Snail ID Help?

Fish & Invertebrate sightings and descriptions, hosted by resident NWDC ID expert Janna Nichols (nwscubamom).
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Snail ID Help?

Post by Tom Nic »

I usually don't post asking for ID help, cause it makes me feel vaguely lazy... as in "hey Nic, look it up yourself!" :violent1:

However, because I'm feeling the way I'm feeling I thought to myself, "Surely somebody will instantly know what this very pretty snail is and they won't mind telling me." Anyway, here it is - a very pretty shell, IMO, almost "tropical" looking. Anybody know what it is?

More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Scott G
Aquaphile

Re: Snail ID Help?

Post by Scott G »

A Nuccella sp. snail i think...

there's a couple of species and the morphology is not really consistent in them i think...

Nice shot.

Scott
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Re: Snail ID Help?

Post by Tom Nic »

Thanks Scott!

I checked in Lamb and it appears to be called a "Wrinkled Dogwinkle", Nusella lamellosa - "Extremely variable shell color, proportions, and sculpturing often confuse the novice naturalist and expert alike."

They are a very pretty shell. I've seen them at 3Tree every now and then.

Dogwinkle - now there's a name that just HAS to have a story behind it, no? ...ah biologists :-) :rr:
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman