Oxy Raider III and IV

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
mattwave
Amphibian

Oxy Raider III and IV

Post by mattwave »

Oxycheq Raider III and IV to ship on Thursday, I know many of you have ordered or inquired about them, for those who were lucky enough to get on the Vets day sale, your lights will be here next week!
"Scuba Like You Love It!"
Let's go diving
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Re: Oxy Raider III and IV

Post by Grateful Diver »

I assume they've fixed the lens problem ... I've had mine for over a month, and I'm still waiting for the replacement part. Right now, it's just an expensive flashlight, since without the lens it won't focus underwater.

First less-than-satisfactory issue I've ever had with Oxycheq ... usually their products are spot-on fantastic. Hopefully this is just a temporary setback ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
mattwave
Amphibian

Post by mattwave »

I will forward your concerns to Patrick Duffy, I am sure he will be happy to reply.
Let's go diving
Alex
Aquaphile

Post by Alex »

Ruh-roh what lens issue?
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

It's probably been resolved, Alex ... they identified the problem several weeks ago.

I ordered my Raider IV on October 1, received it on the 8th, and discovered the problem on the 11th. And I was told the week before DEMA that a replacement lens would be available in a couple of weeks.

My guess is that after they've taken care of all the new sales, they'll get around to taking care of the ones they sold earlier. My hope is that once it does get resolved, I'll be delighted with the light and it'll be worth the aggravation. It's awesomely bright in my living room ... unfortunately, I don't dive there.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Grateful Diver wrote:It's probably been resolved, Alex ... they identified the problem several weeks ago.

I ordered my Raider IV on October 1, received it on the 8th, and discovered the problem on the 11th. And I was told the week before DEMA that a replacement lens would be available in a couple of weeks.

My guess is that after they've taken care of all the new sales, they'll get around to taking care of the ones they sold earlier. My hope is that once it does get resolved, I'll be delighted with the light and it'll be worth the aggravation. It's awesomely bright in my living room ... unfortunately, I don't dive there.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Bob out of my dive light nerd curiousity, what was the issue with the lense?
Alex
Aquaphile

Post by Alex »

I'm going to be swining by Matt's and getting the Raider III soon so I was just curious.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Nwbrewer wrote: Bob out of my dive light nerd curiousity, what was the issue with the lense?
I'm not a dive light nerd, so I don't really know what caused the problem. I only know that the light is bright as all get-out above water, and underwater the beam is so diffuse that I had to hold my glove in front of the light just to make sure it was turned on. Apparently with the first run they left off a piece of the lens that was needed to focus the light underwater.

Like I said, it appears to be a kick-ass light if it works properly ... but mine's been sitting on my dining room table now for six weeks waiting for the replacement part they said I'd need to make it work. Given that they're shipping product, I don't understand why it's taking so long.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

This is the one with the aspheric lense in it I think (Square beam right?) Yeah, it's not gonna focus well underwater without that. Curious that it's taken them that long to get back to you. Patrick seems to be active on the Raider thread on TDS, maybe try hitting him up there? Good luck.

Jake
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Nwbrewer wrote:This is the one with the aspheric lense in it I think (Square beam right?) Yeah, it's not gonna focus well underwater without that. Curious that it's taken them that long to get back to you. Patrick seems to be active on the Raider thread on TDS, maybe try hitting him up there? Good luck.

Jake
I don't do TDS ... waaayyyy too much ego and testosterone on that board to suit me.

I've been trying to work this through the vendor I purchased the light from. Usually when I do that, the results are not satisfactory ... they've already got their money, after all. I guess I'll have to go direct to the manufacturer to get any satisfaction.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

I do my best to avoid posting, but I read through the lights and DIY forums on just about every board, just to see what folks are saying. I've managed to pick up some good ideas that way. You may try an e-mail directly to Oxycheq..... At least from the thread on TDS they seem responsive to customer input/complaints.

Good luck.

Jake
mattwave
Amphibian

Post by mattwave »

Quoted from OxyCheq:
A local dealer shipped out several lights before their time. We added an outer lens to correct for refraction. That is why we did not ship any out until now. The issue is resolved and is history.

Best regards,

Patrick
Let's go diving
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

mattwave wrote:Quoted from OxyCheq:
A local dealer shipped out several lights before their time. We added an outer lens to correct for refraction. That is why we did not ship any out until now. The issue is resolved and is history.

Best regards,

Patrick
Well ... obviously for Patrick this problem is history ... but I've got an expensive and defective dive light sitting at home that it looks like he's not interested in supporting.

A pity ... I've spent a lot of money on Oxycheq gear over the years. That's history too ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Bob, have you gone to Patrick about this? The third-party you bought the light from has obviously left you twisting in the wind, and I would hope Patrick wouldn't stand for this if he knew about it.

-Ben
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

maybe matt will help you out event hough you didn't buy it here :smt064
Maverick

Diving. . . is an active physical form of meditation. It is so silent- You're like a thought.

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR
ANYTHING, BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE
STAIRS.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I believe all the lights that are shipping now have the correct lenses.

I took my light in the water last night, and man, is it BRIGHT! It's like a miniature 10W HID, extremely focused, and cut through the lousy viz we were diving in last night without any difficulty. It's also a very small light, for those of us who have limited length on the harness for stowing backup lights (or for anybody who likes to keep one in a pocket).

Unfortunately, I also have to report that of the two we got, one has a defective switch and is going back. So all the bugs may not be out of them yet.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Alex
Aquaphile

Post by Alex »

I ordered a Raider III from Matt last night. So I'm excited to get mine and test it out. I'm NOT happy to hear that OxyCheq is still having switch issues. I thought they would have resolved that by now.
mattwave
Amphibian

Post by mattwave »

Patrick has assured me that all Raider R&D issues have been worked out.

Thanks again!
Let's go diving
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

mattwave wrote:Patrick has assured me that all Raider R&D issues have been worked out.

Thanks again!
I'm sure he has ... Lynne got her lights from the same source I did. Those lights were issued nearly two months ago.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Alex
Aquaphile

Post by Alex »

Very cool! I trust Matt not to sell stuff that's in R&D phases. :occasion5:
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Alex wrote:Very cool! I trust Matt not to sell stuff that's in R&D phases. :occasion5:
I trust Matt to support his customers ... period.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Alex
Aquaphile

Post by Alex »

My ownly issue is now I got ants in my pants because I want it!
mancub
Dive-aholic

Post by mancub »

Sorry if this is a lame question, but what are the main differences between the Raider I, II, and IV backup lights and the Raider III primary? OTher than price. I am looking for something of reasonable size where I could use the sweet hand mount...I'll eventually get a salvo with a goodman handle...but thats another story.
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

The one and two use AA batteries and are smaller. The three and four are identical, other than the fact three is rechargeable and the four is not.
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
Alex
Aquaphile

Post by Alex »

1 uses 3W led on aa batteries
2 uses 5W led on 2d batteries
3 uses high driven 5w led on rechargeable batteries
4 identical to 3 but uses the 123 or whatever they're called