Paper: Scuba classes scrutinized by FBI terrorism task force

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Matt S.
Submariner

Paper: Scuba classes scrutinized by FBI terrorism task force

Post by Matt S. »

I stumbled on this article when I was looking for news about the Sund Rock fatality.

http://community.seattletimes.nwsource. ... erwater07m

It's an old item, but has some interesting information in it.
At scuba-equipment stores, suspicious activity might involve quantity.

Any customer requesting several sets of scuba gear would be suspicious, shop owners said. Most sales are for only one person, or perhaps two for a married couple.

John Burns, owner of Discount Divers Supply on Westlake Avenue in Seattle, said he would suspect anyone wanting to purchase anything to increase diver mobility, such as a propulsion vehicle that uses a battery to fuel a propeller. He said he might call the FBI even if someone requested only one of the devices.
I wonder if the proprietor has changed his tune in the years since? Knowing that I may be reported for my purchases doesn't make me happy about patronizing the store. It's also possible that the quotes were taken out of context somehow, I suppose.

Any instructors here have stories about being contacted by the FBI?
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Re: Paper: Scuba classes scrutinized by FBI terrorism task force

Post by Sounder »

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I'll call my friends across the street to see if they're concerned about my cuda!!
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

Now, to be fair, that article was written in June of 2002. We were all still so terrified that all manner of ridiculous scenarios seemed plausible....

Doug, we're ALL concerned about your Cuda...
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

scottsax wrote:Now, to be fair, that article was written in June of 2002. We were all still so terrified that all manner of ridiculous scenarios seemed plausible....

Doug, we're ALL concerned about your Cuda...
The only thing you're concerned with is when you get to try it out!! :angry:
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Try getting run over by it. I've heard about how you drive....
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

Sounder wrote:The only thing you're concerned with is when you get to try it out!! :angry:
You know me too well! :occasion5:
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Nwbrewer wrote:Try getting run over by it. I've heard about how you drive....
Hey, that wasn't my fault. BDub should have known I was going for that 3rd loop instead of rushing into the 'dond mini-dome.
Paulicarp
Aquanaut

Post by Paulicarp »

I actually earned a visit from homland security in 2006 because I a shipped a book to Israel that was printed in Hong Kong. They've never been back since.
Raydar
Dive-aholic

Post by Raydar »

I'm sure I could come up with some snappy cutting remark about scooters and terrorists, but I've got to get back to packaging Abdullah bin Scootin's shipment.
Purveyor of crack ;)
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

Sounder wrote:
Hey, that wasn't my fault. BDub should have known I was going for that 3rd loop instead of rushing into the 'dond mini-dome.
I had the right of way
http://www.frogkickdiving.com/

"It's a lot easier when you're not doing it" - CaseyB449

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
Matt S.
Submariner

Post by Matt S. »

Yeah, it's very old and hopefully just a sign of the times. I'll not condemn the shop quite yet, but it does make you think.

Abdullah bin Scootin: =D>
Ken G
I've Got Gills

Post by Ken G »

John Burns, owner of Discount Divers Supply on Westlake Avenue in Seattle, said he would suspect anyone wanting to purchase anything to increase diver mobility, such as a propulsion vehicle that uses a battery to fuel a propeller. He said he might call the FBI even if someone requested only one of the devices.
Ridiculous. I guess he does not sell many DPV's
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Ken G wrote:
Ridiculous. I guess he does not sell many DPV's
No, pretty much everyone I know bought a scooter from discount divers supply. It's common knowledge that they have the finest selection of diver propulsion vehicles. :rolleyes: Just don't walk in there alone, looking to buy one. That's a one-way ticket to Gitmo, baby. Take a friend with you. (Preferably a middle-eastern exchange student with anger-management issues.)
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

BDub wrote:
Sounder wrote:
I had the right of way
No you didn't.

Well, I guess pedestrians usually do have right of way... and seeing that you were driving a Sierra, as the Cuda driver I probably should have yielded to the "slow enough to drive Ms. Daisy" Sierra driver.

At least I was there to navigate home when Joe got all four of us lost and when he turned to you asking "where are we?" and you responded with "I dunno," Scott and I were able to guide you back to civilization!!

That was a fun dive. I'm upside-down it rotation 2.65 and suddenly WHOA!! :eek: All I see is a bright light, some dark masses, and "B-D-U-B" on the scooter... and then I see Scott laughing through his regulator. :hah:
girldiver
Compulsive Diver

Post by girldiver »

FBI? No.

But while managing a LDS, we did make two calls to Homeland Security...getting the license plate of a rental vehicle on the second call.

Both times, Eastern European men came into the shop requesting a compressor system for filling their own tanks, should they be somewhere there isn't air, DPV's and Rebreather set ups. Neither of the men displayed ANY knowledge of scuba or the use of the said items, should they be purchased. They wanted a complete quote for the set up and to know how one would operate the items.

The threat in the Puget Sound area is very real...and both of these incidents left me a little nervous when I'm on ferry boatsAnd when I dive at Alki, I realize that with a scooter, a rebreather and a little C4...the big cruise ships are just an underwater flight away from catastrophe.

Funny...I feel safe when I fly. Guess it's a good thing I don't work in a flight school.
Cindy
http://www.scubashoppe.com -
Retail, Training, Travel and a Full Service Center: 130 Main Street, Auburn.
Raydar
Dive-aholic

Post by Raydar »

girldiver wrote:And when I dive at Alki, I realize that with a scooter, a rebreather and a little C4...the big cruise ships are just an underwater flight away from catastrophe.
Hmmmm, I prefer to consider that those big cruise ships are just an underwater flight away from being a world class wreck dive. The Andrea Doria would have nothing over one of those Princess ships sitting in 300' of water. :bounceline:
Purveyor of crack ;)
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Raydar wrote:
girldiver wrote:And when I dive at Alki, I realize that with a scooter, a rebreather and a little C4...the big cruise ships are just an underwater flight away from catastrophe.
Hmmmm, I prefer to consider that those big cruise ships are just an underwater flight away from being a world class wreck dive. The Andrea Doria would have nothing over one of those Princess ships sitting in 300' of water. :bounceline:

*drool*

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Raydar
Dive-aholic

Post by Raydar »

Joshua Smith wrote:
*drool*
In the middle of Elliott Bay.

Only a 15 minute Cuda ride away.

:smt064
Purveyor of crack ;)
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Raydar wrote:
Joshua Smith wrote:
*drool*
In the middle of Elliott Bay.

Only a 15 minute Cuda ride away.

:smt064

*convulsions*

Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

... of course, you'd first want to give the crabs a chance to clear away the passengers ... :popcorn:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Grateful Diver wrote:... of course, you'd first want to give the crabs a chance to clear away the passengers ... :popcorn:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

In my fantasy version of events, all the passengers get off safely, but have to abandon all their gold and jewelry, and the courts declare "FINDER'S KEEPERS" salvage rights.

And the wreck becomes such a popular dive destination that the State finally allows us to start artificial reefing.

Matt S.
Submariner

Post by Matt S. »

Cindy, I can't fault your decision in that story.
girldiver
Compulsive Diver

Post by girldiver »

"In my fantasy version of events, all the passengers get off safely, but have to abandon all their gold and jewelry, and the courts declare "FINDER'S KEEPERS" salvage rights.

And the wreck becomes such a popular dive destination that the State finally allows us to start artificial reefing."
I'll take this version ANYDAY!!!
Cindy
http://www.scubashoppe.com -
Retail, Training, Travel and a Full Service Center: 130 Main Street, Auburn.