I'm finally certified!

New to the NW Dive Club Forum? Come in and introduce yourself, the water's fine!
enigmatic
Avid Diver

I'm finally certified!

Post by enigmatic »

Last weekend I finally got certified. This is after a couple "discover scuba" dives in sunny Hawaii. Dammed that Puget sound water is cold when you first dunk your face in. Anyway - I think I'm officially addicted and look forward to finding some great buddies on this site!

Cheers
-Matt :partyman:
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Congrats!

Post by Nwbrewer »

Congratualtions Matt. We'll see you around the sound then! \:D/

Jake
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Way to go! :wav:

Our cold, green, gloomy diving rocks!! :supz:

See you in the water!

Are you in the South or North end or elsewhere? Lots of good folks willing to take new divers along on this board...
enigmatic
Avid Diver

Post by enigmatic »

Thanks! I am in the downtown Seattle area - so neither North or South. ;-)

Hopefully. I'm counting on this to be a substitute for the gym. haha.
GillyWeed
Submariner

Post by GillyWeed »

Hey Matt,

Welcome... Diving is my substitue for the gym.. Course I try to dive at least 2 times a week, but I have lost 7# since I started diving and I am not dieting at all.. #-o

Hope to see you in our beautiful Puget Sound.. Warm water is for baths anyway!

Cheers,

Holly
"Well I, I wont go down by myself, but I'll go down with my friends!"
luv2scuba
Frequent Bubbler

Post by luv2scuba »

Congratulations and welcome aboard!

See you in the water!
:bounce:
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Hmmmm.... I have had the opposite experience. I've substituted diving for the gym and have gained 20lbs! Wait, maybe it has to do with the fact that I'm also at the computer for 12 hours per day ](*,)

Congratulations Matt, I work close to downtown too and it's pretty quick to shoot down 99 and over to W. Seattle for an after work dive at Alki. I hope to see you in the water soon! :supz:
enigmatic
Avid Diver

Post by enigmatic »

Wow Calvin, you're probably close! I'm right by Safeco field. hmmm - maybe I could convince you to take me diving at Alki one of these evenings coming up. I'd try out the night dive but:

a) I don't have dive lights... yet (Friday) and...
b) might not be the best first dive with no instructor. ;-) :bounce:
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

enigmatic wrote:I'm counting on this to be a substitute for the gym. haha.
I wouldn't count on it too much, at least the actual diving part! ](*,) When I'm doing it right, diving is relaxing, I'm slowing my breathing WAY down, and not exerting lots of energy. I find myself telling lots of divers to slow down and enjoy the reason they started diving! If they want to swim laps the pool is much better!

Now, if you're talking schlepping 100 pounds of gear to and from the dive sites and tromping in and out of the water, up and down hill with said gear, then YES it is work!!! :axe:

I can give you names of a few sites where just getting in and out of the water is a big enough challenge to really get your heart rate going! \:D/
GillyWeed
Submariner

Post by GillyWeed »

Now, if you're talking schlepping 100 pounds of gear to and from the dive sites and tromping in and out of the water, up and down hill with said gear, then YES it is work!!!
That's what gets me...
can give you names of a few sites where just getting in and out of the water is a big enough challenge to really get your heart rate going!
hmm let's see, Les Davis & 3 tree.. How about doing a Boat charter.. That's always fun taking gear up and down the ramps to the boats...
"Well I, I wont go down by myself, but I'll go down with my friends!"
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

enigmatic wrote:Wow Calvin, you're probably close! I'm right by Safeco field. hmmm - maybe I could convince you to take me diving at Alki one of these evenings coming up. I'd try out the night dive but:

a) I don't have dive lights... yet (Friday) and...
b) might not be the best first dive with no instructor. ;-) :bounce:
I'm actually in the P-I building, so a little ways North of you. We can do a dive at Alki, perhaps next week or so after you get your lights (we usually stick to the Wednesday evening schedule). Depending on how comfortable you are in the water at this point, I'm capable of taking you diving in a low light environment (divemaster & night diver certs), dusk or night. Alternatively, maybe we can get together (or pair you up with another diver) on one of the upcoming weekends during the daylight hours. I'll be out of town this coming weekend, but am free the following one.

I'm glad to hear some consideration though, I'd way rather dive with a new cautious diver than a gung ho one! =D>
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Tom - how about Edmonds? We lost some weight that day! I was wishing I had nitrox at the surface after that surface swim and current!!!
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Sounder wrote:Tom - how about Edmonds? We lost some weight that day! I was wishing I had nitrox at the surface after that surface swim and current!!!
No kidding!

Sunrise is another... I want to dive that site so bad, but unless I'm doing it from a boat the "getting to the water" description keeps scaring me off or running me to another slightly easier site.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

I did Sunrise as one of my OW dives and it was great. Saw my first wolf eel who was like a puppy dog. We did it from the boat and when I saw the HIKE :smt119 I knew why people do it via boat. I'm sure there are some hardcores out there who will hike it, but I'm just not into starting the dive sucking air from the hike.
enigmatic
Avid Diver

Post by enigmatic »

I'm actually in the P-I building, so a little ways North of you. We can do a dive at Alki, perhaps next week or so after you get your lights (we usually stick to the Wednesday evening schedule). Depending on how comfortable you are in the water at this point, I'm capable of taking you diving in a low light environment (divemaster & night diver certs), dusk or night. Alternatively, maybe we can get together (or pair you up with another diver) on one of the upcoming weekends during the daylight hours. I'll be out of town this coming weekend, but am free the following one.
That'd be awesome! :supz: I'm doing a couple more dives this weekend with a buddy in Mukilteo to get just a little better. I'd definately be up for a dusk or night dive next week... I plan to try and make the Wednesday evening thing - and I'm also free Thursday and Friday after 6.
jeff98208
Aquanaut

welcome

Post by jeff98208 »

congrats and welcome to the board. some you in the water some time enigmatic. later!

good day!
jeff
:supz:
TAKE only pictures, KILL only time, LEAVE only bubbles!
Sasquatch
Compulsive Diver

Post by Sasquatch »

Howdy!

Glad you found us.

Sea ya!
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Welcome Matt!
See you at a dive soon! If you ever feel the need to come towards the South end, we have several fun sites to explore.
Congrats on getting certified =D> !
As soon as you get enough "Scuba Units" you can go for a drysuit.
FYI - 1 scuba Unit = $100.00
"10 scuba units sounds better / easier than $1000.00."
Or maybe you have the drysuit all ready?

when or if you are buying new gear this is a great site to ask questions on.
enigmatic
Avid Diver

Post by enigmatic »

Welcome Matt!
See you at a dive soon! If you ever feel the need to come towards the South end, we have several fun sites to explore.
Congrats on getting certified !
As soon as you get enough "Scuba Units" you can go for a drysuit.
FYI - 1 scuba Unit = $100.00
"10 scuba units sounds better / easier than $1000.00."
Or maybe you have the drysuit all ready?

when or if you are buying new gear this is a great site to ask questions on.
I think the drysuits gonna have to wait for a bit. Dive lights are the next purchase followed by two tanks and a wetsuit. A drysuit is just soooo expensive!
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

the C8 e-led is a good and affordable light.

do you know which tanks you are going to buy yet?
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

I agree with Bassman, the C8 eLED is a terrific light that is relatively inexpensive and can take a beating. It's not anywhere as bright as a Light Cannon or a canister, but if you tend to knock things around like me you'll appreciate it.

More here.
enigmatic
Avid Diver

Post by enigmatic »

Yeah. I was going to get the C8 eLED along with a backup smaller UK light.

For tanks... I've been thinking HP 100's or 120's. I think I should try diving with one before I make up my mind though. They're just so doggone expensive.

Calvin - you're avatar scares me. :axe:
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

In response to the earlier quote about Sunrise being a difficult beach entry...
I had been hearing the same thing for a long time. When I actually went to the site I found that it was not difficult at all. The walk down the trail takes maybe a minute or two. The grade of the trail isn't so steep that walking back up is much trouble either. This is my favorie dive in the south end, although I've never done Day Island wall.
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Perhaps a visit to see what the real hike actually consists of is in order! From the boat (and from listening to other divers who'd done it), it appeared tough... then again, it's easy to say how tough the shore entry is when you're on a boat. But then again... "it rains all the time in Seattle" too (looking out over sparkling Lake Washington without a cloud in sight).
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

My avatar scares me as well :axe:

Have you considered using Low Pressure tanks? I love my LP95s, I wouldn't trade em for anything. We (my buddies and I) affectionately call them Berthas.