Awaiting Delivery!

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Awaiting Delivery!

Post by Pez7378 »

Tomorrow, Santa will be dropping by to deliver my DSS Torus 35 singles rig with SS BP and Hog harness!! \:D/

In the winter he drives a sleigh, the rest of the year he drives a little brown van. I CAN'T WAIT!! :bounce:

is it HERE yet? :bounce:

Maybe if I go to bed early tomorrow will come sooner?
thelawgoddess
Pelagic

Post by thelawgoddess »

getting mail is pretty cool. especially boxes containing gear. those are the best. i find myself checking the delivery status on incoming packages over and over again. then i get mad when something i ordered from the midwest is sitting in new jersey. just because i didn't want to pay twice as much. i don't see how that's economical at all. but anyway ... lucky you! let us know how you like it! you have a dive planned for it for tomorrow already? :evil4:
"Life without passion is life without depth."~J.Hollis
my FLICKR photo sets
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

thelawgoddess wrote: i find myself checking the delivery status on incoming packages over and over again. let us know how you like it! you have a dive planned for it for tomorrow already? :evil4:
I'm the same way. I've checked the status several times already and it's still in transit! #-o I haven't made any solid plans to dive tomorrow, maybe Saturday. My Buddy Joe lets me use his extra gear and is taking his AOW with BDUB. Maybe after he's done, and I'm off work we can meet at the cove. I'll keep everyone posted. I hope I can get at least one dive in 'cause after Sat. I'm out of the water for a week.
thelawgoddess
Pelagic

Post by thelawgoddess »

i hear you on next week. i'll be stuck in california, working ... with no possibility of diving. :-(
"Life without passion is life without depth."~J.Hollis
my FLICKR photo sets
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

Pez7378 wrote: I hope I can get at least one dive in 'cause after Sat. I'm out of the water for a week.
Chris, you got my digits, call me if you want to shoehorn a dive in on Saturday-maybe even Edmonds or someplace up to the north because I'll have to get some fills at NWSD beforehand.

We can put blindfolds on and see if we can navigate a pattern in 20 feet of water . . .
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

You got it Doug. I'll have a better fix on things sometime tomorrow. If I dive Sat. it will have to be late afternoon, early evening.
sparky
I've Got Gills

Re: Awaiting Delivery!

Post by sparky »

Pez7378 wrote:Tomorrow, Santa will be dropping by to deliver my DSS Torus 35 singles rig with SS BP and Hog harness!! \:D/

In the winter he drives a sleigh, the rest of the year he drives a little brown van. I CAN'T WAIT!! :bounce:

Maybe if I go to bed early tomorrow will come sooner?

Now thats funny I wish I would have thought of it

I have a hard time when I order some thing to
I some times think when I log in to the tracking site the server on the other end thinks not this nut againe I just told him 5 minutes a go it was in transit.

make sure you post a review of the gear for us.

hope you enjoy your new gear

Sprky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
Learns from the mistakes of those that have gone before him
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Re: Awaiting Delivery!

Post by Pez7378 »

sparky wrote:
Now thats funny I wish I would have thought of it

I have a hard time when I order some thing to
I some times think when I log in to the tracking site the server on the other end thinks not this nut againe I just told him 5 minutes a go it was in transit.

make sure you post a review of the gear for us.

hope you enjoy your new gear

Sprky
I'm so excited I can't sleep. Man! I need to grow up. Just checked the tracking and it's in SEATTLE!!!! Just a few more hours. LOL
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Pez - I have the Torus 35 and SSBP (with 8# plate weights). :bounce: You'll love the wing. Grateful Diver dove a prototype for DSS and let me put a dive on it... one of my first dives and my buoyancy looked and felt like a pro even despite a spinning weight belt. Sold. I like how it has more lift at the hips, is extremely streamlined, and has the deflate hose in the middle at the top (instead of towards the left side).

He also makes it in purple on special request - Mrs. Sounder thought about it but decided it wouldn't match her new blue & gray regs. :dontknow:
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

"OHHHH the weather outside is frightful, but the fire is so delightful, but as long as you hold me so, let it snow, let it snow, let it snow"

"Jingle Bells, Jingle Bells, Jingle all the way...."

"Silent Night, Holy Night..."

\:D/ Just trying to help get in the Christmas Spirit here... \:D/

Now, where is that Santa diving emoticon?!?!
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

It IS beginning to look a lot like Christmas! Cold, clouds, rain, snow... GREAT VIS!!! \:D/
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

Sounder wrote:It IS beginning to look a lot like Christmas! Cold, clouds, rain, snow... GREAT VIS!!! \:D/
Chris-let us know when it shows up! I'm now getting excited for you, the torus sounds like a great rig . . .

Speaking of improving viz, having starting diving around here last March (my first dive was in pea soup, the second was worse), I now have some thing to look forward to in the winter in Seattle . . . clearer water. The sun may disappear for a while, but at least the viz will be good.
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

It's HERE! I just spent the last hour and half or so figuring it out and putting it all together. I love stuff I can put together! I am a little hesitant to cut the excess off of the harness though LOL.

Sounder, how do you like the weight plates? I was thinking about ordering them too but decided to wait. I have no idea how this will change my weighting. I actually called Bob and quizzed him on the DSS rigs and he helped me with my decision. One thing about the rig, does the wing just attach to the BP with those little rubber thingies? Seems like there should be bolts or something, but the only place to put one is on the bottom. The inflator hose seems a little short too but I'm sure I'll figure that out. It seems like I heard Doug and Bob talking about that once.

Doug, I may want to hook up for a dive tomorrow. Evening? What time does NWSD close? I would need to rent a tank, regs and weights. What do you think?
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

Awesome Pez...Nuthin like Xmas in September!

Getting a proper fit in the harness is an art. Typically divers fit the harness too tight. Remember, the waist strap and crotch strap are what really hold it in place. Don't be too quick to cut off the slack as you may find you need to loosen it, but then again, it only costs $15 for a new harness!

You'll find yourself making minor (or sometimes major!) adjustments over the next 10 dives or so.

Congrats and have fun!

B
http://www.frogkickdiving.com/

"It's a lot easier when you're not doing it" - CaseyB449

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

Pez7378 wrote: Doug, I may want to hook up for a dive tomorrow. Evening? What time does NWSD close? I would need to rent a tank, regs and weights. What do you think?
BDub is right, it will take a while to get adjusted.

Let's go mess around at Edmonds, I've been wanting to explore that place. We could do the evening-I have a tank you can use, and maybe regs if hoses have come in at NWSD . . . I just need some hoses and an SPG for my Salvos to get them back in action. If not, I bet they have rentals . . .

NWSD closes at 7, how about a 5:00 meet time at NWSD and we'll go from there . . . I'll show up a bit earlier to get the fills.

I'll email you my phone number in case you don't have it.
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

Perfect Doug! I got your email and I'll call you tomorrow when I get done with training. Should be around 1:30 or 2:00 pm.

Thanks BDub. I spoke to Joe (Lutovsky) tonight. Sounds like he can't make his class tomorrow. Looks like his job is making him work OT on his day off. That sucks!! I hope there is some way he can work things out with you and make up the dive.
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

Pez7378 wrote:I spoke to Joe (Lutovsky) tonight. Sounds like he can't make his class tomorrow. Looks like his job is making him work OT on his day off. That sucks!! I hope there is some way he can work things out with you and make up the dive.
The nice thing about diving is there's always tomorrow. We'll get out...

In the meantime, enjoy your new gear!

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Hey Pez - on the weight plates... First, I am extremely new so please take what I say with a HUGE grain of salt. I love them - it adds 8# which still leaves enough on my belt to ditch but helps to spread the weight out. When I was borrowing an aluminum BP and wearing everything on my belt, my hips started to hurt and the belt spun... I'm positive my ignorance and inexperience had much more to do with that than the equipment did, but I ended up ordering the DUI Weight & Trim as a result along with the weight plates.

On attaching the wing to the BP, yes - it just sits there with those two rubber tabs. What really holds it there is the tank and the tank straps. What I like most about that is that the tank is that much closer to your back which helps keep a newb like me more steady in the water. In addition, I haven't had any "flopping" or "rolling" of the tank as I swam. The two little rubber nubs can be put in the upper or lower holes on the BP too to further adjust your trim.

Not having dives many wings (halycon in OW class and a dive rite wing borrowed afterward) I didn't have much to compare it to. What I did find though was that when I got in the water for the first time with the Torus proto-type, I looked and felt like a champ. The Torus 35 just really helped me feel comfortable and enjoy the dive... because isn't that really what it's all about?

If you'd like to see the plate weights, I'd be happy to meet up with you or have you over. I think they're great, and you're welcome to borrow one of my weighted BP's (my wife and I each have them) for a dive too. I'm on the Eastside - PM me to set it up.
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

Well, tonight was a good example of why we should always do bubble checks . . .

After getting fills at NWSD, Chris and I met up at Edmonds. We cobbled together regs for Chris using my backup Salvos and his older console as instruments. After getting the new BP/W fitted we hit the water about 6:30 for an evening dive.

I learned with a friend to do bubble checks in the shallows-we made the mistake of swimming out to the end of the jetty only to find that my first stage was leaking a couple months back . . . had to swim back in to get it taken care of.

Chris gives me a check, then I go to check Chris. The HP hose on his console is literally about to fall apart . . . bubbles everywhere and getting worse as I watched. Small, chapagne bubbles, but all down the hose. Needless to say, the dive was over, as after watching his SPG for a few minutes we could see it going down . . .

My guess is that thing was maybe 20 minutes from completely falling apart, and it would have been a nice, spectacular failure at depth.

Oh, and viz in the shallows looked pretty damn good . . ..
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

D-

That's what you get for not having Dan do it for you #-o

Seriously, sorry to hear you guys weren't able to get out, but kudos to both of you for recognizing the problem and for having the discipline to call the dive.

dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

BDub wrote:D-

That's what you get for not having Dan do it for you #-o

Seriously, sorry to hear you guys weren't able to get out, but kudos to both of you for recognizing the problem and for having the discipline to call the dive.
Dan does everything from here on out . . .

I must admit, it was painful to call it, but it was about the only thing to be done.

Water seemed crystal clear in the shallows . . . did I mention that?

I've put out some calls, hopefully I can find a dive buddy for tomorrow, it always sucks to not get your fix in.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Perhaps it's time for you to start putting together a save-a-dive kit ... reg hoses are an easy field repair if you have a spare hose ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

Grateful Diver wrote:Perhaps it's time for you to start putting together a save-a-dive kit ... reg hoses are an easy field repair if you have a spare hose ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
A good point, I've been putting together a save-a-dive kit that has the basics in it, but it needs to be built up.

I had an extra HP hose, but the SPG in Chris's console was a bit funky and wouldn't fit the hose without an o-ring that I didn't have . . .

We almost salvaged the dive, but then ran into the o-ring issue, and it was getting late at that point, so we ended up calling it.