Luxury Yacht Charter- San Juan Islands

Post your questions (and answers) about dive excursions abroad here.
sunnydude
Extreme Diving Machine

Re: Luxury Yacht Charter- San Juan Islands

Post by sunnydude »

Cory...what is your Carver going to be used for? The transport boat?
Sean
Jaksonbrown
Amphibian

Post by Jaksonbrown »

Im afraid the Carver is going to get swallowed up in the deal on the big boat,.. but Ill know more after this weekend...

Can I still join the yacht club with the 97'er??? It would make a great central raft for all the other yachts at gatherings....

Cory-
sunnydude
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by sunnydude »

After all the work you have put into her you are getting rid of her? That sucks. Many places make it hard to get into with such a large boat.
Sean
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

When do we get to see pictures of the beast? This sounds like quite a boat!! Is there a website that has pictures?
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I can't wait to see the new boat, Cory. And you and Kristina are always welcome to do the small trips with us on our boat. (Not quite as fancy as the Carver, but it gets four divers there and back!)
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Jaksonbrown
Amphibian

Post by Jaksonbrown »

Ill be posting pictures upon my return from closing the deal this weekend...If the yacht is all that is being presented to me and all the paperwork, inspections, etc.. check out.
I have got my fingers crossed.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

So what's the update? Do we get to see pictures now?! :bounce:
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

I'd love to see some pics of the yacht. :dontknow:
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
Jaksonbrown
Amphibian

Post by Jaksonbrown »

Weeeelllll,..........

Do you believe in fate? I went to AK to inspect and close the deal on the yacht.... Unfortunatly the lovely yacht broker lied out his butt about the quality and condition of the yacht. It was substandard to the quality of vessel I want to provide. It is my intention to provide a luxury charter boat with all the amenities on would want on a week long vacation without feeling that "confined" feeling of being on a boat that is too small or crampt.
Anyway, im rambling....
So I told that broker off and went back to a restaurant in the same complex to get a drink and soak my sorrows a little while I waited for my plane home. Upon voicing my aggravations to the barteneder he introduced me to a gentlemen down the bar who ,.. what do you know.... is a yacht broker! This guy pulls out his computer and pulls up exactly what I am looking for in a charter boat.....Unfortunatly it is on the east coast.
About the boat,...
She is 92' and fully USCG certified for 41 passengers. She has 10 private staterooms plus crews quarters,.. three decks, a commercial galley, 5 heads, 2 dive compressors + nitrox and is absolutly beautiful. She has 2 inflatable runnabouts and 2 jetskiis....Unfortunatly,... Im Gonna have to install the hottub myself..... :partyman: :supz:
I have no intention of filling the charter to capacity once she arrives, but will limit the passengers to 12 and 4 crew members for a much more intimate experience.
As the price of this vessel is more than 3 times what I was looking at for the yacht in AK,.. I have made the owner an offer that I have been told is most certainly going to be accepted. However, he is aboard his new 240'er on a charter trip in the bahamas right now.....A 240'er!!!! can you imagine?????
As soon as the offer is accepted I will post photos of the boat and get down to details....But I dont want to jinx it now by posting the photos.....

P.S.
I am in negotiation with a Capt that is VERY familiar with the local area , charter biz and dive locations. He is someone well respected and I am very excited to have him skipper this vessel... at least part time anyway.....I will be hiring a DM and a Hostess as well if anyone knows of anyone who might be interested in these positions....

Also, one last nugget.....

As the boat will have to be sailed south along Mexico and then through the panama canal and then north to us,.. I will be selling passages for anyone who wants to sail along for the ride and some diving down south to help ease the expence of bring her home......... Understand this will not be a "diving" vacation as we are wanting to move the vessel along as quickly as possible, but we must put in to port in the evenings and should be able to get in some diving each day,...however we will not be spending all day at dive locations......

Thats it for now,..
I should have an answer this week.....Keeping my fingers crossed...

Cory-
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

Man...I can hardly wait to maybe see pics of this one! =D>
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
sunnydude
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by sunnydude »

I should have warned you about dealing with Brokers. For every one that is honest, there is one who will make a sinking boat sound like a gem.

Good luck on this one.
Sean
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Just an idea - you might want to get a booth at DEMA in the dive travel area. I know the Aggressor, Nekton, and Blackbeard live-aboard charter operations all do a lot of advertising and dive travel sales at DEMA.
Jaksonbrown
Amphibian

Post by Jaksonbrown »

Thanks for the advice sounder,... but I wont be able to move that fast as the show is only a week away...
Good idea though,. maybe the Vegas show... but that is coming up quick also....
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Jaksonbrown wrote:Thanks for the advice sounder,... but I wont be able to move that fast as the show is only a week away...
Good idea though,. maybe the Vegas show... but that is coming up quick also....
The next DEMA show isn't until November 2009, in Orlando.
Jaksonbrown
Amphibian

Post by Jaksonbrown »

NO kidding?? I thought it was in feb...... November is definatly doable!
Hopefully we will have a summer under out belts by then and have some brochures avail with pics of the trips...
Last edited by Jaksonbrown on Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Jaksonbrown wrote:NO kidding?? I thought it was in feb...... November is definatly doable!
I'd consider a booth at DEMA a must, especially for a new luxury live-aboard charter.
BigFameOne
Compulsive Diver

Post by BigFameOne »

Sounder wrote:
Jaksonbrown wrote:NO kidding?? I thought it was in feb...... November is definatly doable!
I'd consider a booth at DEMA a must, especially for a new luxury live-aboard charter.

Agreed, a charter yacht of that caliber in our area which is already a bit of a destination dive site would be sweeeet. DEMA would be the best way to get the info into the hands of the people that will fill those 10 state rooms.

I want some pics. How cool.

I have worked on boats over the years crewing on varius barges, tugs, and working on some fishiing vessels and the boats from Deadliest Catch. I also am staring at well over a month of vacation to schedule this year, if you need a hand getting her up to our waters I would be more than happy to play a part.
"Cave is cave. Tech is when you can't get out when you want to."-LCF
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

Hopefully we will have a summer under out belts by then and have some brochures avail with pics of the trips...
I think the one you are thinking of is the show in Tacoma towards the end of April.

D(B)
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

I'll admit it-for the San Juans, I just don't see the market. Easy enough to stay in Friday Harbor and do day charters.

Is this more aimed at the inaccessible sites in Canada?
Fishstiq wrote:
To clarify.........

I cannot stress enough that this is MY PROBLEM.
mattwave
Amphibian

Post by mattwave »

dsteding wrote:I'll admit it-for the San Juans, I just don't see the market. Easy enough to stay in Friday Harbor and do day charters.

Is this more aimed at the inaccessible sites in Canada?
I don't know a one week circumnav of the San Juans, I could sell some Cali divers on it with a phone call. For much of the Puget Sounders we may not see the allure, but it's a niche that divers from not so far could even chew on. The one comment you make that brings out the skeptic in me is: That if what I say is true then why haven't the Friday Harbor charter companies been successful bringing in destination divers? Well not as successful as you would think for such great diving.
"Scuba Like You Love It!"
Let's go diving
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

mattwave wrote:
I don't know a one week circumnav of the San Juans, I could sell some Cali divers on it with a phone call. For much of the Puget Sounders we may not see the allure, but it's a niche that divers from not so far could even chew on. The one comment you make that brings out the skeptic in me is: That if what I say is true then why haven't the Friday Harbor charter companies been successful bringing in destination divers? Well not as successful as you would think for such great diving.
Agreed re both points-

But it will take some heavy marketing, and I just think of liveaboards as something that is a tool to access remote spots. The San Juans, while beautiful, are hardly remote.

I think the reason the Friday Harbor charter companies haven't been successful is that the San Juans are overshadowed by places like the Channel Islands (higher profile, warmer water) or serious cold-water destinations to the north. The San Juans are a tweener, great to have in our backyard, with some spectacular diving, but not something people tend to fly from elsewhere to take part in.

Maybe that changes. I just noticed that the OP wasn't aware of when DEMA or the local NW scuba show is, so I question whether the marketing acumen and combined with destination choice makes this viable.
Fishstiq wrote:
To clarify.........

mattwave
Amphibian

Post by mattwave »

Ahhh Marketing, good call. I wonder if you made it a San Juan / Canal trip with the Knot thrown in there?
It's a bold move no matter how you crack it, but I have much interest in promoting it.
"Scuba Like You Love It!"
Let's go diving
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

Maybe it works then. Invade Canadia while you are at it.

The real fun would be a transit/loop:

Neah Bay, The Knot, a dip up and around the south tip of Vancouver Island, and then up through Georgia Strait and finishing in the San Juans.

Travel at night, dive in the day.
mattwave wrote:Ahhh Marketing, good call. I wonder if you made it a San Juan / Canal trip with the Knot thrown in there?
It's a bold move no matter how you crack it, but I have much interest in promoting it.
Fishstiq wrote:
To clarify.........

Jaksonbrown
Amphibian

Post by Jaksonbrown »

dsteding wrote:
mattwave wrote:
Agreed re both points-

But it will take some heavy marketing, and I just think of liveaboards as something that is a tool to access remote spots. The San Juans, while beautiful, are hardly remote.

I think the reason the Friday Harbor charter companies haven't been successful is that the San Juans are overshadowed by places like the Channel Islands (higher profile, warmer water) or serious cold-water destinations to the north. The San Juans are a tweener, great to have in our backyard, with some spectacular diving, but not something people tend to fly from elsewhere to take part in.

Maybe that changes. I just noticed that the OP wasn't aware of when DEMA or the local NW scuba show is, so I question whether the marketing acumen and combined with destination choice makes this viable.
Ahhhh, sceptics.. I love it....and I wholehartedly welcome your comments.
This is a venture that is based on one thing... Having fun. Period. I am a former chef that has always wanted to own a private classy joint where I could create some exquisite meals for a select few, have some great cigars avail, and some fine scotch or bourbon, or whatever your pleasure may be. I have yet to fulfill that dream,,, Now I have recently fallen in love with our fabulous PNW and all she has to offer including the San Juans, Vancover island and the inside passage, desolation sound,.... and the list goes on an on....
I am retiring from the business world and want to explore what I love. I also love having some great company to share things with......What a better way than to make dreams come true than to put together a luxury ship complete with every amenity one could want.... diving, fishing, whale watching or just cruising the sound enjoying gods miracles....
Im not a hard core lifelong diver,but a newcomer who is passionate... I didnt know what DEMA was, nor do I care, it is irrelevent.. And it really doesnt matter if the boat is busy every week or not.. she will be paid for from day one. Im just a guy who wants to have some fun, create and enjoy some great food, enjoy some good company, and see some amazing things and relax for the last half of my life, rather than continue to waste away behind a desk.......

I invite you all to join me....

Cory-
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

Good, as I think most people that are in the industry would attest, it is really difficult making a living here. If your living has already been made, awesome, more power to you-I wish you all the success.

Why not just be a boat and not sell it as a charter service? If you can pay for it off the bat, be a host, live the good life, keep the headache of the business out of it?

Jaksonbrown wrote:....
I am retiring from the business world and want to explore what I love. I also love having some great company to share things with......What a better way than to make dreams come true than to put together a luxury ship complete with every amenity one could want.... diving, fishing, whale watching or just cruising the sound enjoying gods miracles....
Im not a hard core lifelong diver,but a newcomer who is passionate... I didnt know what DEMA was, nor do I care, it is irrelevent.. And it really doesnt matter if the boat is busy every week or not.. she will be paid for from day one. Im just a guy who wants to have some fun, create and enjoy some great food, enjoy some good company, and see some amazing things and relax for the last half of my life, rather than continue to waste away behind a desk.......

I invite you all to join me....

Cory-
Fishstiq wrote:
To clarify.........