Apeks regs

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Paulicarp
Aquanaut

Apeks regs

Post by Paulicarp »

Who here uses Apeks regs? Which model? Why do you like it? Is there anything you don't like about it?

Is it true that they are more easily serviced/repaired than some of the other brands?

thanks!

--Pauli
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Re: Apeks regs

Post by dsteding »

I do. I have:

DS4s and DST first stages on my deco/stage bottles (with XTX50 or TX100 seconds).

XTX200 first/seconds on my backgas.

and, a FST first stage with yoke on it as my girlfriend's single tank reg. Also have an XTX40, and an ATX50 that is in bits and pieces.

Love all of them--the TX100 is my best breather, but that may be because Dan serviced that one. They've all be super reliable and I hear they are relatively easy to service, but I haven't gone there because I get free parts on most of them--so service is cheap.
Fishstiq wrote:
To clarify.........

I cannot stress enough that this is MY PROBLEM.
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

I do.

I have 5 sets of TX50/DS4's:

Single tank
Doubles backgas
Stage
50% deco bottle

I'd prefer a DST for my stage and deco regs, simply due to the routing, but the DS4s are fine.

Whenever I buy another reg, it'll be another Apeks. I do have a couple of Scubapros, and they breathe well, but they're finicky and I keep having problems with the high pressure seats, which I've been told isn't uncommon. They breathe great when they're working though.
Last edited by BDub on Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.frogkickdiving.com/

"It's a lot easier when you're not doing it" - CaseyB449

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Paulicarp wrote:Who here uses Apeks regs? Which model? Why do you like it? Is there anything you don't like about it?
i can't speak to how easily they're repaired but...

my first set were the atx100s, and i loved them. the only reason i stopped using them is because i got a great deal on a DST 1st stage with two XTX50 second stages. they are fantastic regs too.

all the apeks regs i've tried breathe really well, and most well suited for cold water diving.
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

spatman wrote:
Paulicarp wrote:Who here uses Apeks regs? Which model? Why do you like it? Is there anything you don't like about it?
i can't speak to how easily they're repaired but...

my first set were the atx100s, and i loved them. the only reason i stopped using them is because i got a great deal on a DST 1st stage with two XTX50 second stages. they are fantastic regs too.

all the apeks regs i've tried breathe really well, and most well suited for cold water diving.
As the proud papa of Spatman's ATX100s, LOVE them!!! Compared with my previous regs (Oceanic,) they feel like they deliver air, as opposed to me pulling air, if that makes sense.
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

scottsax wrote:As the proud papa of Spatman's ATX100s, LOVE them!!!
yeah, that was a wild and wacky night. i'm never drinking tequila with you again.

:mmmbeer:
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

spatman wrote:
yeah, that was a wild and wacky night. i'm never drinking tequila with you again.

You promised you wouldn't bring that up! :crybaby:
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

scottsax wrote:
spatman wrote:

You promised you wouldn't bring that up! :crybaby:
well, you had to go and mention our bastard regulators in public! :tappingfoot:
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

I've got 4 DS4's, and TX50's. Haven't even used them yet. I've got to send them in to get rebuilt. I will let you know costs, etc. I've heard it's around $60 for parts and labor per reg.

D(B)
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

My buddies in LA have never ending problems with their Apeks deco regs, I think they are getting water in them when they depressurize. And general crappy service down there. I love my scubapros pistons, they seem quite tolerant of water. I recently bought a used DST with an Oceanic 2nd and it seems fine. Although I use it as a bottom stage reg so I don't know how long its going to like that.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Paulicarp
Aquanaut

Post by Paulicarp »

has anyone here compared the DST and the TEK3 first stages?
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

CaptnJack wrote:My buddies in LA have never ending problems with their Apeks deco regs, I think they are getting water in them when they depressurize. And general crappy service down there. I love my scubapros pistons, they seem quite tolerant of water. I recently bought a used DST with an Oceanic 2nd and it seems fine. Although I use it as a bottom stage reg so I don't know how long its going to like that.
Do your buddies regs not have the environmental seals?

D(B)
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

defied wrote:
CaptnJack wrote:My buddies in LA have never ending problems with their Apeks deco regs, I think they are getting water in them when they depressurize. And general crappy service down there. I love my scubapros pistons, they seem quite tolerant of water. I recently bought a used DST with an Oceanic 2nd and it seems fine. Although I use it as a bottom stage reg so I don't know how long its going to like that.
Do your buddies regs not have the environmental seals?

D(B)
All sealed. The water gets in the DIN end when its stowed.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

Ah.. suckage... I hope mine don't do that. *crosses fingers*
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Paulicarp wrote:has anyone here compared the DST and the TEK3 first stages?
What are you looking for?

The DST is a turret while Tek3 has no turrent and is specific for doubles. The DST is less than ideal for doubles (DST4 being much better at keeping your hoses in place) while the Tek3 is less than ideal for deco bottles - the right post reg doesn't even have a HP port on it. The left post reg would have your hoses on the inside of your boltsnaps (assuming you slung the bottle on the left).

Didn't you just get certified??
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

defied wrote:Ah.. suckage... I hope mine don't do that. *crosses fingers*
With any reg, try your best to keep them pressurized. Its not really possible with 3 bottles tho since one will be somewhere not on your side (leash or hip clipped). Those guys are hard on gear so I don't put too much stock in that anyway, I just got a DST myself.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Paulicarp wrote:has anyone here compared the DST and the TEK3 first stages?
The Tec3 is set up especially for routing on doubles. I think you'd be better served with the DST, or a DS4 if you can find one. I have a franken reg, Salvo SR1 1st stage (super simple never given me any real problems as long as I actually get the DIN post tight.) An old US Divers unbalanced as my second stage, an Apex XTX40 as my primary. I love the XTX, never given me any trouble, but then again, neither has the US divers. The Apeks definitely breathes nicer.
Dmitchell
Perma Narc'd

Post by Dmitchell »

We sell and service both and my service tech (AKA my wife) says that Apeks are much easier to service than Scubapro and she's been doing Servicing Scubapro for over 10 years.

I'm currently switching all my Scubapro for Apeks for the time being, just to use something else that I sell. I've had all Scubapro for years.

I currently have the Tek3 Set for doubles. I got one of the first sets when they came out a couple years back. They breathe great, I just rarely dive them since I got the rebreather about the same time. I'm getting ready to buy Apeks for singles to replace my MK25/S600 then I'm buying 4 sets for stages as soon as I line out all the $$$.

My Scubapro's have never failed me in 20 years but I thought that for grins, I'd try something else.

Dave
Dave Mitchell
Paulicarp
Aquanaut

Post by Paulicarp »

CaptnJack wrote:
What are you looking for?

The DST is a turret while Tek3 has no turrent and is specific for doubles. The DST is less than ideal for doubles (DST4 being much better at keeping your hoses in place) while the Tek3 is less than ideal for deco bottles - the right post reg doesn't even have a HP port on it. The left post reg would have your hoses on the inside of your boltsnaps (assuming you slung the bottle on the left).

Didn't you just get certified??
good question: My thought was that if I buy two XTX50 for primary and octo, I might as well get the TEK3 kit for only a few bucks more and use the left post reg for now on a single, and I'd have the right post reg on deck for when I progress to the point that I'm ready to start diving doubles.

--P
Romer Treece
Pelagic

Post by Romer Treece »

From a service techs standpoint,
I love Apeks regulators, for how they breathe and how they are serviced. I own Scubapro, and I thought nothing could beat them as far as breathability, but the Apeks sure do have smoother cracking than the Scubapro.
Scubapro also have A LOT of different regs, and almost every one have their own DIFFERENT kit to service them. Apeks have one kit, one for the first stage and one for the second, so you won't have a problem of not finding kits due to the manufacturer discontinuing kits to obsolete regulators.
Both brands are top notch, but Apeks wins by a nose IMO.

Dan
Last edited by Romer Treece on Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

The hose routing (all out one side) Isn't going to be very good for singles I would think.......

Paul, I really wouldn't buy ANY gear (except the OW "personal" gear) before OW class. And even then, try renting and diving a few different setups. I'll bet if you asked nicely there's someone around here who would show you a BP/W setup if you can't rent one. Many people have closets with gear purchased pre-OW (and sometimes just post-OW) that is collecting dust. I do.
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Another Apeks diver here. I agree with what has been said so-far so I won't repeat. But I'll add that another great thing about them is cold-water performance. I don't mean that tepid Puget Sound water. I mean freezing water. On the local winter dives in my neighborhood we're in 32F-36F water most of December-March. On the local club dives in those conditions I am always sure to buddy up with someone with Apeks regs because usually about half of the other divers will be fighting free-flows right from the start.

-Ben
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Ken G
I've Got Gills

Post by Ken G »

Is it true that they are more easily serviced/repaired than some of the other brands?

thanks!

--Pauli
I do as well. Have 4 sets. Two for back gas and two for deco. All XTX50/DS4 combo's. I like the price, the ease of breathing, ease of servicing, and the ease of obtaining service kits. Great regs IMO.
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

Well, I guess Dan said it all. If only I could get him to teach me to service my own Apeks regs!
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Another Apeks fan, here- they're awesome regs. Of course, there are a lot of awesome regs out there, these days. I own one Scubapro, 1 Atomic, and one Apeks. They all breathe really sweet, even below 200'. Never had a problem with any of them.

On another note- I just noticed that this thread was in the Technical Diving section- I think it probably belongs over in Gear Central. I'm going to move it. (sure hope I don't delete all the posts- these here websites sure are tricky to run!!!)
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."