am i just a dork? bb question

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
kat
Extreme Diving Machine

am i just a dork? bb question

Post by kat »

i can't seem to stay logged in. i wander away for a while, and i am off again. is this just me? is there a new idle kick off? gremlins? solar flares? a mispushed button?
thank you,
kat
"As long as you get everything tucked into your pants, you are good to go." -wasp7000
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Re: am i just a dork? bb question

Post by Joshua Smith »

I have no idea- I stay logged in, even when I wander off for an hour or three. Anyone else have this problem?
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Post by DiverDown »

Joshua Smith wrote:I have no idea- I stay logged in, even when I wander off for an hour or three. Anyone else have this problem?
The sever at work usually kicks me off after 30 mins or so. After inactive use, but I never save my automatic password on the work computer....
Who run barter town?
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

I most often get kicked off. Sometimes it even happens while I'm on the site. I go to reply, go back and have to log in again. Doesn't happen every time, but may 25% of the time.

-Valerie
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

that's weird that you both get logged out. i doubt it's a function of the site. what browser are you guys using?
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

seems to happen regardless of which I use, but with slightly less regularity with IE
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Hmm no reason that should be happening unless your computer signs you out of your profile after a while. What keeps you signed and allows you to go to the site and automatically be signed in are cookies..so I'm perplexed.
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

Me too. I just log back in if I get kicked out, it's a minor issue in the grand scheme of things (and I know I've had a history of weird minor computer glitches here).
kat
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by kat »

firefox always, i don't have the auto cookie removal setup on the laptop, so it shouldn't be that. it was doing it yesterday and today, but not in the last couple of hours. must have been a space monkey.
"As long as you get everything tucked into your pants, you are good to go." -wasp7000
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

MS IE

Stay logged in no matter what. Sometimes, while I'm doing other things I forget I've got this site open and it just clicks merrily along.

I've just started using my BB on the site and it seems to stay on also.

What I do get occasionally is the "Web Page Expired" when I use the Back Arrow.
Last edited by ArcticDiver on Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

kat wrote: must have been a space monkey.
yeah, there's been a space monkey infestation here in portland lately. i think they originally came for the organic produce, but now stay for the local beer. i try to tell them that washington beers are better so they'll leave and set up camp at josh smith's house. but these monkeys are smart and know that oregon beers are superior, so they're staying put.
Kalatin
Dive-aholic

Post by Kalatin »

My work computer will log me off if I leave it unattended. My home computer will let me stayed logged on for as long as I want. I run FF on both, so I figured it was a function of some weird spy program work runs on my computer. :dontknow:
"Another marathon, rush hour trek to foolishly compress myself and risk bodily harm and/or death to look at fishies!!! I love it!" - Casey B.
"The circle of life is a bitch when you're hungry." - Sockmonkey
DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Post by DiverDown »

spatman wrote:that's weird that you both get logged out. i doubt it's a function of the site. what browser are you guys using?

I purposely dont click the "remember me" button at work. Just so my coworkers cant post under my name. That way no one can refresh the page when Im not around. Its a comunity computor so best not to save any passwords..
Who run barter town?
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

spatman wrote:
kat wrote: must have been a space monkey.
yeah, there's been a space monkey infestation here in portland lately. i think they originally came for the organic produce, but now stay for the local beer. i try to tell them that washington beers are better so they'll leave and set up camp at josh smith's house. but these monkeys are smart and know that oregon beers are superior, so they're staying put.
More Monkeys?!?! Those things are dangerous!! and Smart.

Now spatman, if you'd be so kind as to quit monkeying around, and fix her problem, I can get back to my chores. [-X
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Firefox at home does it, at work it doesn't. :dontknow:

I think it actually has to do with how firefox and XP works with my wireless router. Kat are you running it hard wired or wireless?
lurch
Compulsive Diver

Post by lurch »

I get kicked off. Firefox at home on an XPsp3 machine. I don't have it set to remember cookies or passwords. If I'm inactive for longer than (this is a guess) 20 minutes I'm kicked off and have to re-log-in if I want to post.
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

So the big thing is enabling cookies, and clicking the remember me button. That should do the trick.

Firewalls at work generally don't have control over ending sessions that are cookie controlled, however if you are being natted through more than one public facing IP address, the forum may notice the source IP address as changed, and require you to re log in (I don't think this is the case though, as I stay logged in from work and home, no matter what, so I firmly believe it's cookie based, not user authentication/SIP based.

My $0.02

D(B)
kat
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by kat »

wireless setup. im not sure about the wired computer, but they are all on the same router.

hahaha...WHOOSH!!!!

RUN AWAY!!!!
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

kat wrote:hahaha...WHOOSH!!!!

RUN AWAY!!!!
you have a cape, too!?
kat
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by kat »

and a mask :laughing3:
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

kat wrote:and a mask :laughing3:
i have a mask. and a black suit. i'm spatman.
BigFameOne
Compulsive Diver

Post by BigFameOne »

Don't make me break out the picture again, I am a damn super hero, I got the suit.
"Cave is cave. Tech is when you can't get out when you want to."-LCF
oregondiver
Submariner

Post by oregondiver »

spatman wrote:
but I saw you wearing a tiara once. Do superheros wear tiaras?
Discussing the Whites Fusion: "Looks like you are wearing a startrek leotard with bunched-up undies..." -Airsix

"fins are like shoes....you can never have enough pairs." -Lizard0924
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

oregondiver wrote:
spatman wrote:
but I saw you wearing a tiara once. Do superheros wear tiaras?
on special occasions, yes. yes, we do.