Welcome Oregon Divers!

A place for Oregonians to plan a car-pooling road trip, find a nearby diveable mudhole, and meet new local dive buddies.
User avatar
sparky
I've Got Gills
Posts: 1269
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:54 pm

Re: Welcome Oregon Divers!

Post by sparky » Sun Aug 31, 2008 6:56 pm

nwbobber wrote:We were in Garibaldi last weekend and he said he was quitting business this month, due to health reasons. I hope someone else picks up the business.



me to but he has been saying that for 2 years now though but stil i hope some one bys it
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
Learns from the mistakes of those that have gone before him

User avatar
Bluesman
Just Settling In
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:34 pm

Re: Welcome Oregon Divers!

Post by Bluesman » Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:07 pm

Thanks to Sparky, a friend and I stopped in at Garibaldi Scuba about 1 month ago. Dick was very friendly and we bought a few items. But I must say the supply of current items seemed to be small. We hope Dick or someone else keeps a shop open in the Tillamook area.
Bluesman

User avatar
ORDiver
Aquanaut
Posts: 625
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:54 pm

Re: Welcome Oregon Divers!

Post by ORDiver » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:01 pm

This is cool. We need to get a coast dive together. I'd be up to try Tillamook Bay on either the weekend of 9/13 or the weekend of 9/20. Would anyone with some OR coast experience like to go? The tides look better on 9/20-21.

User avatar
sparky
I've Got Gills
Posts: 1269
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:54 pm

Re: Welcome Oregon Divers!

Post by sparky » Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:26 am

ORDiver wrote:This is cool. We need to get a coast dive together. I'd be up to try Tillamook Bay on either the weekend of 9/13 or the weekend of 9/20. Would anyone with some OR coast experience like to go? The tides look better on 9/20-21.



I would love to go but this is the weekend i Will be at dive training for the URT it is always the third weekend of each month

have to sit this one out as well, Man I just cant catch a brake on this diving thing

think I'm going to dig a deep hole in the yard and fill it with water

wonder if my land lord would get pissed
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
Learns from the mistakes of those that have gone before him

User avatar
spatman
I've Got Gills
Posts: 10881
Joined: Wed May 30, 2007 7:06 am

Re: Welcome Oregon Divers!

Post by spatman » Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:36 am

i'd be interested if it were sept 27-28 or oct 4-5. keep us posted...
Image

User avatar
ORDiver
Aquanaut
Posts: 625
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:54 pm

Re: Welcome Oregon Divers!

Post by ORDiver » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:42 pm

spatman wrote:i'd be interested if it were sept 27-28 or oct 4-5. keep us posted...


I'd be down with either of those weekends too. I would just be happy to dive Tillamook. Hey Spatman. You still going up to the sound on the 13th? Cause I'd be up for that too. And, back to a previous note, Oregon definately has the best beer. We got Deschutes, Rogue, Widmer, Bridgeport etc. And Portland traffic is nothin compared to the crap up in Seattle. So, maybe the diving isn't quite as good but.....eh, what the hell. Oregon rules!

Dave (Seattle Native)

User avatar
spatman
I've Got Gills
Posts: 10881
Joined: Wed May 30, 2007 7:06 am

Re: Welcome Oregon Divers!

Post by spatman » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:00 pm

ORDiver wrote:I'd be down with either of those weekends too. I would just be happy to dive Tillamook. Hey Spatman. You still going up to the sound on the 13th? Cause I'd be up for that too. And, back to a previous note, Oregon definately has the best beer. We got Deschutes, Rogue, Widmer, Bridgeport etc. And Portland traffic is nothin compared to the crap up in Seattle. So, maybe the diving isn't quite as good but.....eh, what the hell. Oregon rules!

Dave (Seattle Native)


welcome to the dark side, dave!

even though Deschutes is my current favorite brewery. there are many excellent Oregon beers. i do enjoy many of them and pledge my allegiance to S.N.O.B.

the 13th is still on, too. i believe oregondiver (shell) is interested in diving that day too. the more the merrier. maybe there can be a carpool/caravan going. i'll post a thread about it soon. any requests on a dive site?
Image

User avatar
ORDiver
Aquanaut
Posts: 625
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:54 pm

Re: Welcome Oregon Divers!

Post by ORDiver » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:11 am

spatman wrote:
ORDiver wrote:I'd be down with either of those weekends too. I would just be happy to dive Tillamook. Hey Spatman. You still going up to the sound on the 13th? Cause I'd be up for that too. And, back to a previous note, Oregon definately has the best beer. We got Deschutes, Rogue, Widmer, Bridgeport etc. And Portland traffic is nothin compared to the crap up in Seattle. So, maybe the diving isn't quite as good but.....eh, what the hell. Oregon rules!

Dave (Seattle Native)


welcome to the dark side, dave!

even though Deschutes is my current favorite brewery. there are many excellent Oregon beers. i do enjoy many of them and pledge my allegiance to S.N.O.B.

the 13th is still on, too. i believe oregondiver (shell) is interested in diving that day too. the more the merrier. maybe there can be a carpool/caravan going. i'll post a thread about it soon. any requests on a dive site?

I've got a truck with room for one more or would be willing to carpool up. I would be interested in diving Alki Pipeline on the west side of Alki point. :occasion5:

User avatar
ORDiver
Aquanaut
Posts: 625
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:54 pm

Re: Welcome Oregon Divers!

Post by ORDiver » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:13 am

ORDiver wrote:
spatman wrote:
ORDiver wrote:I'd be down with either of those weekends too. I would just be happy to dive Tillamook. Hey Spatman. You still going up to the sound on the 13th? Cause I'd be up for that too. And, back to a previous note, Oregon definately has the best beer. We got Deschutes, Rogue, Widmer, Bridgeport etc. And Portland traffic is nothin compared to the crap up in Seattle. So, maybe the diving isn't quite as good but.....eh, what the hell. Oregon rules!

Dave (Seattle Native)


welcome to the dark side, dave!

even though Deschutes is my current favorite brewery. there are many excellent Oregon beers. i do enjoy many of them and pledge my allegiance to S.N.O.B.

the 13th is still on, too. i believe oregondiver (shell) is interested in diving that day too. the more the merrier. maybe there can be a carpool/caravan going. i'll post a thread about it soon. any requests on a dive site?

I've got a truck with room for one more or would be willing to carpool up. I would be interested in diving Alki Pipeline on the west side of Alki point. :occasion5:

Deshutes has been my favorite for awhile. Ya just can't beat Black Butte Porter.

User avatar
oregondiver
Submariner
Posts: 579
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:16 am

Re: Welcome Oregon Divers!

Post by oregondiver » Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:15 am

I am still 90% in for diving on the 13th.

I would prefer somewhere closer than heading all the way to Alki (sorry!).

I have been on the road for at least 8-12 hours each weekend for the past 3 weekends, so I don't want yet MORE hours in the car if I don't have to.

Anywhere on Hood Canal? Or I might be up for boat dive out of Tacoma?
Discussing the Whites Fusion: "Looks like you are wearing a startrek leotard with bunched-up undies..." -Airsix

"fins are like shoes....you can never have enough pairs." -Lizard0924

User avatar
spatman
I've Got Gills
Posts: 10881
Joined: Wed May 30, 2007 7:06 am

Re: Welcome Oregon Divers!

Post by spatman » Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:19 am

i can appreciate that. Alki is a haul from here. dave, would you be staying overnight if you came up? there's a small chance i may stay the weekend as well. i'll know within a few days.
Image

User avatar
oregondiver
Submariner
Posts: 579
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:16 am

Re: Welcome Oregon Divers!

Post by oregondiver » Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:24 am

If it looks like peeps want Alki, or are staying up there for the weekend, I might pass on that weekend and just get a few more dive in October. No worries, so plan for the group instead of me and if it works out that i can make it...great.

My backplate STILL didn't show up last night. grrrr.... :axe:
Discussing the Whites Fusion: "Looks like you are wearing a startrek leotard with bunched-up undies..." -Airsix

"fins are like shoes....you can never have enough pairs." -Lizard0924

User avatar
spatman
I've Got Gills
Posts: 10881
Joined: Wed May 30, 2007 7:06 am

Re: Welcome Oregon Divers!

Post by spatman » Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:28 am

aw, c'mon, shell! don't give up that easily! you know you want to dive! :bounce:

let's see what dave says, and if there's anybody else interested in coming up that weekend, too. (divernick?) we'll work something out.
Image

User avatar
ORDiver
Aquanaut
Posts: 625
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:54 pm

Re: Welcome Oregon Divers!

Post by ORDiver » Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:14 pm

I'd be perfectly happy with Hood Canal. I still have never been to the wall at Octopus Hole. I would probably just go up for Saturday. Got to get as much use out of the nice weather around the house as I can. If anyone wants to carpool up for just Saturday that would be great.

User avatar
oregondiver
Submariner
Posts: 579
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:16 am

Re: Welcome Oregon Divers!

Post by oregondiver » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:32 am

My "little package" finally came.

My husband had to carry it into the house it was so heavy. :bounce:

I might try to put together on Sunday, I am so excited!!!
Discussing the Whites Fusion: "Looks like you are wearing a startrek leotard with bunched-up undies..." -Airsix

"fins are like shoes....you can never have enough pairs." -Lizard0924

User avatar
spatman
I've Got Gills
Posts: 10881
Joined: Wed May 30, 2007 7:06 am

Re: Welcome Oregon Divers!

Post by spatman » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:39 am

oregondiver wrote:My "little package" finally came.

My husband had to carry it into the house it was so heavy. :bounce:

I might try to put together on Sunday, I am so excited!!!


awesome!

let me know if you have any questions.
Image

divernick
Aquaphile
Posts: 182
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:30 pm

Re: Welcome Oregon Divers!

Post by divernick » Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:02 pm

I think I'll be able to go on saturday, I'll know for sure wednesday evening.

Nick

User avatar
narcosis Junky
Aquaphile
Posts: 152
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:05 am

Re: Welcome Oregon Divers!

Post by narcosis Junky » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:13 pm

For those of you who don't know where to get air in Oregon, here is the list. And make a note of it for those of you with short term memmory.

You can get air in :

South Beach SCUBA in Newport: http://southbeachscuba.shopping.officel ... fault.aspx
Florence- Central Coast Water Sports-541-997-1812
Eugene= Eugene Skin Diver's Supply-541-342-2351
North Bend (coos Bay)-Sunset Sports-541-756-3483
Astoria SCUBA: http://www.astoriascuba.com/

That should help Oregon coast divers as far as air fills.

Good diving

Narcosys Junky
Last edited by narcosis Junky on Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Want to go dive in Oregon. I can help. Biginner or experienced it doesn't matter.
want to do some underwater photography I will help if I can. I'm a dive Junky. Cold or hot.
I spear fish, night dive, deep dive. I do it all. Contact me.
http://flickr.com/photos/8680102@N04/

divernick
Aquaphile
Posts: 182
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:30 pm

Re: Welcome Oregon Divers!

Post by divernick » Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:50 pm

When I was in Port Orford a number of years back, we were able to get fills at the fire department. Anyone know if that is still an option?

User avatar
narcosis Junky
Aquaphile
Posts: 152
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:05 am

Re: Welcome Oregon Divers!

Post by narcosis Junky » Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:55 pm

due to liability, fire stations will not fill scuba tanks any more. But you can try if you want. A lot of politics if you catch my drift. Fire stations don't mind doing it, it's the superiors up above that make the call. :angryfire:
Want to go dive in Oregon. I can help. Biginner or experienced it doesn't matter.
want to do some underwater photography I will help if I can. I'm a dive Junky. Cold or hot.
I spear fish, night dive, deep dive. I do it all. Contact me.
http://flickr.com/photos/8680102@N04/

happydivelucky
Just Settling In
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:40 am

Re: Welcome Oregon Divers!

Post by happydivelucky » Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:23 am

Go Oregon, woo hoooo! :partyman: :occasion5:
In order to explore new oceans, you must be willing to take your eyes off the shore.

User avatar
Leithius
Just Settling In
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:11 am

Re: Welcome Oregon Divers!

Post by Leithius » Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:18 pm

Yeah confirmed - this forum is pimp. Especially with all the people from OR. Glad to have a corner on here for us. I have heard less than stellar reviews from divers up north about conditions and sites down here. But I need someplace closer than the Sound. Really wanting to try Tillamook Bay and Clear lake after seeing pics and reading reviews. Let me know if there is an upcoming trip everyone. I have my Advanced OW cert.

Leithius
60% of the time it works, every time...

User avatar
Pez7378
I've Got Gills
Posts: 3256
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:09 am

Re: Welcome Oregon Divers!

Post by Pez7378 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:21 pm

Pimp? I dunno. I guess the forum is Pimp, but the Moderator is Wack!

User avatar
spatman
I've Got Gills
Posts: 10881
Joined: Wed May 30, 2007 7:06 am

Re: Welcome Oregon Divers!

Post by spatman » Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:48 pm

Pez7378 wrote:Pimp? I dunno. I guess the forum is Pimp, but the Moderator is Wack!


oh no you di-ent! shorty come a rollin' all up in heah, trippin' on a modahratuh as wack?!? nuh-uh, son. you best show homies some love or you'll get the taste smacked out yo mout'.
Image

User avatar
Sounder
I've Got Gills
Posts: 7231
Joined: Wed May 24, 2006 2:39 pm

Re: Welcome Oregon Divers!

Post by Sounder » Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:13 pm

Pez7378 wrote:Pimp? I dunno. I guess the forum is Pimp, but the Moderator is Wack!


He'z wiggity wack, ya herd? DIVER PLEEZE!! :rr:
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!

Post Reply