Anyone have 34 pounds of leadshot weights laying around?

No commercial posts, please. Individual divers only.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Anyone have 34 pounds of leadshot weights laying around?

Post by Norris »

Just thought I would toss a line before going to my LDS and pricing. This is all I need to be rent free.
I looked online but what do you know, shipping would be a little expensive.
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
sunnydude
Extreme Diving Machine

Re: Anyone have 34 pounds of leadshot weights laying around?

Post by sunnydude »

I feel your pain Norris! This is the last thing that I need to complete my setup.
Sean
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

PM sent, although I don't have the full 34 lbs laying around.
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

i have a few extra pounds too. let me know how much you need and i can try to get some your way. i could get you probably at least 8-10 lbs.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

So far 0
Sax has an 8 pound weight belt for me (Thanks Scott).
Last I did a weight check I was a little heavy (bout 3 feet under surface) with 38 pounds. So was figuring about 36 may be my ideal weight.

36 - 8 = 28

Now I would more than happy to compensate anyone with money, beer, or Bison hides should you have some. I'm certainly not looking for freebies. However if there are extra I wont turn them down, just want you all to know I am willing to purchase.

Rick
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
vbcoachchris
Dive-aholic

Post by vbcoachchris »

I have a buch of 6 lb er's you can have

Most likely 30 lbs or so

Scott
425 241 1113
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Actually those 6's may be perfect for my set up. Ill give you a call this weekend? Any particular time?

Spat could certainly use yours too, when could we hook up?

Damn Im supposed to be diving this weekend and I have a cold creeping up on me. Wonder if I can beat it before Saturday??
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
BillZ
Aquanaut

Post by BillZ »

I saw this on Craigs list earlier today......

http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/spo/953054379.html
vbcoachchris
Dive-aholic

Post by vbcoachchris »

I am diving 3 tree Saturday morning, but anytime in the afternoon works

Scott
smike
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by smike »

I have 2 5lbs soft I am willing to part with.

Mike
Behold, the King reigns! You are his publicity agents. Therefore advertise, advertise, advertise, the King and his kingdom.
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

check craigs list there is a guy in seattle area seling 40 lbs
Maverick

Diving. . . is an active physical form of meditation. It is so silent- You're like a thought.

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR
ANYTHING, BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE
STAIRS.
Samson

Post by Samson »

Go to your local sporting goods store. Lead shot is going for about 2 bucks a pound these days. You can put the shot in airtight ziplock baggies doubled up and vacumed out. (Ya gotta measure it of course so you know the weight). Also, with this method you dont have the lead getting wet everytime and leaching the poisonous lead into the water all the time your diving. It works great!
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

Samson wrote:with this method you dont have the lead getting wet everytime and leaching the poisonous lead into the water all the time your diving. It works great!
:-({|=
Maverick

Diving. . . is an active physical form of meditation. It is so silent- You're like a thought.

STAIRS.
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

YOu could buy tungsten Bird shot if you re really worried. it is heavier than lead and you can have less bulk too, just a thought.
Maverick

STAIRS.
Samson

Post by Samson »

Maverick wrote:YOu could buy tungsten Bird shot if you re really worried. it is heavier than lead and you can have less bulk too, just a thought.
Na,... tungsten is way to expensive....Im suprised that with all the "green" movement around here,..(they have even outlawed the use of lead in hunting waterfoul because the expended shot in the water is poisoning the waterfoul) nobody is mentioning the considerable amount of lead poisoning we are leaching into the water evey time we dive...Everyone is so concerned about saving and preserving the places we dive, yet it is the divers themselves that are placing some of the poison.....when it is a simple process of either painting the lead and coating it or simply sealing the lead in a waterproof wrapping to completely eliminate the problem...Im sure you have all seen the large amounts of the milky white liquid you get everytime you wash your weights off after diving.... that my friends is the lead contamination leaching out the lead....but hey mav,.... if ya dont believe me,... pour some of it into a cup next time and take a drink! (thats a joke btw!) :evil4:

OK,.. im off the soapbox......
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Samson wrote:
Maverick wrote:YOu could buy tungsten Bird shot if you re really worried. it is heavier than lead and you can have less bulk too, just a thought.
Na,... tungsten is way to expensive....Im suprised that with all the "green" movement around here,..(they have even outlawed the use of lead in hunting waterfoul because the expended shot in the water is poisoning the waterfoul) nobody is mentioning the considerable amount of lead poisoning we are leaching into the water evey time we dive...Everyone is so concerned about saving and preserving the places we dive, yet it is the divers themselves that are placing some of the poison.....when it is a simple process of either painting the lead and coating it or simply sealing the lead in a waterproof wrapping to completely eliminate the problem...Im sure you have all seen the large amounts of the milky white liquid you get everytime you wash your weights off after diving.... that my friends is the lead contamination leaching out the lead....but hey mav,.... if ya dont believe me,... pour some of it into a cup next time and take a drink! (thats a joke btw!) :evil4:

This has been discussed on boards all over many times. The bottom line is that the amount of lead introduced to a given body of water is completely insignificant compared to the amounts added from industrail waste, fishing, and waste water runoff. The milky crap is of far more danager to the actual diver when washing off the softweights than it is to the environment. Wash your hands after handling, don't drink the nasty stuff, and you'll be fine.
Samson

Post by Samson »

""This has been discussed on boards all over many times. The bottom line is that the amount of lead introduced to a given body of water is completely insignificant compared to the amounts added from industrail waste, fishing, and waste water runoff. The milky crap is of far more danager to the actual diver when washing off the softweights than it is to the environment. Wash your hands after handling, don't drink the nasty stuff, and you'll be fine...""

True,... but isnt that kind of like saying...."this one plastic bag I drop into the ocean every time I go diving is very insignificant compared to the amounts added from industrial waste, , etc, etc, etc,........" but hey,,... just making conversation....

Ok, I am really , really, off my soapbox,....
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Samson wrote:Go to your local sporting goods store. Lead shot is going for about 2 bucks a pound these days. You can put the shot in airtight ziplock baggies doubled up and vacumed out. (Ya gotta measure it of course so you know the weight). Also, with this method you dont have the lead getting wet everytime and leaching the poisonous lead into the water all the time your diving. It works great!
Thanks Samson and in my original post I mentioned that I would be doing that very thing.(LDS) I wanted to cast a line first however; to see if there was any out there for sale, for cheaper. These people have really helped in the past so I thought I would check it out.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

Samson wrote:

I WAS TOTALLY BEING A SMART ASS. of course your not going to use bird shot, way to much money. But the amount of lead we leech is not even worth talking about, not to mention it would take a certain amount of time for the reaction of the salt an lead to even occur. there is little to none leeched out each dive.

I say enjoy neutral buoyancy and use the lead you need, and worry about other stuff than lead guys.

Have you seen the side ways snow/rain coming down tonight. I just drove from marysville to my house in lynnwood and holy crap was it stormy, there was so much water on the road hydroplaning was not an option. I enjoyed it but Cuppie didn't. :occasion5:
Maverick

STAIRS.
bob
Avid Diver

Post by bob »

i have a brand new 25lb bag of #6 sell for half of cost.i think it was 20 or25$ new
sunnydude
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by sunnydude »

bob wrote:i have a brand new 25lb bag of #6 sell for half of cost.i think it was 20 or25$ new
Where are you located Bob?
Sean
Samson

Post by Samson »

Just an FYI..... I bought 25 more lbs of 7 shot at Cabelas today... it went for 38 bucks..... That is pretty cheap weight. I already vacuum sealed it....it works awesome!

P.S. They had new vacuume sealers on sale for 75 bucks... regular price...180.00.... fyi...
Last edited by Samson on Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Thanks for the heads up Samson
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
bob
Avid Diver

Post by bob »

warrenton
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

hey norris

i totally forgot to bring those 10lb bricks with me last saturday. #-o

sounds like you may have things covered, though. let me know if you still need them.