Les Davis 1-31-09 (with video)

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Les Davis 1-31-09 (with video)

Post by mz53480 »

Here's the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87Sn0BQTYIo

My 1st dive at the Les. The topside weather was fantastic. There were a few obstacles to dodge at the entry point, but it was doable. Those stairs are great!
After talking with a few other divers that had came back in, we hit the 1st dive around 11am, 2nd dive around 1:30pm.
Vis at least 20fsw, more in the shallows. Almost an 'aquarium' dive! wooohoo!
Loved the variety of the concrete reef structures. Fun to look in all the little spaces and see different life.
Definately need to know your bouyancy control or you'll stirr it up. There's a big wolf eel under the 'shrine'...didn't see any octos. Lots of lingcods, a few crabs. Enjoyed the simple beauty of all the anenomes, and the 'airplane' structure/artwork....something different.

Great dives and will go back again, hopefully soon.

Happy diving!
MZ
:fish:
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
sheahanmcculla
I've Got Gills

Re: Les Davis 1-31-09 (with video)

Post by sheahanmcculla »

Great video! The viz looks really good. I love your music choices too. If you had a better way for the video lights, your movies would be AWSOME! Sometimes the spot blows the colors to white. Keep then coming I really enjoy them.
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

sheahanmcculla wrote:Great video! The viz looks really good. I love your music choices too. If you had a better way for the video lights, your movies would be AWSOME! Sometimes the spot blows the colors to white. Keep then coming I really enjoy them.
Thanks, I've been experimenting about how to tone down the light. Sometimes to get the right angle or in dark spots it's ok, but it's just too bright on smaller objects when I get up close. Really, I need a light designed for video, but the $ is just too much right now so this'll have to do. Definately, the small fish (name/ID?) got 'washed out', even with trying to use the light at an angle. Maybe an opaque filter to cut down the brightness? Thoughts....?

MZ
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

mz53480 wrote:...
This gave me a chuckle. I just returned from a family trip to HI that, of course, included some diving. The folks there were complaining about the very poor visibility due to the swells and rain. Vis was "down" to 20' or so. Guess it is all a matter of perspective, eh?

By the way, that is a nice video.
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

ArcticDiver wrote:
This gave me a chuckle. I just returned from a family trip to HI that, of course, included some diving. The folks there were complaining about the very poor visibility due to the swells and rain. Vis was "down" to 20' or so. Guess it is all a matter of perspective, eh? By the way, that is a nice video.
Thanks! Definately perspective--If I was used to 50-100 ft vis, I suppose 20ft would suck....
I would really like to do some video in cold-cold waters....like Antartica or the Alaska area. The way it looks right now, Alaska will probably be 1st. Any recommendations on where to start (favorite places)?
MZ
Check out the VIDEOS!
ryanone
Frequent Bubbler

Post by ryanone »

Thanks for the video. And Congratulations on being in a small group of divers who have seen good viz at Les Davis.
:supz:
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

ryanone wrote:Thanks for the video. And Congratulations on being in a small group of divers who have seen good viz at Les Davis.
WHAT?!!! It's not like that all the time? :crybaby:
Check out the VIDEOS!
ryanone
Frequent Bubbler

Post by ryanone »

mz53480 wrote:
ryanone wrote:Thanks for the video. And Congratulations on being in a small group of divers who have seen good viz at Les Davis.
WHAT?!!! It's not like that all the time? :crybaby:
It is if you swim out far enough,,,,,,and go deep enough,,,,,,and stay down long enough. :evil4:
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

mz53480 wrote:
ArcticDiver wrote:
This gave me a chuckle. I just returned from a family trip to HI that, of course, included some diving. The folks there were complaining about the very poor visibility due to the swells and rain. Vis was "down" to 20' or so. Guess it is all a matter of perspective, eh? By the way, that is a nice video.
Thanks! Definately perspective--If I was used to 50-100 ft vis, I suppose 20ft would suck....
I would really like to do some video in cold-cold waters....like Antartica or the Alaska area. The way it looks right now, Alaska will probably be 1st. Any recommendations on where to start (favorite places)?
MZ
Wow, Alaska and Antartica in one sentence. I think they are not nearly the same. Antarctica is COLD. Alaska sea water diving is cold, much like Puget Sound. Of course on Oahu they consider +75F water cold. In the group we had everything from T-shirts and shorts to 5mm semi-dry with hood. Depends on the individual I guess.
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.