Mont Blanc Ice Diving

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Mont Blanc Ice Diving

Post by Tangfish »

I was watching a Nova episode on PBS today and I came across what is definitely the most extreme diving I've ever seen/heard of. These glaciologists are charged with finding hidden lakes within the glaciers of Mont Blanc, Europe's tallest mountain.

They did a dive to 80' within the glacier via a 'water well', looking for cracks in the glacier that could lead to or indicate a hidden lake. It was crazy, the water was actually just below 0 celsius and they had to rappel themselves and all their gear down into a giant hole in the ice and then saw through 6' of ice. In all, it was part cave dive, part extremely cold water ice dive, and part altitude dive (I think they were at around 10,000', not to mention the ice climbing and crevasse travel to get in and out. To top it all off, emergency support was tens of thousands of vertical feet away. Insane.

Here's the episode.
DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Post by DiverDown »

Yeah, I saw that one also,BRRRRRRR.. Kinda takes ice diving specialty to the next level!! :pale:
Who run barter town?
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Holy %*&#! That's some new kind of extreme sport allright!
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
diver-dad
Compulsive Diver

Post by diver-dad »

Wow! That's pretty hard-core diving. .... Talk about slim margins for error!
- DD

"Always do right -- this will gratify some and astonish the rest."
-Mark Twain
Sasquatch
Compulsive Diver

Post by Sasquatch »

I completely admire their dedication to their science but I say, without hesitation, I'd not like to try it.

Wow :prayer:
lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

i saw that a few years ago... was it 80 feet or 80 meters?
DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Post by DiverDown »

If I remember right,It was 80fgw \:D/ ...
Who run barter town?
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

I saw it too - wouldn't mind being the guy who's camping out waiting for the pink dye to show up, but they had 6 regulators between the three divers... by the time they finished, all but one were frozen.

Altitude+Climbing+Cold+Overhead/Dynamic Environment=?! I wonder if DAN would cover it.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!