I Know Someone Here Can Help

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
defied
I've Got Gills

Re: I Know Someone Here Can Help

Post by defied »

In the software world, if at first you don't succeed, then screw it, try something else.

Bedtime for me too. Good luck!
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

Thanks
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Sounder wrote:Chocolate starfish and the hotdog flavored water?
:smt119 :smt024 :violent1:
I agree with Sounder on this one
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

I would stray away from all the registry cleaners, free virus software and all if that. Much of the time its worthless fluff to make you think you are doing something worthwhile when you are in fact not. With your parameter errors and the slugginess of your PC's I would be willing to bet it may just be time for a re-install of your operation system.
I do this about once every year and a half as I save all my music/pictures/finance Docs in another drive. If you use your computer a lot like me they need a flush from time to time. Installing and uninstalling applications will always leave stuff behind. Registry values, DLL files, and numerous items that end up in the Windows Folder which will slow you down.

Keep in mind that Im not saying that one of those apps mentioned above WONT work, I am just saying that my experience has shown me that they often times do not. A brand new fresh install of Windows (which can be done without deleting pics, docs, and such) will make your PC run all fast again, guaranteed. Sometimes these machines get a little weighted down with crap after a while.

The bad things about reinstall -
Have to reinstall your applications. ( I would make a list of what you have and determine whether you need a CD to reinstall or if it is a .exe on your system somewhere)
Lose all your personal desktop settings (no big deal)
Thats about it...

PC's, media, and streaming technology is what I do for a living btw.

I hope this helps,

Rick
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

Amen to what he just said.

I do a reformat every year or so just to clean out the junk that accumulates and to start over - especially when I start having weirdness like you're experiencing with one program or another. For that reason I keep C:/ pretty clear of data, and use another hard drive for all my data and docs. That makes a reformat pretty painless.

After you were clean, then try installing NAV2009 and see if that works.

- Janna
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

Norris wrote:I would stray away from all the registry cleaners, free virus software and all if that. Much of the time its worthless fluff to make you think you are doing something worthwhile when you are in fact not. With your parameter errors and the slugginess of your PC's I would be willing to bet it may just be time for a re-install of your operation system.
I do this about once every year and a half as I save all my music/pictures/finance Docs in another drive. If you use your computer a lot like me they need a flush from time to time. Installing and uninstalling applications will always leave stuff behind. Registry values, DLL files, and numerous items that end up in the Windows Folder which will slow you down.

Keep in mind that Im not saying that one of those apps mentioned above WONT work, I am just saying that my experience has shown me that they often times do not. A brand new fresh install of Windows (which can be done without deleting pics, docs, and such) will make your PC run all fast again, guaranteed. Sometimes these machines get a little weighted down with crap after a while.

The bad things about reinstall -
Have to reinstall your applications. ( I would make a list of what you have and determine whether you need a CD to reinstall or if it is a .exe on your system somewhere)
Lose all your personal desktop settings (no big deal)
Thats about it...

PC's, media, and streaming technology is what I do for a living btw.

I hope this helps,

Rick
I hate that people still do that, and believe that it is an acceptable practice. The Software companies need to be held responsible for the complete removal of their applications (And not charge you for it).

That is of course, why I primarily run linux now. I got tired of Windows' ridiculous installation necessities. Maybe Windows 7 will allow more cleanliness, and simple installation structures. one can dream. 0]
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Oh don't get me wrong I agree that people should not have to, but reality dictates otherwise. Linux is wonderful, but a little confusing for your average "Joe User" in terms of getting all the "known" applications and having everything compatible. I am a Linux advocate but don't dislike Windows as I have found what I need to do in order to make it work for me. Its nice to see more developers beginning to add Linux to their supported OS lists.

Vista is poop. I tried it and had to "upgrade" back to XP.

Rick
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

Oh I wasn't meaning anything directed towards you as much as it's more of a statement of general accepted behavior. Your statement just got me on the rant. 0]
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

So, Norris, you think the parameter and path errors are actually caused by time and clutter? If so, why doesn't this happen to other things on my machines? No challenge, just need an explanation.

I can make the speed thing go away just by disabling the Norton Application. That adds to my need to have you explain a bit more.

Yeah, I agree the Unix derivatives are pretty cool. Back, in a former life when I knew something, Unix was very popular. But, everyone put their own "improvements" in their versions to the extent that interoperability was harmed. Others curse Microsoft. To me they added some standardization that has greatly aided the computer business. Anyway....

If it wasn't for being able to get speed back by disabling Norton and the only errors happen in association with Norton I'd be ready to ask you for a detailed list of what to do for a complete reinstall. I've recently purchased a 1T external drive so I could move all my data over there.

So???
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

What incompatibilities between linux Variants? I'm not sure I understand. Anything on an ubuntu or Debian box can be compiled on a redhat box/ SUSE/ whatnot from source. It takes a few configuration changes, a kernel with the proper libraries loaded, and a little bit of know how, but it's all fairly compatible still. It's package managers and precompiled binaries that have issues, but that's in the name of user friendliness. But there will always be the source code for the open source.

For a complete reinstall.... shudder.... you'd copy all the files you want to save over, and make sure you have all the installation media for your applications, and then you would wipe the disk, and reinstall.
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

Didn't say Linux. Said Unix. Many variants due to its' variability. Even today the phrase you used "...all fairly compatible" with the qualifications is the rule. Not the same as the level of standardization brought by MS or Apple OSs'.

But, again I digress. The issue at hand is not in that arena. At this point, thanks to you folks, I'm going to use the following plan; keeping in mind I have to be on an airplane Thursday early. I'm going to download a trial of NOD32, turn off Norton and run the NOD. I've got 30 days to buy it from what I saw in the web. If that turns up a virus, Hurrah! Then mabe I'll ask Norton to reimburse me for their product. Or, I'm told that running mulitple virus checkers is wise; just not at the same time so I'll keep both.

If that doesn't work then I'll go the registry cleaner route. I opened a backup copy of the registry and it has several entries that remain from software I no longer have. If I wipe out those and all the Norton/Symantec ones and start that from scratch that may solve the problem.

If that doesn't work then I'll do the "shudder thingy". Given all the stuff I've got on this machine, most of which came from downloads, not discs, a complete wipe and reinstall is far from a trivial task. If I was in the same knowledge ballpark as a couple of you I think I'd go straight to the format reinstall route. But, I don't think I know enough to bail myself out when I screw up, or something in the system burps. And it is a certainty that one or the other, or both will happen.

QQQ: Any recommendations on a reliable registry cleaner? From what I've read in this cram course there is a real risk, especially when used by someone like me who used to know something, a long time ago.
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Reformat sounds pretty extreme, but I can see where that would help with alot of Junk like all of the Trojans I have quarintined and cant get rid of.
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Ok lets make sure that we are on the same page. There is a reinstall of Windows (which doesnt require a re-format) and a reformat. I may have missed the point where you said that everything bogs down "only" when running the anti-virus.

That application, as well as many, are created, bug tested, and QA'd using machines in a controlled environment, Many of which don't have all the garbage that an average user will accumulate through a year or two of use. Just like Bassman mentioned malware, spyware, and trojans exist. They are written with the intention of tricking Anti Virus into thinking that are not bad. Many of them are actually running processes which Windows won't allow you to delete until they are not running. Then they are named something weird in the services which make it difficult for you to stop them in order to delete. I could talk about this forever but the bottom line is that "something" is not playing nicely with your anti virus and through years of experience there are times when I can go in and fix something and other times when the crap is so embedded that I just reinstall the OS.
So rather than downloading this, deleting that, reinstalling this, talking on the phone for hours at a time while someone tries to read you tech support KB's, and becoming frustrated; the math usually works out that reinstalling the OS is faster and more effective once all is said and done.
So worst case scenerio is reinstall the OS. Most effective and usually attractive would be the re-format, but as stated that is the most aggressive approach. If you need any help with this please hit me up.
Lets just hope that another antivirus will work better. If not, shoot just clean her up.

Rick
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

Thanks for clearing the format thing up. An earlier poster had used that word. So, I, indeed was thinking format; a real format, not just a delete and reinstall of the OS and other applications.
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Re: I Know Someone Here Can Help >Latest<

Post by ArcticDiver »

Just finished the Online ESET NOD32 scan. Took two hours while I was packing to leave. Resuts? Nothing found. That lays to rest any suspicions that the problem is caused by some kind of virus. My computer has scanned clean with Norton, NOD32, and Windows Defender.

That means the problem is squarely on Norton its' install and lack of follow-on tech support.

Norton/Symantec has suggested the problem is with computer optimization, etc. I'd already done all the things they recommended. They also have taken the tack that if the desktop icons don't work just launch from the listing in the Programs menu, or from the file folder itself. I've tried all that already with the same result, nada.

I did discover that there is a weird file folder arrangement. As you recall the errors are "parameter wrong" errors. The ones that call out a specific file refer to 16.1.0.33. In trying to launch from the folder I discovered three(3) file folders with that name. All of them are inside anotherr folder. I've reported that to Symantec.

At this point it looks like there is no virus. That the problem is with the Symantec install. They are sending me a new disc. Instead of an original install disck like I bought; this one is an upgrade install. Theoretically this one will clean everything out before a clean, new install. We'll see.

You've been good, I'll keep you posted.
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Re: I Know Someone Here Can Help LATEST

Post by ArcticDiver »

Well here is the status as of a few minutes ago.
>Norton/Symantec sent me a new installation CD at my travel location. It would not launch automatically. It would not launch manually. Automatically the computer just did nothing. Manually, when I double clicked on the CD drive the computer gave the error: "D:\ The paramter is incorrect".

So, I've uninstalled Norton/Symantec and am using the Windows Firewall and no Anti-Virus. Everything works just fine. In fact all errors and speed problems just vanished.

So:

How about some recommendations for a good, fast antivirus and firewall? Norton and AVG are unacceptable products for reasons previously reported.

Then I need to got through these machines and clean them to be sure remanants of Norton and AVG, plus some other applications aren't lurking somewhere. I've received offers to help. But if there is some reliable software out there that will work that would be best.
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

Is your computer plugged directly in to your cable modem?

If it's not, and it's plugged in to a router, that is your firewall. you don't need Windows Firewall to be turned on.

ClamAV is a light weight Virus scanner, but I've seen it get stupid release to release (One of the problems of Open Source, as I love it so much, is that some of it may not be reliable). I've heard it's doing well now. It is nice to have all the options of the licensed versions, with the same Virus Databases and an easier interface for free though.

It's also got a low memory footprint. If you have issues loading that, then there is somethign way wrong with your system. 0]

D(B)
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

Hmmm, thanks; I'd forgotten about the router firewall.

At one time I'd go the open source, free product. It was sort of satisfying to sort the problems. Not now though. I'm far enough away from it that I'd have to learn a lot. Plus, I'd rather spend the time cycling and diving; not playing with what is supposed to be a productive tool.

Oh yes, no loading or memory problems. I just think that Norton doesn't play well with my machines. No problems pre-Norton and no problems now.
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

Fiddle with it?

Rofl! You have been away from Open Source for a while. It's a lot better.

http://www.clamwin.com/

Just try it out. Tell me what you think. It's easy enough to remove. Tell you what. If it gives you issues, and your local to Tacoma, get a six pack, and we'll meet up, and dig around your system to see what's going on.

D(B)
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

Home is in Alaska. At this moment I'm sitting at a table just South of Denver getting ready to hit the sack for another busy day tomorrow.

I'll take a look at the open source.

Also, what do you think of ESET's NOD32?

With that my eyes are closing whether I want them to or not.

Bye for now
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

Apologies to Norris. I think I solved most of my problems merely, get that merely uninstalling Norton. Come to find out Norton does not play well with many applications. Of course they never tell you that. Also, something that really peeves me is that when their tech reps were in my machines using Remote Link they could see my applications. They could see that my machines use PGP. Norton and PGP don't play together very well at all.

I've taken Defied's advise and contacted ClamWin to see if there are any conflicts with any of the applications on my machines.

If there are none, and I didn't see any in the forums or FAQs then that is what I'll install. It is a good looking application. From my perspective the only downsides are that it doesn't real time scan and that it comes from the main frame world where everyone enjoys, or at least makes a living, out of complexity.

That leaves me having to maybe find a firewall. Right now I'm using Windows. I need one for when I travel and have to use public networks and WiFi. Any suggestions?

Norris and Defied next time I'm in the Puget Sound area I need to meet you and maybe even share a meal. My diving plans this year were put in the toilet due to an injury. But I'm off on the 3rd for a week in the Keys and my plans for 2009 are to do what I'd planned for 2008, including my trips to your area.
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

Glad you have a plan of action! I don't think you told me about pgp before. 0] I hope Clamwin has an answer for you. As far as NOD32, I've never heard of it.

Yeah, give me a shout out when you're in the Puget sound area next, and no worries on the dives. I'm still rebuilding all of my gear, so I'm a while out (Hoping Spring/summer).

So.. firewall... Well, to be honest, with windows, you can use the windows firewall. That will keep you protected enough.

If you need serious internet security because people are maliciously looking for your laptop whenever you hop online, you can look at http://sourceforge.net/projects/firewallpapi/ and a couple others, allthough if I have windows on a laptop, and I'm connecting from a hotel, I would run a Unix firewall in a vm image, and I'm sure that's a little too much. There really is no simple firewall, so if you only don't like windows Firewall because it keeps popping up those permisison questions, it may be worth getting used to for travel purposes.

D(B)
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

I concur on the firewall part. Windows firewall works fine. Just let me know when you are here and a meal/dive whatever, that would be great!

I hope all is well.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

Thanks folks. ESET NOD32, look it up, was recommended earlier in this thread. It provides real time protection that ClamWin does not. Both say they play well with others. Also, everything I read about both is complimentary. My other users use laptops like toasters, that is, appliances and may forget to do periodic scans. To cover all bases and because having two antiviruses is good I may install both. I'm going to stick with Windows Firewall.

Oh yes, PGP, doesn't every thinking person who uses email or portable computers use it, or similar?

Now to learn about the Real Computer, my new Zeagle N2iTion. I've got a dive trip coming up!

I knew someone could help. I was right. \:D/