peaceful civil disobedience

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
BigFameOne
Compulsive Diver

Re: peaceful civil disobedience

Post by BigFameOne »

defied wrote:After reading the first part of this thread, I began envisoning Divers standing outside of town hall, wet/drysuits glistening wet in the light of torches, yelling, and raging, and throwing fins and Aqua sox at anyone who neysay'd them.

D(B)
If you finish the thread you'll know we are also going to be $#!+ housed.
"Cave is cave. Tech is when you can't get out when you want to."-LCF
Diver_C
Amphibian

Post by Diver_C »

Thanks Mav & NWBrewer! :)
Maverick wrote:
Diver_C wrote:So... I've been enjoying a Hales' Mongoose IPA tonight. The label boasts it being dry hopped. Not sure what that means, except maybe there is wet hopped IPA? Anyway, it's a pretty good beer, made in Ballard, and it's on sale! I'd recommend it. Next time we have a dive-bbq-n-beer, I might have to bring some, and have one more before going to bed. :partyman:
Dry hopped means that the hops are added after the wort is made from the mash in whole grain brewing. it means the hopps were added to the primary fermentation and never boiled or cooked. then they are removed for the secondary fermentation.
Nwbrewer wrote:Close Mav. The hops are actually added to the secondary fermentation. If you add the dryhops to the primary fermentation the CO2 bubbling off strips the alpha acids from the wort, and breaks down the hop oils, and doesn't have as nice of an effect as dry hopping in the secondary. First wort hopping also makes a very good beer, where you actually add hops to the mash. (grains).
Diver_C
Amphibian

Post by Diver_C »

Yeah... cited for drinking home brew in public (at the public civil disobedience), and then being so drunk forgetting what the point of the gathering was, but enjoying ourselves nonetheless! :partyman:
BigFameOne wrote:
defied wrote:After reading the first part of this thread, I began envisoning Divers standing outside of town hall, wet/drysuits glistening wet in the light of torches, yelling, and raging, and throwing fins and Aqua sox at anyone who neysay'd them.

D(B)
If you finish the thread you'll know we are also going to be $#!+ housed.
bigsky
Dive-aholic

Post by bigsky »

http://www.ci.mukilteo.wa.us/files/cc-2008-08-04.pdf

the city council minutes, pg 5 second half of section 7
near the end
"Ms. Berner noted
that there is now a permit process for scuba diving at the Community Beach Park and
that staff would work on signage to notify users of the permit requirement."

maybe the "permit requirement" is a fancy way of saying "charge them"
day users can go to any park
but divers are sort of trapped

the city council
Richard Emery - Councilmember remery@ci.mukilteo.wa.us
Linda Grafer - Councilmember lgrafer@ci.mukilteo.wa.us
Jennifer Gregerson - Councilmember jgregerson@ci.mukilteo.wa.us
Randy Lord - Council President rlord@ci.mukilteo.wa.us
Kevin Stoltz - Council Vice President kstoltz@ci.mukilteo.wa.us
Tony Tinsley - Councilmember ttinsley@ci.mukilteo.wa.us
Emily Vanderwielen - Councilmember evanderwielen@ci.mukilteo.wa.us

the mayor
jmarine@ci.mukilteo.wa.us
i know the difference between right and wrong
wrong is usually the fun one
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

What an interesting thing ... they had to revoke the ordinance against carrying firearms in a City park because it was "unenforceable" ... but it's OK to make scuba diving illegal.

Somebody needs to re-examine their priorities.

But as for "peaceful civil disobedience", one must always keep in mind that it's a two-edged sword ... and the result of such actions may be less than what you desired.

Besides turning the issue into a confrontation, what message would it send if only a handful of divers showed up ... or if one of those divers decided to take it upon himself to make the event "not peaceful"?

Maybe a better idea would be to contact TIm Eyman and see if he wants to start an initiative ... he's a Mukilteo resident, after all ... (just kidding, that would probably not be a very good idea at all).

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
rjw
Aquanaut

Post by rjw »

bigsky wrote:http://www.ci.mukilteo.wa.us/files/cc-2008-08-04.pdf

the city council minutes, pg 5 second half of section 7
near the end
"Ms. Berner noted
that there is now a permit process for scuba diving at the Community Beach Park and
that staff would work on signage to notify users of the permit requirement."

maybe the "permit requirement" is a fancy way of saying "charge them"
day users can go to any park
but divers are sort of trapped

the city council
Richard Emery - Councilmember remery@ci.mukilteo.wa.us
Linda Grafer - Councilmember lgrafer@ci.mukilteo.wa.us
Jennifer Gregerson - Councilmember jgregerson@ci.mukilteo.wa.us
Randy Lord - Council President rlord@ci.mukilteo.wa.us
Kevin Stoltz - Council Vice President kstoltz@ci.mukilteo.wa.us
Tony Tinsley - Councilmember ttinsley@ci.mukilteo.wa.us
Emily Vanderwielen - Councilmember evanderwielen@ci.mukilteo.wa.us

the mayor
jmarine@ci.mukilteo.wa.us
This just keeps getting better.
Now they want to prohibit diving at Lighthouse Park and charge to use a Community Beach access? WTF :angryfire:
So much for letting sleeping dogs lie.
No amount of Helium can make a dumbass smart. - Chatterton
FOTTF
Life's been good to me so far
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

I wonder if the "permitting" through the Sheriffs department is actually a City Lawsuit CYA, as in "You must be a certified diver to dive these waters so we don't get sued if you have a mishap, and law enforcement can now check these permits for validity."

D(B)
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

rjw wrote:This just keeps getting better.
Now they want to prohibit diving at Lighthouse Park and charge to use a Community Beach access? WTF :angryfire:
So much for letting sleeping dogs lie.
According to the "new" city park rules, revised August of '08, Rule #26 Scuba diving at the Community Park is:

Prohibited EXCEPT for the Mukilteo Community park at 796 Front street (Silver Cloud) (Special event permit must be obtained for commercial/organizations holding trainings or events at this location)

I don't interpret this as saying that diving will be prohibited at that site, however, I am not an organization conducting training there.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

I have feeling that the permit rule may be to apply to classes being held there to avoid the weekend pile-o-divers next to the Silver Cloud, who I'm sure appreciates the divers showing up and getting geared up loudly at 7:00am.

Or it's a money grab. In all honesty if there were a $20 yearly permit required that went to pay for a shower and a toilet, I'd probably pay it. I doubt that'd ever happen though.
rjw
Aquanaut

Post by rjw »

Nwbrewer wrote:I have feeling that the permit rule may be to apply to classes being held there to avoid the weekend pile-o-divers next to the Silver Cloud, who I'm sure appreciates the divers showing up and getting geared up loudly at 7:00am.

Or it's a money grab. In all honesty if there were a $20 yearly permit required that went to pay for a shower and a toilet, I'd probably pay it. I doubt that'd ever happen though.
My vote is option #2. Money grab.
No amount of Helium can make a dumbass smart. - Chatterton
FOTTF
Life's been good to me so far