DIY BC fix? NHZ

This forum is provided for the further edification of our club members seeking to improve their knowledge and diving skills. (recreational diving only)
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

DIY BC fix? NHZ

Post by Norris »

I received an extra BC with a purchase I made to get a couple tanks. It was thrown in. After looking at it, its a pretty nice BC and I would love to give it to a friend of mine as a gift. The ONLY problem was that when I hooked it up there was a small leak of air from the hose button for filling the vest. This one has the two notches (not sure if they all do) that you use a special tool, (dont know the name) to unscrew.
Well I did unscrew it and it looks like there is a little corrosion inside but other than that it looks healthy. Even the small O ring is intact and good.

Here is my question, what should I use to clean the valve, and then should anything be applied before putting it back in? WD40 etc?
Although the o ring looks great, is there a place to order just O-rings? Is there a special way to measure them? As long as I am in there I may was well replace it.
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
defied
I've Got Gills

Re: DIY BC fix? NHZ

Post by defied »

You should be able to get matching O-rings from Mclendons. I guess it depends on what type you need, but they have them all.
I would recommend a silicon grease for anything that is even close to where your mouth may possibly go. Also, although I'm sure your friend won't be diving all that deep, keeping petroleum products out of your gear is wise in my opinion.

I guess I would look for a fitting O-ring at Mclendons, and use food grade silicon grease on the parts after cleaning out the corrosion with simple green, and fresh water.
camerone
Submariner

Post by camerone »

Norris wrote:I received an extra BC with a purchase I made to get a couple tanks. It was thrown in. After looking at it, its a pretty nice BC and I would love to give it to a friend of mine as a gift. The ONLY problem was that when I hooked it up there was a small leak of air from the hose button for filling the vest. This one has the two notches (not sure if they all do) that you use a special tool, (dont know the name) to unscrew.
Well I did unscrew it and it looks like there is a little corrosion inside but other than that it looks healthy. Even the small O ring is intact and good.

Here is my question, what should I use to clean the valve, and then should anything be applied before putting it back in? WD40 etc?
Although the o ring looks great, is there a place to order just O-rings? Is there a special way to measure them? As long as I am in there I may was well replace it.
There is a tool for BC inflator service. It's not a necessity, but it works REALLY well and is a lot faster. It's also dirt cheap: https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?product=1302 I keep one in my save-a-dive kit, as I find that inflator buttons leak an awful lot. BTW - the DSS website where the tool is has a great video of how to take a standard power inflator apart and put it back together again, if you've never done it before. They're very simple devices, but the video is a nice touch.

For corrosion, the best thing to do is put the metal parts in a small ultrasonic cleaner - the kind you use for jewelry, rings, silverware, etc. 50/50 hot water and white vinegar and a few minutes will take it right off. Rinse well in fresh water afterwards. If you don't have the ultrasonic cleaner, buy one and justify it to your significant other by telling her it's for cleaning her jewelry... or just use an old toothbrush to scrub in the vinegar/water bath. Doesn't work quite as well, but it'll get you close enough.

O-rings are measured by diameter and thickness, as well as hardness and material. They actually make a cone-shaped tool which you slip the o-ring over to measure it. However, power inflators (other than funky air2-type things) have a standard set of o-ring sizes. I think the one you're referring to, if I understand what you're saying correctly is size 006, and is best replaced with Viton, 75 durometer, so it's a V75-006. There are other sizes, but without a picture to see what part you're replacing, that's my guess. You don't have to use Viton; I just happen to use them for everything.

Somewhere around here, I kept myself a cheat sheet of all the o-rings in the inflators I have, so I could put a "rebuild kit" together from generics when I needed it.

Harbor Freight sells an o-ring kit of viton rings VERY cheap. There's one in Bellevue, and I assume others around here. The kit is $17 http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=95450 and is stocked in their store... I saw it over the weekend when I was getting a new tool. It will last you more than a lifetime, and has most, but not all, the common scuba sizes. What it doesn't have, you can order in onsies-twosies from http://www.smallparts.com (Amazon runs their online presence, and I _think_ Amazon owns the company. They're good.) Most noticeably, the cheap viton kit lacks the tank neck o-rings and the small HP spool o-rings, but it's more than capable of rebuilding a power inflator.

You can use Buna-N o-rings here, no problem. I just only like to stock one kind of o-ring, so I use viton. Buna-N is cheaper, but not "o2" compatible. You're never going to feed 100% through a power inflator, or even 50% nitrox, so you won't care.

You could always just go to your LDS and ask them for an o-ring if you know what you need. I've done that in a pinch, and usually they'll help out (and I am always happy to pay for it, of course.)

Finally, for lube, I use ChristoLube for everything. Buy it at the LDS or online (http://www.diveriteexpress.com has it, for instance, at a reasonable price.) It seems expensive, but it is a lifetime supply... I've been on my Scubapro tube for five years, now, use it for all my reg rebuilds, use it EVERY time I put the rebreather together to grease the o-rings, and I've barely made a dent in the tube. Seriously. It's nuts. For $18, you have all you'd ever need, and it's totally oxygen compatible.

On the other hand, it's not like you have to treat the power inflator like some Oxygen clean first stage regulator. Spray on silicone lube (or, better, pump/bottle dropper style) from Lowe's will be more than good enough for the inflator.

Hope this helps you out...
There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots...
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

While you're at Harbor Freight picking up an O-ring kit you might take a look at the little ultrasonic cleaner they have. I don't have one, but I've been eying it.

-Ben
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

WOW talk about help!Thanks so much, yes I think when I get home tonight I will take a picture and post exactly what I am talking about. The jewelry cleaner may be justified and you are right "Hunny I got this to keep my wedding ring all shiny and easy to see" might work.
You have taken what was once an unknown, somewhat intimidating DIY project and instilled confidence. I am very handy with tools, building, and doing it myself but have JUST entered SCUBA. I was a little reluctant to work on things that are somewhat life supporting. However after your help and me really looking at the simple valve setup I feel as though Im fine, and its pretty simple to run a series of tests without actually being 45fsw deep.
Ordering O ring kit today.

Thanks alot,
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

I had cracked my inflator on my BC and a new inflator was about $15.00.
They are all pretty standard.
Just an added option. :dontknow:
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
smike
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by smike »

BASSMAN wrote:I had cracked my inflator on my BC and a new inflator was about $15.00.
Where for $15? I can only find $45.

Mike
Behold, the King reigns! You are his publicity agents. Therefore advertise, advertise, advertise, the King and his kingdom.
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

smike wrote:
BASSMAN wrote:I had cracked my inflator on my BC and a new inflator was about $15.00.
Where for $15? I can only find $45.

Mike
Talk to Mike at Underwater Sports in Lakewood (Tacoma). :supz:
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Tacoma Screw sells single Buna-N orings for the "rip off" price of about 5 cents each depending on size. But when you need some for inflators (suit or BC) or other applications like this and want to hold up the original against the new, they do the trick. Hard to complain walking out only spending a quarter, tax included.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
camerone
Submariner

Post by camerone »

Not to revive a mostly dead thread, but I did finally find the list - actually, I was reminded of it by a thread on TDS, from which I'm shamelessly adding here:

Power inflator button shaft - 006
Power inflator button body -112 and 012
BC hose fitting - 011
Exhaust button - 110

Viton 75 duro would be my choice for material, but only 'cause I have a bin full...
There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots...