Working for a dive charter?

This forum is provided for the further edification of our club members seeking to improve their knowledge and diving skills. (recreational diving only)
jedijordos
Avid Diver

Working for a dive charter?

Post by jedijordos »

Does anyone have recommendations for working with a dive charter? either in or outside of the US. I want to get serious and spend alot of time diving this summer.

Hello
I am looking for a summer job with a dive charter. During the winters I work and live at Stevens pass as a semi professional snowboard photographer. In the summers I am a student at the UW. I thoroughly enjoy scuba diving in the summers around the sanjuans and puget sound. I am attempting to take some time off as a student and focus my energy on diving and underwater photography. I am most familiar diving in the Sound and I have spent some time diving around the Sanjuans during a 3 week sailing excursion that has taken place the last two summers. I am OW certified and would like to get some higher level certs out of the way asap. I am a strong diver and am comfortable and confident with my dive experience.
If you are interested in having a helpful deck hand on board let me know.

Thanks for your time

Jordan Ingmire
jordos@hotmail.com

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... D=55030574
http://sanjuans08.blogspot.com
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Re: Working for a dive charter?

Post by CaptnJack »

You will need a dive master certification to be considered. Here in the PNW charters very very rarely hire a DM to work in water. So expect to go someplace warmer and with lots of tourists. You may or may not get to dive all that much, some DMs end up being boat crew more than actually diving, kinda varies. I know that the DMs on Blackbeard's (a charter company in FL) all have captain's licenses and rotate on those responsibilties depending on the week/trip. You'll also have to buy the DM insurance which is $3-400 annually depending on agency. You are on a very tight timeline if you want to get hired in a couple months.

How many dives do you have so far? Have you ever been to a warm water destination where you saw DMs working?

Job tip in general: I would spend some effort personalizing your inquiry letter for jobs you apply for. Form letters get very little consideration by any manager.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.