Free Fish and Invertebrate ID Classes 10/13-14

This forum is provided for the further edification of our club members seeking to improve their knowledge and diving skills. (recreational diving only)
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Free Fish and Invertebrate ID Classes 10/13-14

Post by nwscubamom »

FREE HOOD CANAL PACIFIC NORTHWEST FISH AND INVERTEBRATE IDENTIFICATION CLASSES OFFERED

Pacific Northwest Fish and Invertebrate Identification classes are being presented free of charge in Belfair, Washington, on Friday, October 13th and Saturday, October 14th, 2006, by the Puget Sound Action Team (PSAT), the Hood Canal Salmon Enhancement Group (HCSEG), and the SeaDoc Society. These classes are designed for SCUBA divers and will also be of interest to others who appreciate our marine ecosystem and would like to know more about the wildlife in the water. The free, adult-level classes prepare divers and snorkelers to conduct Reef Environmental Education Foundation (REEF) marine life identification surveys in the Pacific Northwest. Participants will learn how to identify about 45 fish and 45 invertebrates.

Friday, Oct. 13, 2006
5pm – 9pm Pacific NW Fish ID Class – The Mary Theler Center
Saturday, Oct. 14, 2006
9am – 1pm Pacific NW Invertebrate ID Class – The Mary Theler Center
2pm – 6pm 2 Optional Shore Dives – Sund Rock Marine Reserve ($10 entrance fee for class participants)

Completion of the class quiz plus two dive surveys will qualify attendees as REEF level 2 surveyors. Shore dives will happen at Sund Rock Marine Reserve ($10 entrance fee for class participants) NOTE: This is a change from Twanoh State Park!!! on Saturday and participants need to provide or make arrangements for their own transportation. Please bring a sack dinner or lunch to eat in class, if needed, as Friday’s class will proceed through the dinner hour and those who are going diving on Saturday will travel from classroom to beach.

Janna Nichols, of REEF, :supz: is the instructor for the classes. The REEF Survey Project allows volunteer SCUBA divers and snorkelers to collect and report information on marine fish and invertebrate populations. The data are collected using a fun and easy standardized method, and are housed in a publicly-accessible database on REEF's website (http://www.reef.org). These data are used by a variety of resource agencies and researchers and will complement Hood Canal Salmon Enhancement Group activities. During the class, the Hood Canal Salmon Enhancement Group will share information about the Hood Canal Diver Observation Program and how divers can help monitor marine life in Hood Canal as dissolved oxygen levels change over time.

The classes will be held at the Mary K. Theler Community Center, 22871 N.E. State Rte. 3, in Belfair, Washington. More information is available at: http://www.thelercenter.org or 360-275-4898.

To register for the classes send email including your name, mailing address and phone to Lavonne Hull at lwhull@ucdavis.edu and indicate whether you will attend both sessions or the Fish (Friday) or Invertebrate (Saturday) session only. Please also mention if you are planning on diving, which will help track demand.

The registration deadline is Oct. 12, 2006 and space is available on a first-come first-served basis. More information on the Puget Sound Action Team is available at http://www.psat.wa.gov , on the Hood Canal Diver Observation Program at http://www.hoodcanal.washington.edu and on the SeaDoc Society at http://www.seadocsociety.org

PADI Specialty certifications are available for an additional fee - contact Janna at 360-798-6414 for more info.
Last edited by nwscubamom on Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Wahoo!!! :supz:
:wav:
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

If you're able to make it, this is well worth the trip! You'll learn the buffalo sculpin song and dance too! \:D/ "FISH-O!"
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Zen Diver v1
Aquaphile

Post by Zen Diver v1 »

This is your chance folks, a terrific class, fantastic instructor, fun, fun, fun and all for FREE! It just won't get any better than this.

-Valerie
thelawgoddess
Pelagic

Post by thelawgoddess »

yay; that sounds like fun! =D>

how much for the shore dives, and is air/nitrox included?
also, any recommendations for places to stay nearby friday night?
"Life without passion is life without depth."~J.Hollis
my FLICKR photo sets
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

The shore dives are free, no cost, but you provide all your gear, air, tanks and are responsible for yourself...might be a good idea to arrange for a buddy you like diving with too.

As far as nearby accomodations, Belfair is about 10 miles away from the thriving metropolis of Bremerton, and about 20 miles away from Shelton (near Olympia) so I'm sure you could find something at either place.

There is a small motel in Belfair, I hear too...

Mr. Tom...will I be seeing you at the invertebrate class and dives? Does your WAHOOOOO mean good news?

- Janna :)
Janna Nichols
><((((°>
GillyWeed
Submariner

Post by GillyWeed »

Hi Janna,

I just sent my email to Lavonne.. Thanks for offering the class!

Yea!

Holly :fish:
"Well I, I wont go down by myself, but I'll go down with my friends!"
thelawgoddess
Pelagic

Post by thelawgoddess »

out of curiousty, what is the cost of adding the PADIi cert, and are there any additional requirements?

thanks!
my FLICKR photo sets
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

Cost of the PADI cert add-on is $75 per class. You'll have to choose between either the fish or invert class certification, because there are two dives PER CLASS required, and we're only doing 2 on that Saturday. You can finish up the other one on Sat Oct 28th at Owens beach though if you like.

There is a knowledge review required for the Fish ID class that can be found in the PADI Adventures in Diving book, but no extra coursework for the invertebrate ID class.

And, of course, there's the usual paperwork - medical form, liability release, etc.

Janna Nichols
><((((°>
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Janna - are you doing another one at Owens beach or is that a fish count? After this class, do you know when/where your next one will be? Erica is looking forward to attending one and I enjoyed it enough to come again! FISH-O! FISH-O! FISH-O! FISH-O! FISH-O! FISH-O! FISH-O! Everybody wins!!! \:D/
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

The Owens beach is a critter countin' dive day hosted by Valerie and Georgia, no classes that day. It's also a chance for folks who need their two dives for the PADI cert to get them completed that day.

I do not know of when the next class will be...I know that the SeaDoc Society is going to try to poll the previous attendees of all the classes in the past several years to see if anyone is actually benefitting from the classes and doing surveys for the REEF database because of the classes. So no idea if these will continue or not!!

I know you just like the M&M's!

Janna Nichols
><((((°>
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

nwscubamom wrote:Mr. Tom...will I be seeing you at the invertebrate class and dives? Does your WAHOOOOO mean good news?

Yeah, I'll be there barring some unforseen disaster (I've been dry since my last dive when there was a problem with my dry suit zipper ](*,) It is getting replaced now, and I haven't been in the water since Sept 1st :axe: and, why yes, I AM GOING CRAZY :angryfire: :violent3: thanks for asking! [cue music: "they're coming to take me away, ha ha, they're coming to take me away, ho ho, ha ha, ho ho, he he, etc." ] OK OK, now STOP, BREATHE, THINK, ....Whew, I feel a bit better. Hey I guess my Rescue Diver training is starting to pay off already!)

The Invert ID Cert should be my last cert and I will have finished my Master Scuba Diver. :supz: I'll send my sign up email here in a bit. I'm looking forward to the class and the M & M's!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

I sent my e-mail and plan on going to both classes and diving too!
Thanks Janna! :salute:
luv2scuba
Frequent Bubbler

Post by luv2scuba »

Thank you for the opportunity to attend these classes. I plan on using one for a cert.
I haven't been able to find a buddy for the dives though.
Anyone out there interested?
thelawgoddess
Pelagic

Post by thelawgoddess »

hey luv2scuba, i am signed up for both classes and the dives as well. i'd be happy to be your buddy for the dives if you're still looking for one. :-)
my FLICKR photo sets
luv2scuba
Frequent Bubbler

Post by luv2scuba »

That would be fantastic thelawgoddess. Excellent to have someone to dive with. :)
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

I tell ya, I'm getting excited for this particular set of classes!!! And to top things off, I got an entirely new batch of SCUBA PRIZES in the mail today to use for class....woooo hoooo, you're gonna love these!!!

Now I just need one of those deep-voiced announcer guys to say, "Copper Rockfish? You would be correct! And you've just won yourself a BRAND NEW Squishy Fishie eyeball-popping-outer toy!!"

Janna Nichols
><((((°>
thelawgoddess
Pelagic

Post by thelawgoddess »

this class sounds like it's gonna be a lot of fun. \:D/ i will probably want to get one of the certs that weekend, too. :book:
my FLICKR photo sets
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

nwscubamom wrote:I tell ya, I'm getting excited for this particular set of classes!!! And to top things off, I got an entirely new batch of SCUBA PRIZES in the mail today to use for class....woooo hoooo, you're gonna love these!!!

:bounce: :bounce: Oh, Oh, me too, me too! :bounce: :bounce:
jeff98208
Aquanaut

diving

Post by jeff98208 »

if someone can meet me say at the shoreline fred meyer, i can go and i'll be able to help for the gas. later!

good day!
jeff
:supz:
TAKE only pictures, KILL only time, LEAVE only bubbles!
enigmatic
Avid Diver

Post by enigmatic »

nwscubamom wrote:Cost of the PADI cert add-on is $75 per class. You'll have to choose between either the fish or invert class certification, because there are two dives PER CLASS required, and we're only doing 2 on that Saturday. You can finish up the other one on Sat Oct 28th at Owens beach though if you like.

There is a knowledge review required for the Fish ID class that can be found in the PADI Adventures in Diving book, but no extra coursework for the invertebrate ID class.

And, of course, there's the usual paperwork - medical form, liability release, etc.

Do we need to let you know in advance if we plan to get a cert while we're there? If so I plan to get the invert cert. ooo that rhymes. :supz:
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

Yes you do, because there is a medical form I need to send you ahdead of time that has the possibility of needing your physician's signature, and that's pretty hard to do the day of class! :)

Janna Nichols
><((((°>
Cephlah
Avid Diver

Post by Cephlah »

Woo-Hoo!!! Go_nudi and I are SIGNED UP!! :supz:

I'm really excited about this class...now all I have to do is coerce my coworkers into letting me off early on Friday so we can get out there on time. That'll be the REAL magic trick... :pale:
How lucky we are - we get to see firsthand what most people only see on TV!
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

You will both love this class - it really makes "seeing fish" a whole lot more rewarding and Janna is a great teacher. FISH-O!!! I win! \:D/
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

Cephla and Go_Nudi,

YAY you're in!! Got the info from Lavonne today. We've had GREAT response to the classes...so far I count...um....let's see....about 30 people signed up!!!

And almost 20 of those want to do the dives!

Gonna be a good crowd - I think I'll throw in the BBQ. :)

Janna Nichols
><((((°>