Friday 2/13/09

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
kitsapdiver
Submariner

Friday 2/13/09

Post by kitsapdiver »

Anyone wanna splash friday night? I was thinking South Sound/ Alki/ Hood Canal any of the above.

KD
THE Ohio State University
Go Buckeyes Beat Michigan
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Re: Friday 2/13/09

Post by mz53480 »

kitsapdiver wrote:Anyone wanna splash friday night? I was thinking South Sound/ Alki/ Hood Canal any of the above.

KD
I might be good for a night dive at octopus hole....lemme check the schedule, will get back soon.
MZ
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
kitsapdiver
Submariner

Post by kitsapdiver »

sounds good let me know i'm itching to get in.
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

kitsapdiver wrote:sounds good let me know i'm itching to get in.
Yeah, I'm in for Friday night at Octopus hole.
What time?

MZ
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
kitsapdiver
Submariner

Post by kitsapdiver »

Anytime between 5:30 and 8:00PM Works for me. 5:30 I would be rushing from work 8 is kind of late. So maybe around 6. What works for you. I can be flexible. IF you really need it earlier or later let me know.

KD
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

kitsapdiver wrote:Anytime between 5:30 and 8:00PM Works for me. 5:30 I would be rushing from work 8 is kind of late. So maybe around 6. What works for you. I can be flexible. IF you really need it earlier or later let me know.

KD
Let's do 6:30pm, I'll be in a green nissan pathfinder. I'll PM with my cell#.
See you then, thanks!
MZ
:fish:
Check out the VIDEOS!
kitsapdiver
Submariner

Post by kitsapdiver »

I look forward to Friday night. 6:30. I am there.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

You guys are nuts... Diving on Friday the 13th....... :pale:
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

its either that or sit at home wondering if MURPHY would have come out? I am opting for a thursday dive and not friday, bad voodoo to dive on a 13th and friday, MURPHY always finds his way out.
Maverick

Diving. . . is an active physical form of meditation. It is so silent- You're like a thought.

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR
ANYTHING, BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE
STAIRS.
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Post by pogiguy05 »

So I am guessing that you guys would think it also bad to fly on Friday the 13th? Wife and I are going to Las Vegas this weekend and will fly US Airways. :book:
Jeff Castor
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

No, but I'd wait to gamble until Saturday....
Stu
Aquaphile

Post by Stu »

Nwbrewer wrote:You guys are nuts... Diving on Friday the 13th....... :pale:
paraskavedekatriaphobia?
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Stu wrote:
paraskavedekatriaphobia?
boringjobannoyingpostmania.
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

Nwbrewer wrote:
Stu wrote:
paraskavedekatriaphobia?
boringjobannoyingpostmania.
ibringmychainsawmania
:evil4:
Check out the VIDEOS!
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

We are doin a 2 tanker at Sund rock tomarrow.
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

Dusty2 wrote:We are doin a 2 tanker at Sund rock tomarrow.
What time?
Check out the VIDEOS!
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

We are meeting at 11:30
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

Dusty2 wrote:We are meeting at 11:30
Sorry, I won't be able to make it that early. Gotta work. :vom:
Hope it's a good one!

MZ
Check out the VIDEOS!
kitsapdiver
Submariner

Post by kitsapdiver »

I'm still excited about the dive. I got two tanks ready to go. It should be a good dive.
See ya there.
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

kitsapdiver wrote:I'm still excited about the dive. I got two tanks ready to go. It should be a good dive.
See ya there.
Oh yeah, totally! :bounce:
I'll bet we see a gang of octos...and usually there's a huge wolf eel too so hope to see him. Maybe we can persuade him to come out a bit and get a munchie....I'll grab a crab on the way out for him.....see ya at 6:30!
MZ
Check out the VIDEOS!
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

mz53480 wrote:
kitsapdiver wrote:I'm still excited about the dive. Maybe we can persuade him to come out a bit and get a munchie....I'll grab a crab on the way out for him.....see ya at 6:30!
MZ
FIY watch what you say, We have lots of people who could take offense at that!
kitsapdiver
Submariner

Post by kitsapdiver »

It was a friday the 13th dive getting in the water. I had trouble with a regulator before getting in but once we were in It was a good 63 minute dive. It was certainly one of my more unorganized dives I usually have my gear ready to go when I get to the dive site. OH well. You live you learn you do better next time.
kitsapdiver
Submariner

Post by kitsapdiver »

Alrighty i had to make my last post pretty quickly because I was getting ready to head out of town for the long weekend but now that I'm back I'll post a little dive report.

We arrived about 6:30. I was a little late because I had never dove Octopus Hole before and pulled up to the wrong area, but was able to call MZ figure out where I should have been and met him at 6:40. Usually I would have all my gear put together and in the bed of my truck ready to throw on but since I was coming straight from work it was actually in the cab of the struck and not assembled yet. So I got the gear out and instead of assembling it in the bed of the truck like I normally would I tried to assemble it in front of the truck which was worked fine, but now instead of using the truck bed to gear up I tried using a post on the guard rail, and that required a little more help from the dive buddy to stabalize my big LP 108.

Once we did get everything together and down to the divesite we waded through the water at high tide to the banana tree. When we got there I realized that my right post wasn't turned on (H-valve) and when MZ went to turn it on air started leaking at a pretty good rate. We made sure the DIN Adjustment was good and still had the problem so we waded back to the entry locatio where I had to run up to the box and and grab an alan wrench. The DIN connector had come loose, which was really embarassing because I had been the last one to rebuild the regulators.

Finally we wade back out to the banana tree and drop to begin the dive. We descend and the dive goes great for about 20 minutes when I go to check my air, I reach down to unclip my spg from the harness and it's not there. I lean hard to the left expecting the spg to sink below me and it wasn't there. So I began to think that the hose was wrapped around a harness strap or something. SO I had to call over MZ to take a look for the hose he found it I still had 2000 PSI left. The rest of the dive went smooth but as you can see up to this point I was starting to wonder if Friday the 13th was haunting me.

On the dive though we saw at least 5 Octopus, some sea urchins, a ling cod with eggs, the typical anemonies and sea starts. It was my first dive at Octopus Hole and thought it may be my favorite dive spot so far in the PNW. It certianly makes me wonder why I spent years diving quarries in Ohio. We ended up logging a dive of 63 minutes with a max depth of 56 feet. Visibility was about 30 feet below 25 feet and less than 10 above 25 feet. It was almost as if there was a thermocline.