My First Rescue

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
Fishstiq
Amphibian

My First Rescue

Post by Fishstiq »

I'd like you all to meet my first rescue.

I found him in a dumpster today. After reviewing some security cameras I found out that 2 people abandoned him in a cardboard produce box in the dumpster late last night. I call him Oscar, since I found him in a trash can. After a bath and a good scrub with some flea shampoo, he seems to be generally healthy and okay. He plays fine with my g/f, and was good around the ladies at my office, but he is very skittish around men. If I reach to pick him up, he tucks his tail and cringes away quickly. When I bathed him, he wouldn't move at all, like a statue. He wouldn't even shake the water off like a normal dog until I was a few feet away and my g/f was closer to him than I was. If I had to guess, I'd say he was probably mistreated by a male (I won't refer to anyone who would do that as a man). Tomorrow after work, I'm taking Oscar to the vet for a wellness check and to see if he has a microchip.
Not just front page famous, but above the fold famous...

Waiting for your AIDS test results is no time to be thinking positive.
Burntchef
I've Got Gills

Re: My First Rescue

Post by Burntchef »

nice dude, our dog was a rescue as well the lowlife scum moved and left her behind so my g/f took her. she was about a year old but thankfully not beaten. congrats to you for not just bringing him to a pound, now only if pez was such a nice guy :smt064
Attachments
mekadog.jpg
Chin high, puffed chest, we step right to it
The choice is there ain't no choice but to pursue it

"Diving the gas is the easy part, not much to it, plenty of retards are using it safely. " jamieZ
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Dude! What a great looking pup! My wife almost cried when she read your post! Congratulations on what looks to be a great new best friend. My wife and I have a saying about our dog: before we got her, we were just a couple. Now, we're a pack. Being in a pack is way, way, better than *not* being in a pack.

I highly recommend taking some training classes, as soon as you can set them up. Start with "puppy school" to get him socialized, and learn the basics. We did that, and one other obedience class with ours, so that we could learn the ropes- it's more about training *you* than the dog......
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Burntchef
I've Got Gills

Post by Burntchef »

i second what josh said about classes, meka was never socialized and she does have some issues around other dogs and only until very recently ( age 12) has she strated to tolerate some dogs.
Chin high, puffed chest, we step right to it
The choice is there ain't no choice but to pursue it

"Diving the gas is the easy part, not much to it, plenty of retards are using it safely. " jamieZ
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

dude, that's awesome! glad the lil guy found a good home. take good care of him and he'll take good care of you, too.

our dog is a rescue also, but we didn't find him. some friends and i blatantly stole him. he was chained up outside a warehouse with no food or water. after seeing the poor guy get thinner and more desperate over the course of a couple months, we had enough and liberated him one night. eight years later, he's still a lovable lump always on the couch.
06-11-17.jpg
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

What an incredible story! I love rescues! Oscar is a great name for a trash can dog. :) He's got a sweet face,though, I doubt he'll be a grouch.

How does he get along with Lilo?
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

I am that nice. Except I'm nice by NOT being a dog owner. It's not the dog I have a problem with. It's picking up the poop. I do not pick up poop. And don't let Joe fool ya, just last week he was saying if the economy really got tight, and he needed a meal, he could always eat Lilo. I think she'd feed at least two for a day. Now he's got enough food to last for a week!
Diver_C
Amphibian

Post by Diver_C »

"Thanks for finding, saving, cleaning, and loving me!" - Oscar
Kalatin
Dive-aholic

Post by Kalatin »

Congratulations on Oscar. He is adorable. The face, the ears, the big eyes - what a cutie!
My boy Skipper was almost a rescue. His owners were preparing to drop him off at the pound because they were moving to Europe, so he moved onto our couch instead. He is a quasi-rescue dog, but he is the one who rescued me. He has rolled in buffalo sh*t at Yellowstone, hidden shoes, broken out of the house on several occasions, shed on every item of clothing I owned and made every day a joy. I hope that Oscar makes your life as happy. Plus I can't wait to see Oscar and Lilo together - talk about the odd couple. Oh - I third the dog training. We got Skip when he was about four and training and socializing him is an ongoing challenge.
Attachments
Mexico and Vancouver 084.jpg
"Another marathon, rush hour trek to foolishly compress myself and risk bodily harm and/or death to look at fishies!!! I love it!" - Casey B.
"The circle of life is a bitch when you're hungry." - Sockmonkey
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

Joe,
We got a dog from the pound that had apparently been abused by a male human (I'm with you on the word "man"); she was only 6 weeks old and was terrified of me. She loved our 3-year-old daughter Naomi, however, and followed her everywhere. Hence, we named her Naomi's Shadow, Shadow for short. It took several months of coaxing, careful petting, watching my tone of voice and all the rest, but ultimately, she became my dog. Went everywhere with me, did everything with me, and loved to play ball. She was my dog for 13 terrific years. When the End came, taking her to the vet for the last time was just about the hardest thing I've ever done. Oscar may be fearful of you right now, but with plenty of love and patience he'll come around, and he'll be one of the best things that ever happened to you. Take it from one who knows :supz:

Nice going!
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Pez7378 wrote:I am that nice. Except I'm nice by NOT being a dog owner. It's not the dog I have a problem with. It's picking up the poop. I do not pick up poop. And don't let Joe fool ya, just last week he was saying if the economy really got tight, and he needed a meal, he could always eat Lilo. I think she'd feed at least two for a day. Now he's got enough food to last for a week!
Lilo is barely a snack. Good to know you found an alternate source of food Joe.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Congrats on the beautiful dog!!!
What a lucky dog to have crossed your path!
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Romer Treece
Pelagic

Post by Romer Treece »

You da man!! :supz:
nwbobber
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by nwbobber »

Way to go, Joe.

A man was walking along the road to Heaven with his dog, when he came upon a winding driveway leading up to the Pearly Gates. He walked up to the gates and was dismayed to see a sign which said "NO DOGS ALLOWED". The man at the gate told him he could come in, but he would have to leave the dog outside the gate. Saddened, he turned back, and walked aways further up the road, when he came to a second set of Pearly Gates. Walking up to the gates, Saint Peter called out "welcome, welcome, mind if I give your dog a pat". "Sure, he'd love it. Whats with the other place back there? Is there two heavens? One with dogs and one without?" "No, no." he said "We just put that up to weed out the folks who would leave their dogs behind."

Sorry Pez
If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading - Lao Tzu
Fishstiq
Amphibian

Post by Fishstiq »

Just an update, things have changed a bit...

A guy I work with talked to me today, and was saying he has 2 dogs and 3 cats (and 2 great kids, I've met all of them) and a house with a good size yard, and that if need be he would love to take Oscar in if it didn't work out with me for whatever reason. I thought about it all day at work, and in the end I decided that it would be better for Oscar to have some room to roam and lots of loving people and animals around him during the day than to be stuck in an appt. all day while I'm at work. So my girlfriend and I just got back from dropping him off with his new pack, and he sems to fit in perfectly with them. He looked a little confused when we got up to leave without him, but he will settle in there quickly and I think he will be much happier and better off than he would be with the situation I can currently provide.

Thank you all for your good wishes and kind words. I still have Lilo, and Rajah (G/F's cat), and I'm sure this won't be the last animal we take in.

Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Fishstiq wrote: I still have Lilo, and Rajah (G/F's cat), and I'm sure this won't be the last animal we take in.
No doubt with Pez's new girl, he'll be in the doghouse soon enough and will need a place to sleep for the night... keep Oscar's doggie bed around so Pez can crash on it when he needs to.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Fishstiq
Amphibian

Post by Fishstiq »

Sounder wrote:
Fishstiq wrote: I still have Lilo, and Rajah (G/F's cat), and I'm sure this won't be the last animal we take in.
No doubt with Pez's new girl, he'll be in the doghouse soon enough and will need a place to sleep for the night... keep Oscar's doggie bed around so Pez can crash on it when he needs to.
Pez ain't crashing here!!! Like Pez said, "I don't pick up poop." :evil4:
:smt064

lurch
Compulsive Diver

Post by lurch »

Fishstiq wrote:
Sounder wrote:
You're complaining about him not being potty-trained Mr. My-condom-cath-came-unhooked-during-the-dive-and-I-wet-myself? [-X
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

At least he didn't throw it at you or chase you around with it... :axe:
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

laivindil wrote:
Fishstiq wrote:
Sounder wrote:
You're complaining about him not being potty-trained Mr. My-condom-cath-came-unhooked-during-the-dive-and-I-wet-myself? [-X
Word! :rr:
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

laivindil wrote:
Fishstiq wrote:
Sounder wrote:
I thought we weren't gonna talk about that? Oh well, it's not like IF that actually happened, Pez would laugh or anything...
IMG_0709.JPG
lurch
Compulsive Diver

Post by lurch »

Nwbrewer wrote:I thought we weren't gonna talk about that? Oh well, it's not like IF that actually happened, Pez would laugh or anything...
I don't remember agreeing to anything. :la:

But if we did and I forgot; that's my bad. #-o

I'm sure other people have had it happen to them Joe. Right everyone?

[crickets]

:dontknow:
Scuba Scott
Aquaphile

Post by Scuba Scott »

Our son Rescued our dog Denali. We have become foster parents until he gets a home where he can have a dog. It will be an interesting day when that time comes and my wife will have to say goodby to our son and keep the dog. Our little Chewi still runs the house.
denali 3.jpg
Life can be short and dives even shorter. Time off work will put it all in perspective.

http://www.waterproofdecks.blogspot.com
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

Nice to see that you're still alive, Scott!
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY