When Cabbies Go Bad .. EUP 1/ 14

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

When Cabbies Go Bad .. EUP 1/ 14

Post by H20doctor »

Me and casey geared up for a night dive at Edmonds Underwater today... Got ready for the 7pm slack and got in at about 630 ... Swam out to the Jetty way Bouy and then dropped ... Hit 13 Feet at the Bottom and thought to myself in the dark cloudy river water... Dang I am really Deep !!! WOW ... Gave the circle sig to casey with my death light and we began the Rope World TOUR :supz: all was nice viewing the rope with all the macro life.. Shrimp. Seaweed, small crabs , tube worms... Then Bam !!!! There it is ..big headed creature sitting on Purple egg mass.. He or She is dang mad... I quickly hit the inflator and get some distance from it.. Cabbie Cabbie Oh you nasty beast you.. Now you've gone and thumped me .. In the Dark.. Dam .. We swim on jetty Lights blazing in the 10 foot Vis.. Next we come to some small boats and just as we are cresting over to the other side ... ARRRRRRGGGG another Cabbie On eggs.. !! Swim away .. Swim away for your life man please swim .. Back on the rope then came across an amazing orange Nudi with so much orange color and its blowing my mind at the tangerine color... Swim swim.. Next on the left at 33 feet is a really large cabin style Boat.. As we aproach the back of the Vessel Yet another slimy death diver Killer !! Cabbie wait 2 cabbies ON EGGS !!! One is really pale Blue color and the other a deep brown.. Dang scary cabbies in the darkness on my dive. I swim to the Bow of the boat and it covered in shrimp and there just chillin eating some late night snacks of algae. I stick my finger towards one and it comes over and starts cleaning my finger. Very funny as I let him climb up on my glove and he is just cleaning and snacking on my glove likes it some good eatn.. Back to the rope and then I see casey come over to me telling me in underwater scuba bubble communicstion that.. That them there Beast just knocked him in the Dark 2 times.. Dam Cabbie .. The mean sucker has the scales to swim away back to his eggs and just Look at us like " what ? " Your in my Hood Suka !! I've hit 1000 psi time to turn and head in.. Back on the rope in the dark and we've got to navigate back with out being vialated by these beasts.. We made it in and no more Hits sweeeeeeeeet... 65 mins and very cold , but a nice dive as always for edmonds
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
Fishstiq
Amphibian

Re: When Cabbies Go Bad .. EUP 1/ 14

Post by Fishstiq »

I never thought I'd say it, but I think I'm glad I missed this one!
Not just front page famous, but above the fold famous...

Waiting for your AIDS test results is no time to be thinking positive.
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

Duuuddeee! Sounds Gnarly. Hey, remember, whenever those beasties lock on to you, all you can do is just cover your mask, and let 'em have their way with you! Greg and I were at TTN and got a good 60 min dive down to about 70ish. Saw a little stubby, and a Wolfeel tail! Saw a fish eating a shrimp, and a Star eating a crab.
sheahanmcculla
I've Got Gills

Post by sheahanmcculla »

I have yet to be rammed! Thanks posting the warning. I'm not sure if it sounds like fun, scary, or annoying?
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Yes Joe this dive would have scared you pretty good. And I know you hate getting hit by Cabbies LOL... Pez How's the leak coming along ?
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

H20doctor wrote:Yes Joe this dive would have scared you pretty good. And I know you hate getting hit by Cabbies LOL... Pez How's the leak coming along ?
Dryasabone!
sunnydude
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by sunnydude »

As someone who has never experience this, do they keep coming at you or a couple attacks and go back to the eggs?

Pez...I now truly understand why you didn't pose for a picture back in December with the Cab on the eggs. Thought it was just me. :crybaby:
Sean
Jaksonbrown
Amphibian

Post by Jaksonbrown »

I actually had a cabby hit me in the side of the head so hard last sat at EUP that I thought my companion had kicked me in the head.. I turned around to see the darn thing chewing on my arm... Had to physically swat the thing away...I was laughing so hard and trying to tell Peter what had happened I think he thought I was having some sort of panic attack or something... he just kept giving me the "are you ok" sign........hilarious!

Darn brave little fish.....
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Oh man there are two pretty common ones at EUP. The yellow bouy goes down to the big rope trail that leads you out to the boats. There is one about 2 feet long that sits right on the rope trail but didnt hit, just fronts up on ya like a tough guy. Always surprises me as I am following the rope. hehe However (excuse me for not being able to clearly define where) but it was out a ways around the area where the 3-4 boats are (under that flagged bouy) that there is this other one about 1.5 feet that is certainly aggresive. I got hit and chased for about 3 yards and so did my buddy. He hit my leg and my friend said he bit too, but I didnt feel anything. It was so funny as we swam away we ended up close to his area again and as my friend and I were just sitting there for a moment (not realizing we were that close) the little bugger comes up behind my friend and just stares at us "I thought I learned you guys to stay away already?!?"
I poke my buddy as he was looking at me, and point behind him where the Cabby is, he turns, takes it in and he screams..ha ha (I could tell from the bubbles) and starts to swim off while the cabby bumps him a couple times and goes back.
It was awesome and honestly I wouldnt not intentionally disturb a dad and his kids. When I see them I keep my distance, but sometimes you are just surprised, well everytime for me. What reading I have done it is rare that you will actually get damaged by one as they are really just trying to get the message across to leave. It tests your ability to keep calm under spontanious environements though thats for sure.

Rick
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Chevayea
Compulsive Diver

Post by Chevayea »

sunnydude wrote:As someone who has never experience this, do they keep coming at you or a couple attacks and go back to the eggs?
They usually just hit and return to their eggs, but occasionally they'll face off with you and take another lunge. It often feels like you just got kicked by your buddy (if you take it in the head). I've never had Cabbies gnaw on me...lingcod yes, they've bitten me.
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Chevayea wrote:
sunnydude wrote:As someone who has never experience this, do they keep coming at you or a couple attacks and go back to the eggs?
They usually just hit and return to their eggs, but occasionally they'll face off with you and take another lunge. It often feels like you just got kicked by your buddy (if you take it in the head). I've never had Cabbies gnaw on me...lingcod yes, they've bitten me.
You must be talking about your attack at Sund Rock :laughing3:
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
Chevayea
Compulsive Diver

Post by Chevayea »

BASSMAN wrote: You must be talking about your attack at Sund Rock :laughing3:
You remember that story, huh? Yep that's the one! =D> #-o