SharkWater Movie

General banter about diving and why we love it.
HydroGirl
Avid Diver

SharkWater Movie

Post by HydroGirl »

I just watched this DVD and I am very angry. Unfortunately, I’m not sure what to do or how to help. My first reaction was to never spend my scuba money/tourist cash in Costa Rica or Ecuador, but I am not sure this approach would have any serious impact. This movie has been out for a while and some of you may have seen it already but, if not, please make a point to watch it. It is highly educational and hopefully will make you want to take action too! (I will caution you though, if you have little ones at home it’s not really suitable for family viewing.)

To find out more about the movie, this is the website to check out: http://www.sharkwater.com
Sandra
OreCoastDiver
Avid Diver

Re: SharkWater Movie

Post by OreCoastDiver »

Thanks for the tip. Went right to Netflix and put it at the top of my queue.
Brandon
Compression is good for the soul.
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

It has been in my Netflix wishlist for a year (they didn't have it available until just weeks ago). It's finally available and as a matter of fact it's next up in my queue too.

-Ben
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I bought the book at Christmas for Peter, and I read it (and he didn't . . . ). I've been watching for the movie; thanks for the heads up that it's out. Maybe I can get Peter to watch it.

Withholding money from the countries that are committing the offenses won't help; it's the lack of any economic opportunities there that causes people to do these things. When common folk live in corrugated sheet metal huts with no running water, and don't have enough to eat, the death of sharks doesn't loom large on their horizon. Instead, we should ALL go travel in those places, until, like some sites in the Philippines, they realize there is more money to be made preserving sharks for us to swim with than there is killing them.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
mattwave
Amphibian

Post by mattwave »

Finally watched this movie, if you have not seen it yet, please do, you are welcome to borrow my copy.
"Scuba Like You Love It!"
Let's go diving
BigFameOne
Compulsive Diver

Post by BigFameOne »

Matt, can I borrow it Fri when I stop by?
"Cave is cave. Tech is when you can't get out when you want to."-LCF
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

that movie made me angry, too. i won't eat in restaurants that serve shark's fin soup.
BigFameOne
Compulsive Diver

Post by BigFameOne »

Thanks Matthew, Sean handed it over safely.
Scuba Jon
Just Settling In

Post by Scuba Jon »

If you get excited about sharks (Which I do) then you need to checkout the Shark Diver Magazine website (www.sharkdivermag.com). It is geared towards dedemonizing (Is that a word?) and preserving the sharks we have left. I have been on a couple of the shark diving trips they offer the latest one diving with lemon & tiger sharks in the Bahamas last December. A few issues back there was an interview with the guy who made/filmed the Shark Water movie. I have been watching for it since then so it is good to hear it has finally been released. I'll have to go see if I can find it.
Also, speaking of the tiger sharks in the Bahamas, if any are interested, tonight (2/26/09)at Overlake Round table Pizza we will be showing video and photos from the December trip. It is a general meeting of the Boeing Sea Horse Dive Club but any who want can attend. We are meeting at 6 and the photo/video presentation starts at 7.

I know, too much rambling. I'll stop now.

Randy P
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

Scuba Jon wrote:If you get excited about sharks (Which I do) then you need to checkout the Shark Diver Magazine website (http://www.sharkdivermag.com). It is geared towards dedemonizing (Is that a word?) and preserving the sharks we have left. I have been on a couple of the shark diving trips they offer the latest one diving with lemon & tiger sharks in the Bahamas last December. A few issues back there was an interview with the guy who made/filmed the Shark Water movie. I have been watching for it since then so it is good to hear it has finally been released. I'll have to go see if I can find it.
Also, speaking of the tiger sharks in the Bahamas, if any are interested, tonight (2/26/09)at Overlake Round table Pizza we will be showing video and photos from the December trip. It is a general meeting of the Boeing Sea Horse Dive Club but any who want can attend. We are meeting at 6 and the photo/video presentation starts at 7.

I know, too much rambling. I'll stop now.

Randy P
Welcome to NWDC Randy! =D>
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

thanks for the info, randy. the mag looks interesting, and their movie, too.

here's the trailer:
http://www.summerofthesharks.com/trailer.html
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

Should have my Netflix copy on Friday. Thanks for the info!

D(B)
Scuba Jon
Just Settling In

Post by Scuba Jon »

spatman wrote:thanks for the info, randy. the mag looks interesting, and their movie, too.

here's the trailer:
http://www.summerofthesharks.com/trailer.html
I got to see their (SDM) movie while on the boat in the Bahamas. It is awesome! Eli & Paul (editor & photographer for Shark Diver Magazine) were on board with us. They are both a hoot!

Randy
BigFameOne
Compulsive Diver

Post by BigFameOne »

Just finished this movie, like the credits are still rolling now...

AMAZING. The footage is brilliant, and beautiful at times, sad, and disgusting at times.

As someone who grew up obsessed with the myth of the evil, cold eyed, killer from the deep it was good to see hos advanced sharks are, how shy they are, and how badly they need our help.

Soda machines kill more people per year than sharks, as do lions, tigers, and elephants. We have cut the shark population by 90% and yet the world as a whole sees shark finning as a non-issue? The argument posed by some of the hunters filmed is that they are protecting us from these monsters, doing us a service YET they hunt Whale Sharks too? I'll be bringing Matthew his copy back, and would suggest anyone that can see this should see this.