How many tanks is too many?

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
scottsax
I've Got Gills

How many tanks is too many?

Post by scottsax »

I was having a conversation with the girlfriend on the way to work this morning. I was talking about tanks and telling her I thought I needed at least 4 more-2 more HP120s, because I like them so much, and a couple HP100s for her when she gets certified that I could at some point turn into doubles. She looked at me incredulous and said, "how many tanks do you need? You already have 3...."

Of course, some 119s would be nice, as would some 130s. The way I see it, you need at least 3 of each kind of tank for those days when you do 3 dives. So now, I'm thinking I need 1 more HP120, 3 130s, and 3 100s (for her) before I even BEGIN to think about doubles. Does this addiction stop somewhere?
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
Paulicarp
Aquanaut

Re: How many tanks is too many?

Post by Paulicarp »

the nice thing is, you 're clearly thinking of her first! :kissing: she has to know she's one very loved and apreciated woman!!
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

scottsax wrote:I was having a conversation with the girlfriend on the way to work this morning. I was talking about tanks and telling her I thought I needed at least 4 more-2 more HP120s, because I like them so much, and a couple HP100s for her when she gets certified that I could at some point turn into doubles. She looked at me incredulous and said, "how many tanks do you need? You already have 3...."

Of course, some 119s would be nice, as would some 130s. The way I see it, you need at least 3 of each kind of tank for those days when you do 3 dives. So now, I'm thinking I need 1 more HP120, 3 130s, and 3 100s (for her) before I even BEGIN to think about doubles. Does this addiction stop somewhere?
2 sets of doubles, 4 stages, 4 deco bottles, 2 single tanks (add Jeanna's and you can double those numbers)....I'll let you know when I have enough :suicidepills:
Last edited by BDub on Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.frogkickdiving.com/

"It's a lot easier when you're not doing it" - CaseyB449

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

No.

Four sets of doubles, and four single tanks (LP95s, HP130s) and four Al40s and two Al6's (and I want two more) and we don't have enough doubles because I keep getting visitors.

Scott Christopher's garage is getting close to the right number of tanks. And I think that's somewhere around thirty or so . . .
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

Paulicarp wrote:the nice thing is, you 're clearly thinking of her first! :kissing: she has to know she's one very loved and apreciated woman!!
Yes, but she's not even certified yet, and there's no guarantee she's going to enjoy cold water diving. (Although, since I detest being cold more than almost anyone, I think she should enjoy it!)
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

You actually like hp120s? You are the first person I know that likes them. Hauling Rob's back into my boat we joke about them being 'herniators'

I have:
2x single lp95s (wife's)
2x single hp100s
3 sets of steel doubles 85s, 100s, 119s
1 set of al80 doubles (wife's)
6x al40 stages
8x al80 stages
2x al6 argon
2x al13 argon
1x al13 for boat inflation
1x al80 + 1x Al63 driving my argon booster
= about 26 tank units

From trips and when diving various mixes I don't really think I have that many. I have used them all in a long weekend. I would even like another set of double 119s or double 130s for bigger dives and to have enough guest capacity.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

CaptnJack wrote:You actually like hp120s?
I'm tall, and I like the way I trim out with them. I think I'm one of the few that likes them.

And yeah, they're heavy as hell, but 119s feel heavier to me.

Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

I dunno ... I've added another set of doubles and a couple more deco bottles since this picture was taken, and somehow they all still get used ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

i brought 5 tanks into my local shop for fills and the guy actually said "jeez, how many tanks can one diver have?" :rofl:

"you should meet some of my friends!" i replied.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Jeez, if I only bring five tanks into my local shop, Wally asks me if I had a slow week-end ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

:thankyouyellow:

Thanks everybody! I KNEW I didn't have enough!

dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

Lemme see:

4 or 5 AL80 stages (haven't counted in a bit-never all in one place)

2 sets of double 100s

2 HP130s

5 AL40 deco bottles

1 AL 30

3 AL 6s

2 AL19s (boat inflation)

1 AL13 (boat inflation)

Honestly, the problem I have now is keeping everything in vis/hydro.
Fishstiq wrote:
To clarify.........

I cannot stress enough that this is MY PROBLEM.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

More tanks = more friends. :highfive:

2 sets double HP100s
1 set double HP119s
7 single HP130s
2 single HP80s
2 stage-rigged Al80s
3 deco-rigged Al40s
3 argon Al6s
2 "E" medical O2 bottles
1 "M9" medical O2 bottle

I'm getting my visual inspector certification soon - with my tanks, the ROI on a good class is huge.

...and I have a new bottle as well.

I've got a 15lbs. CO2 tank in my new fridge right next to my keg to ensure I never experience an OOG (which means OOB) emergency! :police: Gas management at it's finest. :mmmbeer:

To answer the OP question, you'll know you have too many tanks when someone who owns a dive shop or who owns more tanks than you do tells you to stop buying tanks.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

SEVEN 130's????? Damn, Doug! :hello2:
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

I have an -
al80
hp119
al6 Ar

I should get another 119, but it's looking more like I don't need to buy tanks, I just need to go diving with some of these guys...

oh yeah and -

5lb CO2

Doug, in the even that you are not partying with a buddy who carries his own gas, it is important to have redundancy.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/pics/full ... harger.jpg

This will ensure that in the event of an OOG, the beer keeps flowing and no one winds up switching the posts around and holding the keg over their heads to get the beer to flow. Not that I've seen it done or anything....
Stu
Aquaphile

Post by Stu »

scottsax wrote:
I'm tall, and I like the way I trim out with them. I think I'm one of the few that likes them.

Thats because they are at least if you believe this source

http://www.xsscuba.com/tank_steel_specs.html

These 'who has more stuff' posts are always fun to watch.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Stu wrote:
scottsax wrote:

Thats because they are at least if you believe this source

http://www.xsscuba.com/tank_steel_specs.html
Those are the worthington hp120s. Those are just tall.

Its the Faber hp120s who are ghastly heavy. 48lbs, -7 empty and -16 full
http://www.tdl.divebiz.net/pub/tanks.html
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Asking you guys how many tanks is to much is like asking a college student how much booze you should by for his frat party!!! :smt064 :smt064 :confused: :confused:
sunnydude
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by sunnydude »

CaptnJack wrote:Its the Faber hp120s who are ghastly heavy. 48lbs, -7 empty and -16 full
http://www.tdl.divebiz.net/pub/tanks.html
Aren't the Heiser 120's heavier? I bought one off SB and sold before it arrived due to finding it to be 55#, -17.82 empty and -26.4 full. No way I wanted that much neg.

And I am impressed that you guys are allowed that much space in the garage for your gear! I would have to beg and plead to get that much room.
Sean
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Nwbrewer wrote:Doug, in the even that you are not partying with a buddy who carries his own gas, it is important to have redundancy.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/pics/full ... harger.jpg

This will ensure that in the event of an OOG, the beer keeps flowing and no one winds up switching the posts around and holding the keg over their heads to get the beer to flow. Not that I've seen it done or anything....
I actually have one of those with plenty of charges... I need to learn how they connect to the keg and how to keep from over-pressurizing the keg.

Those little dittys are the SpareAir of the beer world, only more useful. However, they're no substitute for proper gas management. :mmmbeer:
Paulicarp
Aquanaut

Post by Paulicarp »

Grateful Diver wrote:I dunno ... I've added another set of doubles and a couple more deco bottles since this picture was taken, and somehow they all still get used ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
so...uh, Bob, ...what's your address and when will you be out of the house for a while? :blackblink:
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

sunnydude wrote:
And I am impressed that you guys are allowed that much space in the garage for your gear! I would have to beg and plead to get that much room.
Yeah, but that's the only space in the house that I get! :whip:

Sounder make sure and use the food grade ones. The ones for Airpistols and stuff have oil in them to lube the mechanism. :huge:
Dmitchell
Perma Narc'd

Post by Dmitchell »

I've got something like 100 tanks floating around. The ones I call mine I suppose are

4 -ST100s
4-ST80's Currently 2 of the 80's are doubled. In the past the 100's were doubled depending on need.
1-set double 95's Mostly for friends
2 ST 23's primary rebreather bottles
8 AL19's other Rebreather bottles rarely used
3 - AL 40's Bailout/Deco
3- AL 80's Bailout/Deco
3-13's General Purpose
1 - 6 - Air/gon
1- AL4 - Offboard O2

The key to not having so many tanks is having your own compressor preferably something bigger than 4CFM! :bounceline:
Dave Mitchell
Dive-aholic

Post by vbcoachchris »

Can I play too?

Scott
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

vbcoachchris wrote:Can I play too?

Scott
No. If you played, NWDC might explode and we'd be out our favorite forum. I do think we should get a picture of your garage when there is a LOT of tanks and scooters there though.

We could even make a calendar: 12 months of Scott's garage. It'd include pictures from various angles in your garage so the "view" changes each month. Then, come the new year, you can line all the pictures up for a 360-degree pan of your garage and flip January up on the next year's calendar called "my friends' dive boats."