Dive Shower design photos needed - NHZ

General banter about diving and why we love it.
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Dive Shower design photos needed - NHZ

Post by nwscubamom »

I met with State Parks folks yesterday to set up a project where REEF will partner with Parks to monitor the critters that are taking up residence on the new reef at Saltwater State Park. The Park rangers are very excited about the project and prospect of appealing to divers, and explaining to the public what the reef is like, show photos, etc. (It helps that they are divers too!)

Some of the changes they want to make are:
- Take down the eyesore signs that appear on the beach
- Condense the do's and dont's of the site onto one kiosk type sign
- Design a kiosk for the new reef, showing the map of what it is like, underwater photos of the reef and critters, and perhaps an ongoing monitoring checklist as new species appear on the reef.

One of the concerns they brought up is that their dive shower is not adequate, and is an eyesore. They'd like to rip it down and replace it with something more vandalism-proof.

Here's the current shower:

I explained that there were other diver shower designs that are less prone to vandalism. I was thinking of the sturdy showers at Sunnyside Beach, Titlow, Edmonds, and I'm sure there are others that I'm not thinking of off the top of my head. I promised to send them photos of the other designs. Well, after combing through my pics this morning, I could only come up with ONE shot of the one at Edmonds, and it's not a very good one at that:
Whatevah rinses off at Edmonds after his dive.
Whatevah rinses off at Edmonds after his dive.
And I can't find any other photos that show any of the other site's shower designs!

Can you help? Any photos you might have that show the shower designs in the background? Please upload here!

- Janna :)
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
airsix
I've Got Gills

Re: Dive Shower design photos needed - NHZ

Post by airsix »

I thought the whole rest-room/shower area at Edmonds was very nice when I saw it for the first time last year. There is art, attractive masonry, maps & info under Plexiglas... and it all looks very nice. What stands out to me is that nothing looked like an afterthought. The style, layout, and colors keep the shower from standing out too much from the surroundings.

-Ben
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

I wonder if posting a google Sketchup draft of what would work would be more helpful?

D(B)
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

I don't have pictures but they could build a curved wall with a overhang then mount the plumbing inside the wall with just the faucet outside the wall and mount the head in the overhang with it flush to the surface so it was not accessible. This would protect it from vandalism as much as is practical and make it as un-obstructive as possible.
Scubak
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubak »

I like the design of the showers at Sunnyside and EUP...
Hate the one at Cove 2 and at Redondo...
I much prefer to use the hose (bringing mine if necessary) at Redondo in the parking lot...
Sorry, I don't have any photos so can't help you there.
Kirsten
"Let's go diving!"
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

I think on Monday when I drive up for the Mukilteo meeting, I'll do the Dive Shower 2009 tour, and stop at all of them on my way up and take photos of each of them.

So, I've got to hit:
Sunnyside
Titlow Beach
Redondo
Cove 2
Edmonds

Any others out there?

- Janna :)
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
TCWestby
Submariner

Post by TCWestby »

Kind of out of the way but I likr the one at Keystone.
Looking for dive buddies

Work is for the surface interval....
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Here's an interesting concept...

http://www.homedesignfind.com/bed-bath/viteo-shower/

Or

Last edited by BASSMAN on Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

This is simple but works well. It is bassicaly the type that is at Sunnyside and Titlow
Basic push button or in todays fancy world it could be activated by a motion sensor
Last edited by BASSMAN on Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TCWestby
Submariner

Post by TCWestby »

I like that vito shower, now just tell me it has a pressure sensitive plate to turn it on when you step ontop it. I wand one of those vito showers.
Looking for dive buddies

Work is for the surface interval....
whatevah
Aquanaut

Post by whatevah »

There is a pretty good outdoor shower at Langley, too. One thing I like about it is that it is easy to get under the stream - if you look at your photo of me at Edmonds you'll see I'm having to lean in, and I can't really get myself under there completely without crouching and shuffling.
“When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” -- John Muir
Phineas Gage

Post by Phineas Gage »

Just my $0.02, but I wouldn't even bother with a shower. A plain old garden hose on a spigot is a lot more useful, is easier to replace if it freezes, and is a lot cheaper to install.

Give me the setup at Redondo over that fancy schmancy contraption at BHUT any day.

Disclaimer: This was not an attempt to hijack a shower thread.
Biodiversity_Guy
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Biodiversity_Guy »

If you show them the picture of Whatevah, you may scare them away from wanting any divers at their park ever. :laughing3:
whatevah
Aquanaut

Post by whatevah »

Biodiversity_Guy wrote:If you show them the picture of Whatevah, you may scare them away from wanting any divers at their park ever. :laughing3:
Sheesh - there I was, thinking that I looked pretty fancy in my newish drysuit - figured I was the height of diving fashion and that I'd have to beat the women off with a stick. Might as well have worn my gnarly old 30% aquaseal wetsuit with the tractor innertube kneepads.

I like the hose spigot idea too - Langley has an outdoor shower and a rinsing hose. I think the problem with the hose is that it might be prone to vandalism or theft in some locations.
“When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” -- John Muir
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

TCWestby wrote:I like that vito shower, now just tell me it has a pressure sensitive plate to turn it on when you step ontop it. I wand one of those vito showers.
I agree, that would be cool!
:supz:
bnboly
Submariner

Post by bnboly »

Would have to agree with Phineas Gage, especially if the site is prone to vandals.
It's not broken - it's just missing duct tape!
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

TCWestby wrote:I like that viteo shower, now just tell me it has a pressure sensitive plate to turn it on when you step on top of it.
the-viteo-garden-shower.jpg
Take away the girl and it's just your average lawn sprinkler! :smt064

I like Bassmans entry! Simple, Durable and Functional.
Biodiversity_Guy
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Biodiversity_Guy »

Whatevah, it is clear to me that Janna was thinking just as you were hoping...out of the thousands of dive pictures she has, the one and only picture of a male taking a shower is you in your sexy suit <grins>.