"Sparky" the Lumpsucker

Fish & Invertebrate sightings and descriptions, hosted by resident NWDC ID expert Janna Nichols (nwscubamom).
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Re: "Sparky" the Lumpsucker

Post by nwscubamom »

Jenn, that is FREAKY cool!!! Looks like a photoshop job, but I know better - that's his real color. (or hers). What an amazing sight. Great shots, you done real good, girl!

Wow wow wow wow.

- Janna :)
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

Amazing shots of that guy!

Can someone with some marine biology knowledge tell me why PSL's are shaped/colored that way?
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

I think Sparky should be the new official mascot of NWDC and that a picture of him should replace the hoity-toity Orca on the back of NWDC T-Shirts. He even goes with the color scheme of the board!

(Of course, this opinion is from someone who thinks that "Grunt Sculpin Divers" would be a cool name for a dive club.)
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Went down looking for him last night but no luck. there were 5 of us all looking for him and no luck! :naka:
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

scottsax wrote:... tell me why PSL's are shaped/colored that way?
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

Actually, wouldn't that be
Attachments
Blinky.png
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

But seriously, I am curious about the morphology of these critters....

Greg Jensen
Amphibian

Post by Greg Jensen »

I suspect the color differences are at least partly genetic, as the one that was breeding long ago in my tank was the same blue color and all her babies were blue. As for their shape- beats me. They can certainly zip around a lot better than one would expect from looking at them. Maybe their big conical scales have a hydrodynamic function, like the aerodynamic benefits of the dimples on a golf ball. Since most fish swallow prey whole, their shape probably makes them tough to swallow (kind of like a puffer fish that is always puffed). I haven't seen many records of them in fish stomachs.
enchantmentdivi
Amphibian

Post by enchantmentdivi »

Tom Nic wrote:I think Sparky should be the new official mascot of NWDC and that a picture of him should replace the hoity-toity Orca on the back of NWDC T-Shirts. He even goes with the color scheme of the board!

(Of course, this opinion is from someone who thinks that "Grunt Sculpin Divers" would be a cool name for a dive club.)
\:D/ If you want him, he's all yours!
Jenn
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

"Northwest Lumpsuckers!" \:D/
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

scottsax wrote:Amazing shots of that guy!

Can someone with some marine biology knowledge tell me why PSL's are shaped/colored that way?
I second that question and chenari thirds it!!!!
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
enchantmentdivi
Amphibian

Post by enchantmentdivi »

enchantmentdivi wrote:
Tom Nic wrote:I think Sparky should be the new official mascot of NWDC and that a picture of him should replace the hoity-toity Orca on the back of NWDC T-Shirts. He even goes with the color scheme of the board!

\:D/ If you want him, he's all yours!
Actually, if you guys want a lumpsucker t-shirt, Rogue Brewery makes one (and I have it): http://store.rogue.com/cart.php?action= ... d_number=5 They also make a pretty cool wolf eel t-shirt (yeah, I have that one too): http://store.rogue.com/cart.php?action= ... d_number=6 :bootyshake:
Jenn
FishGirl
Getting To Know Folks

Post by FishGirl »

Jenn-AWESOME find and photos!! That is the coolest color ever! Tami and I are going hunting this afternoon!!

Tom, I second the Grunt Sculpin Divers!! Haha :P My all time favorite fish.
I love you, I whispered into the ear of the ocean. Ever since I've known you, I've loved you. I must see all your marvels, know all your beauty." And the ocean listened and snuggled still closer to me. Hans Hass
><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>
¯`·. ><((((º>`·.