2.5" LCD monitor....where to buy locally?

Post and discuss beautiful underwater photos and video brought back from the depths of the sea.
mz53480
I've Got Gills

2.5" LCD monitor....where to buy locally?

Post by mz53480 »

Hi all,

I'm trying to hook up an external LCD monitor from my digital camera.
This is what I'd like to get:
untitled.JPG
Anyone know where to get one locally (or at least in the USA)?
I can find this on ebay, but would like to buy locally if possible.

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-5-Portable-TV-LCD ... otohosting

Thanks!

MZ

:fish:
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Re: 2.5" LCD monitor....where to buy locally?

Post by cardiver »

My view screen on my Casio camera is bigger than that...... :bootyshake:
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

cardiver wrote:My view screen on my Casio camera is bigger than that...... :bootyshake:
AAHHHRRGGHH!! #-o
can I hook up my camera to it and see video? If so, how much do you want for it?
:smt051

MZ
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

It's not for sale....Kind of hard to take uw pics without a camera.
What camera are you using?
Attachments
casio.jpg
casio.jpg (29.63 KiB) Viewed 2004 times
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

You should be able to hook it up to any tv that has video in and review your stuff. You might think about one of those video picture frames. Allot of them have video in.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Mz, there's a lot of folks here who are good at problem solving, but I think we need more data to help you out. What specifically are you trying to do?

I had assumed that this was to go in a video camera housing to be able to see what you're filming without having to make the housing big enough to have a flip out viewfinder. If it's for viewing video's after the fact that's a whole different story... More data please....
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

Nwbrewer wrote:Mz, there's a lot of folks here who are good at problem solving, but I think we need more data to help you out. What specifically are you trying to do?

I had assumed that this was to go in a video camera housing to be able to see what you're filming without having to make the housing big enough to have a flip out viewfinder. If it's for viewing video's after the fact that's a whole different story... More data please....
Hi, yes it's to do the latter (go in a video camera housing to be able to see what you're filming without having to make the housing big enough to have a flip out viewfinder).
Sorry, I should have clarified earlier, saved some confusion.
Thanks for the help, greatly appreciated.

MZ
Check out the VIDEOS!
Dmitchell
Perma Narc'd

Post by Dmitchell »

I've got a monitor back on my housing. One thing I find interesting is that on the monitor, I'll think that the lights are washing out the video but when I get home. I usually find that the video is dark. So my point is that even with a good LCD you can't always trust what you are seeing.

Just a tip,

DM
Dave Mitchell
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

The backup camera (for cars/trucks) that you can buy at Costco for around $70 has video inputs.
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
camerone
Submariner

Post by camerone »

mz53480 wrote:Hi all,

I'm trying to hook up an external LCD monitor from my digital camera.
This is what I'd like to get:

Amazon.com has this, which is 5 inches, but it's cheap and will work with a little help from a Dremel...$70 + shipping.
http://www.amazon.com/Zenith-LCD-Displa ... B000A7FVLG
Unfortunately, it's a third-party merchant offer, but if the deal goes bad, Amazon has their A-Z buying guarantee for it. There have been a LOT of similar products over the last few years, and they're pretty darn inexpensive - look for these for the PS2/3 and the XBox or Xbox 360. Perhaps you could find one that worked for you.

If you really need it that small, you may be hard pressed to find what you want. I was at Value Village the other day getting a cheap piece of clothing to cut up for a pattern, and they had a few small first-gen LCD TVs (Sony "watchmen" types) in the back, which would work. They're going to be dirt cheap soon with the Digital TV transition...they become useless, but if they have external video in, they would work for this application. I think the one I saw on the back shelf was about $5. The nice part is they're made to run off AA batteries, so no surgery needed to power it. :) RadioShack even used to sell one brand new that was very inexpensive...I think Casio made it. In any case, you could look on their clearance table - there's not much out there worth patronizing a Radio Shack for these days, but the clearance table sometimes holds a gem that got lost in the stockroom.

One issue you might have is washout in bright conditions. When I worked on in-dash computing, we had to source very expensive LCDs so that they wouldn't wash out in sunlight when people drove around. Up here it's not a problem, but if you travel, any of the inexpensive options you're looking at will suck... I think that's a technical term... you will wash out on any of these $40 backup camera LCDs, hacked up baby monitors, etc.

The upside is that good LCDs have become cheaper in the last few years, but they're hard to find, and, once incorporated into gizmos like this, almost impossible to find the specs for.

Ugh... until I started searching my usual suppliers for you, I didn't realize just how hard it is to find an LCD smaller than 5 inches these days. Wow.
There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots...