anyone ever dive the columbia?

A place for Oregonians to plan a car-pooling road trip, find a nearby diveable mudhole, and meet new local dive buddies.
kat
Extreme Diving Machine

anyone ever dive the columbia?

Post by kat »

hoping to find some very local dive sites. any suggestions? anything i should know about diving in the area?
any info is good info.
thank you

and HELLO!
"As long as you get everything tucked into your pants, you are good to go." -wasp7000
airsix
I've Got Gills

Re: anyone ever dive the columbia?

Post by airsix »

Kat,
Welcome to nwdiveclub. This is the BEST dive forum without question. You'll love it here.

First things first. Where exactly is "local"? The Columbia runs from Canada to Oregon so you gotta give us some hints about where you are. Wherever you are I'm sure we can help you find some people to dive with. That's what this club does best.

FYI I'm in Kennewick, WA and dived the Columbia just yesterday.

-Ben

ps - You can add your location to your profile using the "User Control Panel" link up top.
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
selkie
Submariner

Post by selkie »

Hi Kat,

I have dove the Columbia in the Portland area. As Airsix says it would help to define local. Now is certainly not the time to dive the lower river do to run off causing poor visibility and other complicating factors due to high water levels i.e. fast currents, floating log and other debris.
"A man must have some wit to know he is a fool"

Maritime Archaeological Society (MAS)
http://maritimearchaeological.org/

Northwest Diving History Association (NWDHA)
http://www.divinghistory.org/
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Geez....I'm glad that you guys responded before I managed to make a fool of myself,(all too easy for me, sometimes!). I was getting ready to respond with a bunch of information on diving the "wreck" of HMCS Columbia up by Campbell River! #-o
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

John Rawlings wrote:Geez....I'm glad that you guys responded before I managed to make a fool of myself,(all too easy for me, sometimes!). I was getting ready to respond with a bunch of information on diving the "wreck" of HMCS Columbia up by Campbell River! #-o
We'd love to hear all about it! :evil4:
kat
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by kat »

sorry, portland. i'm actually on a floating home on jantzen beach, so i can attest to the current current conditions. i will be getting my certification in a couple of weeks, and am planning for the future.
"As long as you get everything tucked into your pants, you are good to go." -wasp7000
nwbobber
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by nwbobber »

I have dove the lower columbia a few times, and I wouldn't recommend it. It was zero visibility, current, who knows what drifting by. Maybe try one of the lakes on Mt Hood.
If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading - Lao Tzu
kat
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by kat »

i know that from time to time the vis isn't that bad. anyone have any recommendations for when this rare opportunity presents itself?
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

kat wrote:i know that from time to time the vis isn't that bad. anyone have any recommendations for when this rare opportunity presents itself?
When the weather is too cold for algae combined with a long period without rain (rain = runoff).
-Ben
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
nice-diver
Compulsive Diver

Post by nice-diver »

How about under your floating house...wouldn't take long to drive there.
i flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nice-diver/

Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather, because it's easier to harrass rich women than motorcycle gangs!
loanwolf
Pelagic

Re: anyone ever dive the Columbia?

Post by loanwolf »

I used to live in Eastern Washington and have dove the Columbia in many areas. You really have to define local. The currents range for the full flow of the river to nice and calm in the reservoirs. Lake Roosevelt has great diving in early spring when the water is high. You find all kinds of things. their still are remnants of settlements and some mines that can be interesting to dive. Look at old USGS maps dated before the dam project and go find the old towns. For the most part it is best in early spring when the water is high and flow is low and boat traffic is not so bad. they do not know what a dive flag is or give a rat's ass if they do know. all you are is road kill ](*,) .
Greg
Life is Short do as Much as Possible in as Short of Period of Time as Possible.
selkie
Submariner

Post by selkie »

Kat,

Don't dive under the floating home. The floating home marinas, regular marinas, piers, and wing dams are some of the most dangers places to dive on the river for a variety of reasons. Ask your instructor in class about diving in the river and particularly around marinas.

Come on out to the meeting it is free. You can meet some local divers and ask questions.

Date: Monday January 5, 2009
Time: 7:00 pm - 8:00 pm
Repeats: This event repeats every month on the first Monday.
Street: Round Table at 13009 NE Highway 99
City State Zip: Vancouver, WA
Phone: 360-574-5755
"A man must have some wit to know he is a fool"

Maritime Archaeological Society (MAS)
http://maritimearchaeological.org/

Northwest Diving History Association (NWDHA)
http://www.divinghistory.org/
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

hi kat

sorry i'm a little late to this thread, but welcome to NWDC! i hope you find the info you're looking for, and please keep us posted as to when you decide to go diving, whether in the columbia or elsewhere.

selkie wrote:Come on out to the meeting it is free. You can meet some local divers and ask questions.
which group is meeting, selkie? is it a particular dive club?
kat
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by kat »

i will do my best to attend. i look forward to meeting some people. thank you.
kat
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by kat »

here's a pic from my first dive! it was on the columbia.... that counts right?
Attachments
Photo0014.jpg
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

kat wrote:here's a pic from my first dive! it was on the columbia.... that counts right?

nice. gives a whole new context to the term "skindiving".

viz looks kinda murky though. less than a foot at best...
kat
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by kat »

about 10 inches. i need a deeper tub. and i cant find my duckie.
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

kat wrote:about 10 inches. i need a deeper tub. and i cant find my duckie.
Keep looking, those little buggers turn up in the strangest places........ :evil4:

What?! :dontknow: :evil4:
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

kat wrote:i cant find my duckie.
sounds like you might need to organize a search team. i'm sure there are plenty of willing volunteers on this forum...
kat
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by kat »

missing duckie!

have you seen me?
Attachments
duckie.jpg
duckie.jpg (8.46 KiB) Viewed 5109 times
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

kat wrote:missing duckie!

have you seen me?

that's a very common duckie here in portland. but if i see one wandering around untethered, i'll be sure to let you know.
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

I'm in, I'll dive in ten inches for an organized dive any time.
Maverick

Diving. . . is an active physical form of meditation. It is so silent- You're like a thought.

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR
ANYTHING, BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE
STAIRS.
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Wow. I'm going to have to quietly back away from this thread before my wife looks over my shoulder and see's Kat's bare @ss. [blush]
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

kat wrote:missing duckie!

have you seen me?
I considered S&M duckie and went with devil duckie myself :prayer:
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

Seriously you guys, this forum was dead, up until a few days ago. :dontknow: :prayer: #-o [-X :evil4:

Now I can't pick on Spatman for Moderating.......well......nothing. :smt024 :dontknow:

Oh, Kat, welcome the the NWDC! I thought I heard a Muffled Duck Quack down at Alki, but that's just rediculous, Ducks fly SOUTH for the winter. :bootyshake: