Hello from Mukilteo

New to the NW Dive Club Forum? Come in and introduce yourself, the water's fine!
Paulicarp
Aquanaut

Hello from Mukilteo

Post by Paulicarp »

Hi everyone!

I'm *almost* a diver. I'm not done with my cert yet, but will be soon.

As I was doing some research, I came across a thread here about the new rule against shorediving at Lighthouse Park in Mukilteo. Perfect timing! I was able to get a letter written to Mayor Marine last week from a local business owner asking for reconsideration. When I saw how you all organized and handled the situation at the council meeting in an appropriate diplomatic manner, I decided I had to register and say thank you.

I'm proud to be part of the club, and I can't wait to see you down there!

--Paulicarp
Last edited by Paulicarp on Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Re: Hello from Mukilteo

Post by Pez7378 »

Welcome to the NWDC! And congratulations on "almost" becoming a diver. It's truly a life altering experience! You'll find that the people that are really dedicated to diving are a special group of people. It was no surprise to me that so many folks were willing to take time out of their lives to represent the community and show the Mukilteo City Council how important Lighthouse Park is to us. Now all we can do is wait, but I'm sure we'll all be celebrating success with a nice long dive at the park this spring!

This is THE place to find a wealth of information about diving (whether you want it or not!), and a good number of willing dive buddies that will meet you anytime, and anywhere for a dive!
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Hey there!! Welcome to NWDC!!

The Mukilteo thing really came off well and we're really proud of how it turned out. You'll find that sometimes we argue and fight, but we're really a big family and when the chips are down we close ranks to come together in a big way.

Please get involved! Being an almost-certified diver-to-be, we know you have 1.53 million questions so please start asking!! You'll get different view points on various issues, but the best part is you'll get all the best information you can't find anywhere else from a bunch of kick-ass people.

What are you doing on the 28th? There's a club dive at Redondo in Federal Way. If you're certified by then, hook up with them, meet some folks and have a "big buddy" take you for a spin around Redondo to show you some cool stuff!
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Welcome to the club! I can tell by your avatar you're gonna fit right in around here....... :occasion5:
Paulicarp wrote:Hi everyone!

As I was doing some research, I came across a thread here about the new rule against shorediving at Lighthouse Park in Mukilteo. Perfect timing! I was able to get a letter written to Mayor Marine last week from a local business owner asking for reconsideration. When I saw how you all organized and handled the situation at the counsel meeting in an appropriate diplomatic manor, I decided I had to register and say thank you.

--Paulicarp
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Joshua Smith wrote:Welcome to the club! I can tell by your avatar you're gonna fit right in around here....... :occasion5:
Very good point Josh, but Paulicarp - do you like tacos? :dontknow:
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Paulicarp wrote:Hi everyone!

As I was doing some research, I came across a thread here about the new rule against shorediving at Lighthouse Park in Mukilteo. Perfect timing! I was able to get a letter written to Mayor Marine last week from a local business owner asking for reconsideration. When I saw how you all organized and handled the situation at the counsel meeting in an appropriate diplomatic manor, I decided I had to register and say thank you.

--Paulicarp
Welcome to NWDC, Paulicarp! Glad you joined us!

Were you at the City Council meeting along with us? I know that there were 2 or 3 divers that are Mukilteo residents that were there that night for other business....were you one of them?

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
BigFameOne
Compulsive Diver

Post by BigFameOne »

welcome paulicarp, congrats on the pending certification. I am a pretty new diver myself, and the folks on this site have been a tremendous help to me, both on the site and in person. I am a member of easily a half dozen scuba boarrds but IMHO it is all about NWDiveclub. I like that it is local so the suggestions and answers I get here are from other locals familiar with the sort of diving we do here. I was at the council meeting about Lighthouse Park and was proud of us all for being heard. Josh Smith once said something to the effect of it takes a special kind of idiot to dive in the NW, I am glad I am one, and glad I found all these other special idiots.

Welcome, and nice avy

I like tacos Doug.
"Cave is cave. Tech is when you can't get out when you want to."-LCF
Paulicarp
Aquanaut

Post by Paulicarp »

Sounder wrote:
Joshua Smith wrote:Welcome to the club! I can tell by your avatar you're gonna fit right in around here....... :occasion5:
IMHO, tacos are a perfectly accepable food to wash down with a tasty ale.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Paulicarp wrote:
Sounder wrote:
He likes tacos & beer... he's in.
Paulicarp
Aquanaut

Post by Paulicarp »

John Rawlings wrote:
Welcome to NWDC, Paulicarp! Glad you joined us!

Were you at the City Council meeting along with us? I know that there were 2 or 3 divers that are Mukilteo residents that were there that night for other business....were you one of them?

- John
I'm sorry to say I was only there in spirit. As I said, I did get a letter sent in to Joe Marine pointing out the benefits of diving activity to local businesses (like mine) and residents, as well as expressing my personal desire to be able to dive there. (every little bit helps)

I know it's not a done deal yet, but again, thanks to all of you that helped for helping protect our liberty to enjoy this public place without the hassles of having to weigh the legitamacy of civil disobedience. =D>

--Paul
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

What's your business and, if it's not obvious, what does it do?
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Sounder wrote:
Paulicarp wrote:
Sounder wrote:
He likes tacos & beer... he's in.
I suppose, but what's up with this whole "pulling on a carp" thingie? Isn't that just a little strange - not to say downright weird? I know we are a tolerant bunch around here, but... "pulling on a carp"?! Don't you think that might get some of our critter lovers in a snit? Might take alot of tacos & beer to calm folks down.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Tom Nic wrote: I suppose, but what's up with this whole "pulling on a carp" thingie? Isn't that just a little strange - not to say downright weird? I know we are a tolerant bunch around here, but... "pulling on a carp"?! Don't you think that might get some of our critter lovers in a snit? Might take alot of tacos & beer to calm folks down.
I'm confused. I think Tom's brain is already in Bonaire. :dontknow:
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Sounder wrote:
Tom Nic wrote: I suppose, but what's up with this whole "pulling on a carp" thingie? Isn't that just a little strange - not to say downright weird? I know we are a tolerant bunch around here, but... "pulling on a carp"?! Don't you think that might get some of our critter lovers in a snit? Might take alot of tacos & beer to calm folks down.
I'm confused. I think Tom's brain is already in Bonaire. :dontknow:
paulicarp = pulling on a carp.

It's as clear as all get out. Why can't you see it? How can you be so blind?

Uh oh. Gotta go. There's a knock at the door. The black helicopters are circling. They've found me.
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Paulicarp
Aquanaut

Post by Paulicarp »

Nice to meet you too, Tom. BTW- just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not really after you!!
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Paulicarp wrote:Nice to meet you too, Tom.
And you as well sir!! :occasion5: (That's me on the right with a non-alchoholic beverage - trust me, you DON'T want to see me drink!)
Paulicarp wrote: BTW- just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not really after you!!
One of my favorite sayings!!
Paulicarp
Aquanaut

Post by Paulicarp »

Sounder wrote:What are you doing on the 28th? There's a club dive at Redondo in Federal Way. If you're certified by then, hook up with them, meet some folks and have a "big buddy" take you for a spin around Redondo to show you some cool stuff!
Thanks for the invite, I'll plan to make it.
Sounder wrote:What's your business and, if it's not obvious, what does it do?
Evergreen Pacific Publishing. My office is in the Mukilteo Industrial Park, right on the speedway next to Tom Wells Golf. http://www.evergreenpacific.com

--Paul
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Very cool. I bet some of our folks here are customers of yours in one way or another!