Do any of these computers really "penalize" for deep stops at rec depths? I dive with a Vytec and I often take a deep stop of a minute or more when ascending from a 100fsw dive, and I've never had it chirp at me at all. Usually even with a slow ascent when I reach the planned stop depth I'm way ahead of the max time curve. (But then again, I rarely dive to time limits and almost always dive to gas limits so I'm not up against a deco limit to start with...)

RyanD
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

RSdancey wrote:Do any of these computers really "penalize" for deep stops at rec depths? I dive with a Vytec and I often take a deep stop of a minute or more when ascending from a 100fsw dive, and I've never had it chirp at me at all. Usually even with a slow ascent when I reach the planned stop depth I'm way ahead of the max time curve. (But then again, I rarely dive to time limits and almost always dive to gas limits so I'm not up against a deco limit to start with...)

RyanD
Jeanna's does/did. She's had a Vyper for 7 or 8 years, and when she dived it in computer mode, it'd penalize her all the way up until about 22' or so. It really wanted her to get up to the 13 - 22' range quickly. We had several dives where we were hanging out at 15 - 20' for a long time, just to make the computer happy.

It may be an older algorithm though, she hasn't had it out of gauge mode in 3 or 4 years. I don't know if they've changed it or not.
http://www.frogkickdiving.com/

"It's a lot easier when you're not doing it" - CaseyB449

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I've used the Vytec and the Aladin. I like the Vytec because the display is bigger. I went to the Aladin to get the resettable depth averaging, and the stopwatch. The display on the Aladin is smaller, and I found the backlight difficult to use. The logging software for the Aladin is MUCH nicer than Suunto's dive manager.

I may be looking to sell the Aladin here shortly :-)
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

BDub wrote:
RSdancey wrote:Do any of these computers really "penalize" for deep stops at rec depths? I dive with a Vytec and I often take a deep stop of a minute or more when ascending from a 100fsw dive, and I've never had it chirp at me at all. Usually even with a slow ascent when I reach the planned stop depth I'm way ahead of the max time curve. (But then again, I rarely dive to time limits and almost always dive to gas limits so I'm not up against a deco limit to start with...)

RyanD
Jeanna's does/did. She's had a Vyper for 7 or 8 years, and when she dived it in computer mode, it'd penalize her all the way up until about 22' or so. It really wanted her to get up to the 13 - 22' range quickly. We had several dives where we were hanging out at 15 - 20' for a long time, just to make the computer happy.

It may be an older algorithm though, she hasn't had it out of gauge mode in 3 or 4 years. I don't know if they've changed it or not.
Suunto's changed to RGBM in ... I think ... 2003. Before then they were modified Buhlmann like a lot of other computers.

I had a newer Vytec (2004 model), and on those times I would take it into deco it would start crediting deco time in the 40 to 60 foot range, depending on the profile. On those deep dives at Cove 2 I would often be 5-10 minutes into deco (according to the 'puter) when I left the I-beams ... and by the time we left the Honey Bear it would be completely cleared. But it really, REALLY didn't like reverse profiles.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/