Techreational

This forum is provided for the further edification of our club members seeking to improve their knowledge and diving skills. (recreational diving only)
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Re: Techreational

Post by Nwbrewer »

I don't really see the name to label anything "techreational", but I kind of agree with Lynne and Peter, a lot of the dives people around here do fall kind of between a "Technical" dive, where you're slinging a deco gas and have mandatory deco, and a "Recreational" dive where you could blow off even a SS, do your 30-60fpm ascent and be just fine. I'd say any dive that hits the black numbers on the PADI RDP. It's the area where one table says you're in deco, or makes the "safety stop" mandatory, and one says you're on the border. Yeah, you could probably blow off the SS, and do a direct ascent, but more than likely you're not going to be feeling 100% after the dive. :sleep:
babs13
Dive-aholic

Post by babs13 »

[quote="BASSMAN"]Techreational

LOL. :supz: :evil4: :sunny:
Step 1: I have a diving problem.
Peter Guy
Compulsive Diver

Post by Peter Guy »

I've been (take your pick) -- Amused, Bemused, Amazed, Bewildered -- by the number of comments from people who are opposed to "labels" and thus oppose the word "Techreational."

What's with that? A label, when it makes sense, is merely a shorthand way of providing a information about a subject and thus can be quite helpful in a conversation about "X" topic. IF there is a problem with a label, it isn't with THE label but with the recipient of the word and how he interprets that particular word/phrase. The label itself is not the source of the (dreaded) divisiveness that appears to be so abhorred, but how one uses the label. The label is merely a tool to be used -- whether for good or not so good.

For example, it appears that most people who don't like "Techreational" do appear to like the label "diver." But what information does "Diver" provide to us? Not much and thus does little to aid any conversation/discussion with someone who is described as a "diver." When you add another modifier, "cave" for example, you have just provided the recipient with (perhaps) a lot more information about that person -- and in a very reasonable shorthand way. The same is true for "PSD" or "wreck" or "tec" or (you name it).

We need modifiers so that we can get information -- what one DOES with that information is another story.

So I'll continue with my belief that "Techreational" is a very good descriptive word for a type of diving that is somewhere between "recreational" and "technical" diving.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Peter Guy wrote:What's with that? A label, when it makes sense, is merely a shorthand way of providing a information about a subject and thus can be quite helpful in a conversation about "X" topic. IF there is a problem with a label, it isn't with THE label but with the recipient of the word and how he interprets that particular word/phrase. The label itself is not the source of the (dreaded) divisiveness that appears to be so abhorred, but how one uses the label. The label is merely a tool to be used -- whether for good or not so good.
i disagree. the problem isn't always with the interpretation of the label. the label itself can be problematic regardless of the context and interpretation. there are instances where the label will uniformly be interpreted negatively, therefore the label itself is at fault, not the recipient of the word.

"techreational" is open for discussion. "stroke" generally isn't. to take it to an extreme, "kike" definitely is not, and that is a label i have had the displeasure of being the recipient of and "interpreting".
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Well said Matt.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Peter Guy wrote:I've been (take your pick) -- Amused, Bemused, Amazed, Bewildered -- by the number of comments from people who are opposed to "labels" and thus oppose the word "Techreational."

What's with that? A label, when it makes sense, is merely a shorthand way of providing a information about a subject and thus can be quite helpful in a conversation about "X" topic. IF there is a problem with a label, it isn't with THE label but with the recipient of the word and how he interprets that particular word/phrase. The label itself is not the source of the (dreaded) divisiveness that appears to be so abhorred, but how one uses the label. The label is merely a tool to be used -- whether for good or not so good.

For example, it appears that most people who don't like "Techreational" do appear to like the label "diver." But what information does "Diver" provide to us? Not much and thus does little to aid any conversation/discussion with someone who is described as a "diver." When you add another modifier, "cave" for example, you have just provided the recipient with (perhaps) a lot more information about that person -- and in a very reasonable shorthand way. The same is true for "PSD" or "wreck" or "tec" or (you name it).

We need modifiers so that we can get information -- what one DOES with that information is another story.

So I'll continue with my belief that "Techreational" is a very good descriptive word for a type of diving that is somewhere between "recreational" and "technical" diving.
So explain to me again what is the difference between a recreational dive and a "techreational" dive ... and this time really put some thought into what makes each one different from the other ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Peter Guy wrote:So I'll continue with my belief that "Techreational" is a very good descriptive word for a type of diving that is somewhere between "recreational" and "technical" diving.
Go right ahead and do that. I'm not opposed to labels, I just think this one is silly. What's the difference between an "Advanced recreational dive" and a "Techreational dive?" Should I call myself a "Full trimix manual rebreather diver?" Call yourself and your style of diving whatever you want, though. Just don't expect us to start a new "techreational" sub forum any time soon.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Joshua Smith wrote: What's the difference between and "Advanced recreational dive" and a "Techreational dive?"
Techreational is more fun to say. :boucegreen:
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

I think we need a Lemon Wedge Instructor forum while you're at it, Josh ... :calvin:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Techreational & Lemon Wedge Trimix have got to have something in common.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Grateful Diver wrote:I think we need a Lemon Wedge Instructor forum while you're at it, Josh ... :calvin:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
12:48pm
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Sounder wrote:Techreational & Lemon Wedge Trimix have got to have something in common.
they're both labels.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

spatman wrote:
Sounder wrote:Techreational & Lemon Wedge Trimix have got to have something in common.
they're both labels.
I've got a label for ya... :penelope:
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Grateful Diver wrote:I think we need a Lemon Wedge Instructor forum while you're at it, Josh ... :calvin:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
That's pretty much the whole site, isn't it? :80sdance:

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Sounder wrote:
spatman wrote:
they're both labels.
I've got a label for ya... :penelope:
:lalala:
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

I had to go back are re-read the question.

Techreational
BASSMAN wrote:Do you like this term?
Some do, some don't
BASSMAN wrote:How would you define this term?
Scuba Diving
BASSMAN wrote:And is there actual training?
Yes......and No
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Techreational is the hefeweizen you squeeze lemon wedges into after trimix dives.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

CaptnJack wrote:
Techreational is the hefeweizen you squeeze lemon wedges into after trimix dives.
WHOA! was that a BEER HIJACK by captnjack?!?!?!

:smt119
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

CaptnJack wrote:

Ladies and gentlemen......WE HAVE A WINNER!
:occasion5:

Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Joshua Smith wrote:
CaptnJack wrote:

Ladies and gentlemen......WE HAVE A WINNER!
:occasion5:
We call this assimilation. :cylon: :grouphug:
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

spatman wrote:
CaptnJack wrote:
WHOA! was that a BEER HIJACK by captnjack?!?!?!

:smt119
Did somebody say BEER?
Paulicarp
Aquanaut

Post by Paulicarp »

TACOS!! :boucegreen: BEER!! :boucegreen: TACOS!! :boucegreen: BEER!! :boucegreen: TACOS!! :boucegreen: BEER!! :boucegreen: TACOS!! :boucegreen: BEER!! :boucegreen: TACOS!! :boucegreen: BEER!! :boucegreen: TACOS!! :boucegreen: BEER!! :boucegreen: TACOS!! :boucegreen: BEER!! :boucegreen: TACOS!! :boucegreen: BEER!! :boucegreen: TACOS!! :boucegreen: BEER!! :boucegreen: TACOS!! :boucegreen: BEER!! :boucegreen: TACOS!! :boucegreen: BEER!! :boucegreen: TACOS!! :boucegreen: BEER!! :boucegreen: TACOS!! :boucegreen: BEER!! :boucegreen: TACOS!! :boucegreen: BEER!! :boucegreen: TACOS!! :boucegreen: BEER!! :boucegreen:
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Thanks to all who has put input to this thread. :thankyouyellow:

"Techreational" is a very good descriptive word for a type of diving that is somewhere between "recreational" and "technical" diving. :grouphug:

Some like the term some don't. And that's okay. I personally don't have an opinion either way. :dontknow:

As far as training, I think we all should be constantly be training our selves to become the level of diver that each individual wants to become and also help out others with thier training by sharing knowledge and experiences!

And that's what I like about this board! :supz:

And then...eat plenty of TACOS! :eek:

And DIVE DIVE DIVE! :bounceline:
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz: