Pockets?

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Pockets?

Post by Nwbrewer »

So my Drysuit's got no pockets (neo DS if it matters). I'm trying to decide between X-shorts and some glue on pockets. Thoughts on either from the peanut gallery? If glue on, brand?
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Re: Pockets?

Post by Penopolypants »

I think the general consensus is that you should send it to the manufacturer to have pockets put on, but I glued XS scuba pockets on my old suit without any issues. Over a 100 dives with them and they never peeled loose, even at the corners. I did use about twice as much glue as they provided.
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

Penopolypants wrote:I think the general consensus is that you should send it to the manufacturer to have pockets put on
Think about who you're talking to P. If Jake had his way, he'd BE the manufacturer. I say, glue away! What's the worst that could happen?
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Pez7378 wrote:
Think about who you're talking to P. If Jake had his way, he'd BE the manufacturer. I say, glue away! What's the worst that could happen?
That's kind of my question. What is the worst that could happen? If they fail for some reason can I get them off?
Dmitchell
Perma Narc'd

Post by Dmitchell »

Gluing pockets on is no big deal, Its about a 30-45 minute job and doesn't require much as far as tools.

Get the pocket, put on your suit and figure out where you want it. Use some white chalk to mark around it.

Take the suit off, clean the area where the pocket will go and the back of the pocket with cotol or tolulene or some other nasty chemical.

Paint "Seal Cement" around the back of the pocket in a one inch or so strip leaving the center of the pocket without glue. This allows it to move a little. Paint the glue in the same circle on the suit. Do 3 coats about 10 minutes apart.

After the last coat stick the pocket down. Find something (ahead of time) to roll the pocket in order to make sure it will bond. Pile a stack of 5lb weights on it for a couple hours to hold it down and you are done.

If you had to remove it, CAREFUL application of heat from a heatgun or hairdryer will loosen the glue and let you pull it off.

Dave
Dave Mitchell
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I glued pockets on my Mobby's laminate suit -- twice. The first time, I didn't do it right -- inadequate site preparation, and not enough weight to keep them flat, and not enough time, I think, for the glue to cure.

When the pocket began to peel from the corners, it was irritating, but eventually it impeded their use, and I had to take the pocket off and do it again. It is not too difficult to remove the pocket just by force, although nowadays I'd use my heat gun to soften the glue. It is VERY difficult to remove all the glue from the pocket to reuse it. I would not do that again -- I would purchase a new pocket.

The second time, I was very careful to follow all the instructions in the Airspeed Press drysuit book, and I did get a better result, but the corners still eventually peeled. I ended up sending the suit to Superior Diving Repair to have the pockets sewn on and sealed, and it was simply a better outcome.

As far as pockets go, there are a lot of choices. The cheapest are the ones 5thD sells for $30. They're a simple Cordura-type fabric with a velcro closure. One thing I like about them is that they DON'T have the Velcro that collapses the pocket when it's empty. That Velcro annoys me, because it's difficult to get it to remain loose enough to get things in and out of the pocket.

DUI makes pockets with a finer, slightly fuzzy backing, which Bud says makes the glue hold better. DSS makes pockets mounted on a large neoprene square (bigger than the pocket) designed to ensure that the shear stress from opening and closing the pocket isn't transmitted directly to the corners. I suspect these probably work well, but they are pricey, at something like $90 per pocket.

X-shorts work very well, even over dry suits. But they aren't cheap, either, and the problem with having your pockets on something separate from your dry suit is that it's one more thing you can forget to bring with you, or forget to put on before you gear up.

I think if I had to rank the options, I'd say #1 is buy the cheap pockets from 5thD and send the suit in to have them put on. #2 would be X-shorts, and #3 would be gluing on your own pockets.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Penopolypants wrote:I glued XS scuba pockets on my old suit without any issues. Over a 100 dives with them and they never peeled loose, even at the corners. I did use about twice as much glue as they provided.
same for me, and they are still doing just fine. the only thing i would do differently is get pockets that zip instead of the velcro closures. the velcro always seems to close up when i want it to stay open, making stowing items a pain in the @ss.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

I've heard bad things about zippers in salt. Looking at the xs scuba pockets makes me tempted to go with Pez's thought and make pockets. I've made them before, but I made ones with velcro straps like the DR pockets. It works ok, but not great. It tends to slide around.
camerone
Submariner

Post by camerone »

Nwbrewer wrote:I've heard bad things about zippers in salt. Looking at the xs scuba pockets makes me tempted to go with Pez's thought and make pockets. I've made them before, but I made ones with velcro straps like the DR pockets. It works ok, but not great. It tends to slide around.
Just find one with a plastic zipper and it's good to go. I've had no problems with zippered pockets over the years.

DSS's pocket with a backing is excellent, but you can buy a much cheaper pocket and sew it on a cordura backing yourself with any decent sewing machine. http://www.seattlefabrics.com has 1000 denier cordura by the yard (or fraction thereof) in official "scuba black (tm)" as do most of the larger fabric stores in town. Cut a nice square about an inch larger on each side than the pocket, run a cigarette lighter around the edge to seal the threads up, and then just use heavy nylon upholstery thread and a jeans or leather needle in the machine to stitch the pocket to the backing. It turns the $30 pocket to a $90 pocket in no time for a price difference of $5. :) Glue on pocket, run a line of seam tape around the edge to seal, and you're golden.
There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots...
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

Jake-

Gluing the pockets on is super easy. I've done it several times with wetsuits and drysuits.

With a neoproene drysuit, put on a coat of E6000, http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/product.php?pid=129&. Let it dry. Apply another coat, repeat. Keep applying coats until the neoprene is saturated. Once it is, apply a coat to both the pocket and drysuit, and voila!

Its less than a 60 minute job.
http://www.frogkickdiving.com/

"It's a lot easier when you're not doing it" - CaseyB449

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
E_Mo
Aquaphile

Post by E_Mo »

If you don't want to glue a pocket to your suit, Dive-Rite makes a pocket that connects to your weight belt, and hangs down at your thigh, then has a strap that goes around your thigh.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. -Unknown
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Here you go, Jake. Cave Adventureres has the DR zip pockets for $27. I just bought mine last week. Free shipping and I had them in 2 days! They are a nice pocket. They have a nice sliding loop sewn inside for clipping off items, and a good flat base that should glue well.

These are the regular pockets, not the harness drop-mounted ones.

-Ben
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

E_Mo wrote:If you don't want to glue a pocket to your suit, Dive-Rite makes a pocket that connects to your weight belt, and hangs down at your thigh, then has a strap that goes around your thigh.
That's kind of what I'm using now. A few things have led me to consider other options. First, it moves around, which makes it not so easy to get in/out of. Second, it attaches to either the wait of your BC, or your weight belt, either way it makes it difficult to ditch weights. In lieu of recent events, this option has now caused me to thing that this isn't a safe way to go.

Camerone I have about 1.5 yards of that stuff around. I'm thinking either I'll buy inexpensive pockets and add that to them, or just make some pockets and be brave and glue them on, since I'm not seeing overwhelming support for X-shorts.
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Nwbrewer wrote:... since I'm not seeing overwhelming support for X-shorts.
I don't see anything wrong with X-shorts and don't understand why the stigma. They seem like a perfectly fine solution to me.

-Ben
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

airsix wrote:
Nwbrewer wrote:... since I'm not seeing overwhelming support for X-shorts.
I don't see anything wrong with X-shorts and don't understand why the stigma. They seem like a perfectly fine solution to me.

-Ben
Sorry-I love my X-shorts, but I only use them in warm water with a wetsuit. I can't speak to their functionality over drysuits. Someone here used them over their drysuit, though, I just can't remember who.... LCF, maybe?
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

BDub wrote:Jake-

Gluing the pockets on is super easy. I've done it several times with wetsuits and drysuits.

With a neoproene drysuit, put on a coat of E6000, http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/product.php?pid=129&. Let it dry. Apply another coat, repeat. Keep applying coats until the neoprene is saturated. Once it is, apply a coat to both the pocket and drysuit, and voila!

Its less than a 60 minute job.
So the pockets are just about done, and I'm going with what Camerone said about adding a backing, but I'm using Neoprene to try and make sure that I get a good Neo-neo bond.

Brian do you use the clear E-6000? and do you cover the whole back, or just an inch or so around the edges? Somewhere I saw that recommended as it allows to pocket to better flex and isn't as stiff on the suit. :questionmarks:

Overall I'm pretty happy with the way the pockets turned out, and it's cost me about $15/pocket. I'll put up some pics when I get the Neo backing attached.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

Very nice pockets. You should make me a pair. 0]

D(B)