Pt Hudson jetty, Port Townsend

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Biodiversity_Guy
Extreme Diving Machine

Pt Hudson jetty, Port Townsend

Post by Biodiversity_Guy »

I had a great dive today with Dusty2 up in Port Townsend.

Our first two fish encountered were both special. The first was a fun sculpin that I am waiting to see the pictures of to confirm, but while we were looking at it, on the same rock was a nice sized silver spotted sculpin that gave us some great looks and I think Dusty got some clear photos. Excellent way to start a critter dive!

Dusty let me try his nite rider Blackwater 3000 head light. What a well made piece of equipment. I am finding a need for a good headlight when I am doing night surveys (hard to hold the slate, use the pencil and position the light at the same time) and just to always have the light pointed at what one is looking at....more "needed safety" gear (I can hear my wife groaning in the background at this)!!!

As far as vis, it was acceptable. Fine particulates kept the vis down below 25, but very do-able.

He also pointed out my first "salt and pepper" nudibranch, egg laying Shaggy mouse nudi's and lots of other species.

That is such a nice dive site.

It was also the first time I dove there that I felt the current in a significant way. We got a bit of a late start. I can see that this is a very current sensitive site. It felt like the current was pulling down as well as out...glad it was a reasonable velocity.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Re: Pt Hudson jetty, Port Townsend

Post by Dusty2 »

It was a great dive and I want to thank Biodiversity_Guy for pointing out that first sculpin. When I started shooting I noticed something strange protruding from the kelp next to him and when I looked inside there was a cute young Silver spotted Sculpin inside. I did get a couple of pix of him but they aren't steller. They will have to wait til I get home tomarrow to post as I am on a sloooow connection up here and can't do photos.

Thanks for comming up and sharing my favorite site. It's always fun to show someone around when they are just as interested as I am in the critters.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Re: Pt Hudson jetty, Port Townsend

Post by Dusty2 »

Pictures posted on the critter forum