Mukilteo Lighthouse Park - NO diving?

General banter about diving and why we love it.
smike
Extreme Diving Machine

Re: Mukilteo Lighthouse Park - NO diving?

Post by smike »

90% chance I will be there. I will have a short speech ready, I talked to Ben McGeever, who I am consulting for on other issues, and he said it was fine if I represent Dive-Xtras.

I am not planning on talking, but will have something ready just in case.

I was planning to talk about:

1.) Dive-Xtras has historically used the park beach for training and product testing, and the August '08 rules would therefore negatively impact this Mukilteo based business'. The park has unique currents and topology that are important to have access to.

2.) There are already rules that divers are to follow in situations that the city is apparently concerned about.
- float a flag bouy
- stay away from the boat launch
The city can help divers by placing signs up that remind divers and swimmers to fly diving flags and to stay certain distance from the boat launch. There could also be an informational sign near the boat launch that reminds boaters of the dive flags significance. Likely the dive community would assist in making and placing these signs. These signs should be approximately the same cost as the ones that would need to be posted to notify the public of the August '08 rule updates.

3.) If the city is determined to rule this way for divers, the same rules should also apply for other swimmers, because they run even greater risks, because of lack of training and lack of exposure suits, flotation etc. that divers inherently possess.

I am putting this here for comment. I am open to criticism (prefer PM), and will not speak unless it seems important at the meeting.
Behold, the King reigns! You are his publicity agents. Therefore advertise, advertise, advertise, the King and his kingdom.
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Hmmmm.....we were hoping that someone from Dive Xtras would be there to speak since they are an actual business within Mukilteo that is negatively impacted by this decision. If Ben won't be there, I would personally like to urge you to speak - nothing quite gets a City Council's attention like negatively impacting a successful hometown business.

Thanks in advance!

John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
smike
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by smike »

I will likely talk in behalf of Dive-xtras.

I would hope someone else will make this succinct point:

If there are real concerns that the city has about divers that are not already covered by existing law for scuba divers (and we had all better be able to recite them), then, we as divers are desiring to address the cities concerns as a dive community, and, we are eager to meet the concerns of the city to retain this diving resource.
Behold, the King reigns! You are his publicity agents. Therefore advertise, advertise, advertise, the King and his kingdom.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

That I agree with. It's all about alleviating the city's concerns, however, I see no point in adding anything to the list of things for them to be concerned about. Doing so may be counterproductive. :violent1:
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I will be there. No intention of speaking, but I'll wear my $1800 T-shirt :-)
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

Just in case anyone needs to know where to go for the meeting. It's this Monday night. :evil4:
Pez7378 wrote:New City Hall Now Open
Address: 11930 Cyrus Way
NEW Phone Number: 425-263-8000

Council meetings are held in the City Hall Council Chambers on the first and third Mondays (Monday March 2nd) of each month beginning at 7:00 PM unless posted otherwise.
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

Looks like I'll be able to drive up for this, so I'll be there too, and will speak from the REEF perspective. See you all there!

- Janna :)
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

I'm definitely going to be there. I have no agenda, other than to be another diver in a NWDC T shirt, but if I can help out in some other way, I'm willing.

It would be great if we could pack the hall with divers who are just there to represent, and not make a scene, or be disruptive. After the meeting, we could adjourn to the Diamond Knot, and make a disruptive scene over there.....
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Joshua Smith wrote: It would be great if we could pack the hall with divers who are just there to represent, and not make a scene, or be disruptive. After the meeting, we could adjourn to the Diamond Knot, and make a disruptive scene over there.....
Kind of like "the calm before the storm!"

This is exactly what we need and I think relocating to the Knot is a fitting conclusion to the evening.

I'm glad you're able to make it Janna - I'd much rather have you THERE speaking than be reading a letter from you.

Does anyone know "scuba 911" and does anyone have a line in dive clubs like emerald sea? That'd be another great resource to tap to increase numbers. We don't really need more speakers (though this being America, everyone can speak if they wish), but numbers are the real need now.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

Sounder wrote:
Joshua Smith wrote: It would be great if we could pack the hall with divers who are just there to represent, and not make a scene, or be disruptive. After the meeting, we could adjourn to the Diamond Knot, and make a disruptive scene over there.....
Does anyone have a line in dive clubs like emerald sea? That'd be another great resource to tap to increase numbers. We don't really need more speakers (though this being America, everyone can speak if they wish), but numbers are the real need now.
Has anyone contacted the Dive Shops? Put up Flyers? Might be tough this late in the game, but they could write something on their Dry Erase Boards that most shops use to announce their events. Just a thought. They also have extensive Email Lists that could be tapped into for one last push before Monday.
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

I propose we all show up in Scuba Masks and Snorkels! :supz:
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Pez7378 wrote:
Sounder wrote:
Does anyone have a line in dive clubs like emerald sea? That'd be another great resource to tap to increase numbers. We don't really need more speakers (though this being America, everyone can speak if they wish), but numbers are the real need now.
Has anyone contacted the Dive Shops? Put up Flyers? Might be tough this late in the game, but they could write something on their Dry Erase Boards that most shops use to announce their events. Just a thought. They also have extensive Email Lists that could be tapped into for one last push before Monday.
I spoke with people at a few shops, tried to encourage them to get customers to show up.

Pez, what's a snorkel?
scuba-911
Just Settling In

Post by scuba-911 »

I've definitely spread the word through the Emerald Sea Dive Club and am hopeful a few of our members can make it to the meeting. I'll be sending out a reminder to them over the weekend. It has been awesome to read all the responses and to see so many responding to this call for action!

Andy
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Pez7378 wrote:Mukilteo City Hall

Council meetings are held in the City Hall Council Chambers on the first and third Mondays (Monday March 2nd) of each month beginning at 7:00 PM unless posted otherwise

I sure hope we have a BIG turnout. =D> See you all there next Monday?

Just a reminder- this is tonight, at 7PM. I'll be there, and I hope to see a lot of other divers there as well.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Yes, please come out in support of this. While this may not be a dive site you regularly dive, the ruling here could affect your favorite local dive site in the future. We need to head this one off at the pass... which is exactly what we're doing tonight!!

Please come out and wear your colors - I'll be in one of my NWDC shirts and I hope others will wear their shirts as well.

Following the meeting, it sounds like a group of folks will be headed to the Diamondknot which will be fun too.
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

Hittin' the road now! See you guys there. (will be wearing a REEF shirt - big surprise there....)

Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

nwscubamom wrote:Hittin' the road now! See you guys there. (will be wearing a REEF shirt - big surprise there....)

SHOCKER!! :smt119

I even bathed this morning... and used soap whether I needed it or not. Funny, course once I'm ready to walk out the door, Baby Sounder puked all over me. Good times.
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

I'm looking foward to seeing a bunch of you folks there tonight.....those of you that I have met and those of you that I haven't. It's going to be interesting, and I think that we have a really, really good chance of getting this overturned. :salute:

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
smike
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by smike »

I'm coming all the way from Everett. =D> :dontknow:

Janna, and others, who are committing way more than me - THANKS in advance - and looking forward to meeting you all.
=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

I hope I can do something when your local dive access is in jeopardy. I hope that there are other "locals" who are spurred to act now, because of efforts like Janna is making.

Mike
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

John Rawlings wrote:I'm looking foward to seeing a bunch of you folks there tonight.....those of you that I have met and those of you that I haven't. It's going to be interesting, and I think that we have a really, really good chance of getting this overturned. :salute:

- John
Yes, it's looking very promising. What we really need is people to show up. Please come out for this - it shouldn't take too long and it's the best shot we've got... and we've got a good shot.
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

Joshua Smith wrote:
Pez7378 wrote:Mukilteo City Hall

Council meetings are held in the City Hall Council Chambers on the first and third Mondays (Monday March 2nd) of each month beginning at 7:00 PM unless posted otherwise

I sure hope we have a BIG turnout. =D> See you all there next Monday?

Just a reminder- this is tonight, at 7PM. I'll be there, and I hope to see a lot of other divers there as well.
BigFameOne
Compulsive Diver

Post by BigFameOne »

See you guys there!!!!
"Cave is cave. Tech is when you can't get out when you want to."-LCF
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Pez, I can't find the info, where is the meeting? What time?
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Sounder wrote:I'll be in one of my NWDC shirts and I hope others will wear their shirts as well.
Whats a NWDC shirt?

:dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow:
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
mattwave
Amphibian

Post by mattwave »

Not going to make it, I will be at the shop till 7.
"Scuba Like You Love It!"
Let's go diving