Winter Blues

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Re: Winter Blues

Post by Norris »

smike wrote: I'm not a doctor.

Mike
But I play one on NWDC..

he he

Sounds like some good advice, Im going to do some reading on Vitamin D today.
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Joshua Smith wrote: Travel is out of the question for a little while, except maybe Eastern Washington, as Lynne suggested. (But I hear there ain't a whole lotta diving over there)
Well, people keep telling me that there are some "cool wrecks" (granted, a matter of personal perception!) in Lake Coeur d'Alene. Sounds like some research is in order, because my son and his wife just bought a 4 bedroom house 15 - 20 minutes away from the lake.....

Perhaps we need a ROAD TRIP! \:D/

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

John Rawlings wrote:
Joshua Smith wrote: Travel is out of the question for a little while, except maybe Eastern Washington, as Lynne suggested. (But I hear there ain't a whole lotta diving over there)
Well, people keep telling me that there are some "cool wrecks" (granted, a matter of personal perception!) in Lake Coeur d'Alene. Sounds like some research is in order, because my son and his wife just bought a 4 bedroom house 15 - 20 minutes away from the lake.....

- John
It is great diving but the vis can be good some days, but most of the time fair to bad. Winter it is cold as hell. and yes their are a few things in it. a few yachts, an old ferry, some old barges, and an airplane I have dove their. I have been told their is more but have not found it and the locals do not talk to much. It is very much like lake Washington in that sense.
Greg
Life is Short do as Much as Possible in as Short of Period of Time as Possible.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Here it comes...

King 5 early forcast for next weekend:
On Friday we should see a major shift in the weather pattern with the coldest air of the season moving in later in the day. A front will spread rain into western Washington in the morning but much colder air will pour into the area out of British Columbia in the afternoon changing the rain showers to snow showers later in the afternoon or evening. However it is too early to determine how much snow might accumulate.

Over the weekend and the first part of next week arctic air will continue to move into western Washington for sunny but cold weather with daytime highs in the 30s and overnight lows in the teens and 20s. Around mid week, a warmer storm should approach us, however, the precipitation could start as snow.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

The sun was out at approximately one O'clock this afternoon. I put on my Sunglasses and then it became so dark, I had to take them off. I was so happy to have to use my shades, even if it was only for a few minutes! :rr:

Well, we have a Visibility thead, I guess we might as well start a sun sightings thread too!
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Pez7378 wrote:The sun was out at approximately one O'clock this afternoon. I put on my Sunglasses and then it became so dark, I had to take them off. I was so happy to have to use my shades, even if it was only for a few minutes! :rr:

Well, we have a Visibility thead, I guess we might as well start a sun sightings thread too!
we've actually had a surprising amount of sun this fall down here in portland. :bootyshake:
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Sounder wrote:Here it comes...

King 5 early forcast for next weekend:
On Friday we should see a major shift in the weather pattern with the coldest air of the season moving in later in the day. A front will spread rain into western Washington in the morning but much colder air will pour into the area out of British Columbia in the afternoon changing the rain showers to snow showers later in the afternoon or evening. However it is too early to determine how much snow might accumulate.

Over the weekend and the first part of next week arctic air will continue to move into western Washington for sunny but cold weather with daytime highs in the 30s and overnight lows in the teens and 20s. Around mid week, a warmer storm should approach us, however, the precipitation could start as snow.
YIKES!

Sounds like I'd better go get that replacement pop-up canopy I've been meaning to buy before the week-end's class ... oh, and a snow shovel ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Dmitchell
Perma Narc'd

Post by Dmitchell »

Sounds like our storm coming your way after it pounds us!
Dave Mitchell
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Dmitchell wrote:Sounds like our storm coming your way after it pounds us!
"Artic air" is never a good thing to hear.
Dmitchell
Perma Narc'd

Post by Dmitchell »

You mean like this:

A STRONG FRONT WILL BRING AMPLE MOISTURE IN FROM THE GULF OF
ALASKA WHILE AN ARCTIC FRONT WILL BRING IN COLD AIR FROM THE
YUKON. THE COMBINATION OF THESE ELEMENTS IS EXPECTED TO PRODUCE
12 TO 20 INCHES OF SNOW NORTH OF TAKU INLET AND ACROSS GLACIER
BAY FROM MONDAY NIGHT THROUGH TUESDAY.
Dave Mitchell
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Dmitchell wrote:You mean like this:

A STRONG FRONT WILL BRING AMPLE MOISTURE IN FROM THE GULF OF
ALASKA WHILE AN ARCTIC FRONT WILL BRING IN COLD AIR FROM THE
YUKON. THE COMBINATION OF THESE ELEMENTS IS EXPECTED TO PRODUCE
12 TO 20 INCHES OF SNOW NORTH OF TAKU INLET AND ACROSS GLACIER
BAY FROM MONDAY NIGHT THROUGH TUESDAY.
Yes. A weather report like that would suck... which is why I don't live in Alaska. :pale:
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

I dunno. The absence of the Sun is kinda depressing, but on the other hand, once it snows, people generally perk up a little and there is an air of excitement. Last year (or was it the year before?), when there was a TON of snow on the ground, Joe and I went over to Keystone and had a great day!
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Post by Sockmonkey »

My wife would get the blues when we lived in Boston during January and February (there isn't much more winter daylight in Assachusetts than there is here). We were both apprehensive about moving to the pacnorwest being scared she would go bonkers.

So... based on criteria from the Center for Environmental Therapeutics we invested in a lightbox for her so she can soak up some "sunlight" for 20 mins every morning. It's pretty spiffy. It has a stand and sets up on the table where she eats breakfast. She started using it for a while but stopped because there's been so much natural light so far this fall. We have no long term data to tell if it has any effect on her mood. The instructions warned that it might have an adverse effect on some people, so hopefully it doesn't make her totally manic.

Many people we spoke with before making the plunge to move west talked about ensuring you have a project or an activity planned for the whole winter. Take a class they said. Join a community association (of which there are way too many around here... I bet you could find a community group dedicated to creating community groups). Take up a hobby we were told. I've got diving... she's also finding things to do too while I'm under water....

What does your non diving significant other do to keep busy and stave off winter's giant sad face?

-Eric
"I used to do this for fun, but now, I do it for nothing" -Not Joshua Smith

:eric: Hawaiian Seamonkey Blog
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Sockmonkey wrote:
What does your non diving significant other do to keep busy and stave off winter's giant sad face?

-Eric
She's a scrap book gal!
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Sockmonkey wrote:What does your non diving significant other do to keep busy and stave off winter's giant sad face
she makes art and is developing a side business.
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

The long dark winters here in the PNW have long been pointed to as the source of the vibrant arts scene we have here. Seriously, do you think a band like Nirvana could've come from anywhere but here? Pearl Jam? Alice in Chains? People around the country latched onto the "grunge" scene (and style of dress-guys in LA wearing flannel shirts and longjohns just cracked me up) but could never make music that equalled what originated from the NW.

It's too damn cold and wet to go outside, and all this darkness is depressing me-let's start a band!
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Post by Sockmonkey »

spatman wrote:
Sockmonkey wrote:What does your non diving significant other do to keep busy and stave off winter's giant sad face
she makes art and is developing a side business.
Of course she makes art... you could have just said she lives in portland.

Is her side biz based on her art?

-Eric
"I used to do this for fun, but now, I do it for nothing" -Not Joshua Smith

:eric: Hawaiian Seamonkey Blog
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Sockmonkey wrote:Is her side biz based on her art?
not so much based on her personal art, but being an artist is what makes her business possible. does that make sense?
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Well, well, well.... this thread certainly explains some of the "poopy & morose" (that's a technical term) postings that we've been seeing around here as of late.

The viz is really turning nice right now, and if we get some of the sunny & cold weather that Doug was talking about hopefully it will get better.

One consolotion is that it has not rained as much this year. We're about 5 inches or so less than last year.

Hmmm, now just HOW can fineagle (another technical term) a trip to Bonaire?
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

Tom Nic wrote:Hmmm, now just HOW can fineagle (another technical term) a trip to Bonaire?
You can join Sheri and I January 9th? :bootyshake:
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

I have had many bouts with depression in the winter to the point where i stopped careing about myself...work ...and even leaving my house for days... i got to the point where i stopped caring and lost alot of my pool clients and couldnt pay my bills... I am not one to take anti depresants and med myself but something had to be done cause i even got to the piont where i wanted to die.... this was 2 years ago.. I also hate the dark days of winter but the one thing that saved me was Saint Johns Wort.. !!! Holy S##T.. I take 1 pill 3x a week mon wed fri.. stuff takes about a month to kick in.. but dang what a difference... the stuff that used to really bother me and ruin my day... It doesnt now just slides right off me, i am Happy and positive, i love life now and its good again.. so give that a shot
IMG_3258.JPG
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
Aquanautchuck
Pelagic

Post by Aquanautchuck »

I also have had SAD for many years. It just creeped up on me. Since I am born and raised in Oregon I did not know any better and it never bothered me. Then I took up scuba diving and did my first warm water trip and realized there was more than clouds and rain somewhere else. I bought one of the OHSU (Oregon Health Science University) light box 9 years ago and it makes a huge difference. I also leave several lights on in the house in the winter.

Since most people like to hibernate like me I decided I needed a indoor hobby. I took up furniture making again after several decades off and am loving it. I will post my first DIY project when it is done.
Charles
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

loanwolf wrote:
John Rawlings wrote:

- John
It is great diving but the vis can be good some days, but most of the time fair to bad. Winter it is cold as hell. and yes their are a few things in it. a few yachts, an old ferry, some old barges, and an airplane I have dove their. I have been told their is more but have not found it and the locals do not talk to much. It is very much like lake Washington in that sense.
Is it Deep? :dontknow:
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

H20doctor wrote: stuff takes about a month to kick in.. but dang what a difference... the stuff that used to really bother me and ruin my day... It doesnt now just slides right off me, i am Happy and positive, i love life now and its good again.. so give that a shot.
I thought it was the crack that caused that? :smt064

We need to see your light setup. I assume what Pez saw yesterday at 1:00 was not the sun, but in fact the new beam of death? Light therapy for most of the PNW will from now on be provided daily by the Doc's divelight.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

BASSMAN wrote: Is it Deep? :dontknow:
Uhhh.... goes all the way to the bottom is my guess. :smt064 Actually I think there are wrecks at both recreational and technical depths.
scottsax wrote:
Tom Nic wrote:Hmmm, now just HOW can fineagle (another technical term) a trip to Bonaire?
You can join Sheri and I January 9th? :bootyshake:
And as for you - :violent1: :axe: :violent3:

You payin'? :smt051
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman