they're baaaaack ...

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

they're baaaaack ...

Post by Grateful Diver »

The Cove 2 harbor seals, that is ... back for another winter of pestering divers.

I joined up with Sheri, Scott, Penelope, Kate, Joe, and Casey for an evening dive, and a pair of 'em were circling us while we were putting our fins on. They pretty much stayed with us for the entire dive ... buzzing by, puttin' on their usual antics, and stirring up a lot of silt.

Joe got some video, I think ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Re: they're baaaaack ...

Post by Joshua Smith »

I was so thrilled, the first time I got buzzed by a seal at cove 2. Headed down the line to the I beams, and WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT???!!! went past me at mach 3......

The thrill wears off pretty quickly....
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

When exactly does that thrill wear off? I've told total strangers today that I dove with seals last night... \:D/
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Well, it wore off for me on one of those rare evenings when I dropped down into what looked like crystal-clear water ... until the seals showed up ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Grateful Diver wrote:Well, it wore off for me on one of those rare evenings when I dropped down into what looked like crystal-clear water ... until the seals showed up ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Darn seals... :axe: Hey, maybe someone could teach them to frog kick! :smt064
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Raydar
Dive-aholic

Post by Raydar »

Came across one last week at the Muk oil docks.

A Cuda can chase one of them down. :evil4:
Purveyor of crack ;)
Fishstiq
Amphibian

Post by Fishstiq »

Grateful Diver wrote:The Cove 2 harbor seals, that is ... back for another winter of pestering divers.

I joined up with Sheri, Scott, Penelope, Kate, Joe, and Casey for an evening dive, and a pair of 'em were circling us while we were putting our fins on. They pretty much stayed with us for the entire dive ... buzzing by, puttin' on their usual antics, and stirring up a lot of silt.

Joe got some video, I think ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Apologies, but it's not the greatest video. I haven't taken the time to edit it or anything yet. Also, the seal gets a little close towards the end, so it's a little shakey. Sorry about that.

http://www.vimeo.com/2349169

Oh, and the thrill hasn't worn off me yet. :supz:
Not just front page famous, but above the fold famous...

Waiting for your AIDS test results is no time to be thinking positive.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

scottsax wrote:When exactly does that thrill wear off? I've told total strangers today that I dove with seals last night... \:D/
Like Bob said. At first, it's thrilling. But after you've spent a few evenings trying to escape from the mobile silt-cloud....

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Joshua Smith wrote: But after you've spent a few evenings trying to escape from the mobile silt-cloud....
That's easy, just don't dive cove 2. I've never seen one. :dontknow: After watching Joe's video, I may have to break my "no cove 2" rule.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Nwbrewer wrote:
Joshua Smith wrote: But after you've spent a few evenings trying to escape from the mobile silt-cloud....
That's easy, just don't dive cove 2. I've never seen one. :dontknow: After watching Joe's video, I may have to break my "no cove 2" rule.
I got buzzed by one at Redondo last week ... and have been bothered by them at TTN, Les Davis, and Titlow in the past. They seem to like the spots we dive during the winter months.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Point taken. And, to be fair, I barely ever hit cove 2 any more. I'm more focused on charters to wreck sites, and scootering to different stuff, now that I have that option. But when I just need to get in the water, and I want to cut an hour or so of driving out of the equation, cove duece is the default winner. And last year, I saw six gills there 3 times, which was completely awesome.

Nwbrewer wrote:

Kalatin
Dive-aholic

Post by Kalatin »

Sockmonkey, CaseyB and I did another dive tonight at Cove 2 just to extend the diving with seals high. The mobile silt clouds did not disappoint - the seals were funny, a little scary, and amazing to dive with. Yet another reason that I am captivated by diving the Puget Sound.
"Another marathon, rush hour trek to foolishly compress myself and risk bodily harm and/or death to look at fishies!!! I love it!" - Casey B.
"The circle of life is a bitch when you're hungry." - Sockmonkey
Fishstiq
Amphibian

Post by Fishstiq »

Kalatin wrote:Sockmonkey, CaseyB and I did another dive tonight at Cove 2 just to extend the diving with seals high. The mobile silt clouds did not disappoint - the seals were funny, a little scary, and amazing to dive with. Yet another reason that I am captivated by diving the Puget Sound.

What, no invite...? :smt064

Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Post by Sockmonkey »

Fishstiq wrote: What, no invite...? :smt064
I got your invite right here:
http://www.nwdiveclub.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6215

During a relaxing dive at the Deuce... I just don't see how watching seals chase fish could ever get old... silt or no silt. Pretty freaking incredible.

-Eric
"I used to do this for fun, but now, I do it for nothing" -Not Joshua Smith

:eric: Hawaiian Seamonkey Blog
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Post by Sockmonkey »

Fishstiq wrote: Apologies, but it's not the greatest video. I haven't taken the time to edit it or anything yet. Also, the seal gets a little close towards the end, so it's a little shakey. Sorry about that.

http://www.vimeo.com/2349169
No need to apologize. Thanks for filming something I can show my wife. It helps prove a) it does happen b) there was a good reason I was a babbling brook of dorkdom last night when I got home.
"I used to do this for fun, but now, I do it for nothing" -Not Joshua Smith

:eric: Hawaiian Seamonkey Blog
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Sockmonkey wrote: there was a good reason I was a babbling brook of dorkdom last night when I got home.
Awesome. Just awesome... :supz:
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Sheri
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Sheri »

The excitement still hasn't worn off of me yet, either! I keep telling people things like, "You know what its like being pressed up against the glass, watching seals frolicking in front of you at the aquarium? Ever wanted to swim with them?? Well, I did!!..."

Maybe someday I'll be familiar enough with the feeling and think its no big deal anymore.

But I hope not...
:fish:
"Dude... When your IQ gets to 50, SELL!" - Grateful Diver
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Give it a month ... it'll wear off.

Now, mind you, there was a time when I was incredibly excited by the prospect. I wrote about it once ... http://nwgratefuldiver.com/reports.html (click the link that says "Dances with Seals").

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Yep. I have several video clips of seals saved in my hard drive- I was soooo excited at first. It's still cool to see them swoop in and gobble fish, but they're ruined more than a few dives for me....

gcbryan
Submariner

Post by gcbryan »

They're a lot more fun to have around at some place like Whytecliff Park where the bottom is several hundred feet below you!
Fishstiq
Amphibian

Post by Fishstiq »

Uhh, Josh...? Less cowbell.

Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Fishstiq wrote:Uhh, Josh...? Less cowbell.

NEVER.

TOUJOURS PLUS COWBELL; VIVA EL COWBELL, and: "I got a fever!!!! And the only prescription is MORE COWBELL!!!!!!"

Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Spent about 20 minutes with a harbor seal at Orchard Rocks today ... they're a lot more fun in places where they don't silt the place up. Managed to get a couple decent video clips ... I'll post 'em once I've had a chance to download (just got back in) ....

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Video clips from Sunday's dive at Orchard Rocks ... enjoy ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

i haven't been in the water with a seal yet, but i hope i never get tired of seeing that. thanks for posting those, bob.
Last edited by spatman on Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.