A Thousand Words

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Fishstiq
Amphibian

A Thousand Words

Post by Fishstiq »

How many times have you been asked why you dive, and why here? The answer to that question can be very long-winded, convluted and confusing, or it might just be a shrug of the shoulders. They say a picture's worth a thousand words, so rather than talking about it, if you could answer that question with a picture, what would it be?

If you could pick an image that best represents PNW diving, what image would you use? A drawing that you've seen or done, or a good painting, or maybe a favorite photo? Maybe a particular critter like a GPO or a sixgill, or a particular dive site that just says "This is PNW diving", or a sculpture or mural?

So, why do you love PNW diving?
Not just front page famous, but above the fold famous...

Waiting for your AIDS test results is no time to be thinking positive.
Scubak
I've Got Gills

Re: A Thousand Words

Post by Scubak »

I have a couple of pics to post...
Let me go look 'em up!!!
:bounceline:
"Let's go diving!"
Scubak
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubak »

These aren't the greatest pics by any means but I just quickly posted them.
Diving here is like no other place...
Diving with the people here is probably one of the best places in the world!
We rock!
I love it in Puget Sound!
K
Attachments
It's the fun!
It's the fun!
It's the big things
It's the big things
It's the little things
It's the little things
Vis is sometimes remarkable
Vis is sometimes remarkable
A beautiful place to be
A beautiful place to be
"Let's go diving!"
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

I like that sunset at redondo pic!

I have a patented answer. You wanta see? then I hand then the album I keep in the truck. :clap: :clap: After that it's either a where can I learn or boy I wish I could do that! :partydance: :partydance:
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Most of what I love about diving here can be found on Dan Warter's website:

http://www.dcsfilms.com/Site_4/DCS_Website.html

But there's a lot more to it than that- I just love being underwater. I love the camaraderie I find with other divers. And I love being one of the lucky ones who is crazy enough to want to go underwater here, over and over again......who knows what I'll see next time I go? Sixgills? Shipwrecks? GPOs? I've seen things and felt things down there that nobody but another cold water diver could possibly understand. Last summer, during a loooong deco hang- I looked over at my friend Rob, just as a huge school of baitfish swam behind him- for just a second, Rob was surrounded by deep green water that had thousands of shimmering silver fish in it- and then it was over. Nobody else saw it but me, and it was one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen....so psychedelic and surreal that I was literally starting to flush out my CCR loop before I realized that it was real- I thought I was hallucinating.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

this sums a lot of it up for me:
Attachments
CIMG3110.jpg
Scubak
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubak »

Puget Sound divers Rock!!!
We are a fantastic breed!!!
:bounceline:
"Let's go diving!"
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

spatman wrote:this sums a lot of it up for me:
:supz:
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I think Jan's thread sums it up for me!
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

Only a Thousand Words?
Spatman wrote:this sums a lot of it up for me
Definately!
The Crew.jpg
But if I could add another Four Thousand...........I'd say it was this:
Diving 077.jpg
San Juans LuJac's Quest 021.jpg
1702025274_1e22b9d1f2_b1[1].jpg
IMG_0257.jpg
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Some of y'all might recall that TV program I was involved in a coupla months back ... and they asked me that very question.

My answer went something along the lines of "Back in the day I used to dream about going into outer space, and diving's about as close as I'll ever get to realizing that dream. Because when I go underwater all that heavy gear becomes weightless ... I become weightless. It's a feeling of complete and total freedom like you can experience nowhere else on the planet."

... and after that I'd point them to Jan's thread ... it pretty well shows the best of what there is to see down there ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
girldiver
Compulsive Diver

Post by girldiver »

I'm soooo like Bob!! It's the weightlessness. And this past week, I finally "found my words" (I know...for those of you who have met me, I'm rarely without my words...)

I feel like Tinkerbell.

You know how Tinkerbell can just hang in the air and flit about, absolutely effortlessly? I often take a Tinkerbell pose in the water as I turn to watch my students follow me.

(Ok, Pez...you can use the "tinkerbell" thing...but the rest of you guys, I'd find a different example...)

Sorry, I know the 1,000 words was supposed to be a pic...but I currently have no Tinkerbell pics. Need to get one....
Cindy
http://www.scubashoppe.com -
Retail, Training, Travel and a Full Service Center: 130 Main Street, Auburn.
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

girldiver wrote:(Ok, Pez...you can use the "tinkerbell" thing...but the rest of you guys, I'd find a different example...) Sorry, I know the 1,000 words was supposed to be a pic...but I currently have no Tinkerbell pics. Need to get one....
I've got one you can Borrow Cindy!
IMG_0173_2.jpg
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

How did this become the pic on Joe thread? I'm in.

I agree, the comradarie between us cold water divers is awesome, and part of the reason I love diving locally.

With the vis we typically have, I love the little things.

Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Post by Sockmonkey »

I once asked a group of divers (mostly unknown to me at the time) to "pretend to like each other" as I took a pic.

Mav of took it to the next level... aimed right at Joe.

-Eric
"I used to do this for fun, but now, I do it for nothing" -Not Joshua Smith

:eric: Hawaiian Seamonkey Blog
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

spatman wrote:this sums a lot of it up for me:
Sir yes sir! :supz:
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

I don't think that this picture would explain very well to someone who does not dive the joy of diving, but to a diver - well let's just say that if it doesn't make you want to don your dry suit and do a giantstride you're not a real diver! The perfect weather, the twilight, diver's bubbles tickling a glass flat sea, the dive flags - just an awesome pic. (Taken by-the-way by Sam, one of Don Coleman's deck hands.)

More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

Tom Nic wrote:I don't think that this picture would explain very well to someone who does not dive the joy of diving, but to a diver - well let's just say that if it doesn't make you want to don your dry suit and do a giantstride you're not a real diver! The perfect weather, the twilight, diver's bubbles tickling a glass flat sea, the dive flags - just an awesome pic. (Taken by-the-way by Sam, one of Don Coleman's deck hands.)

Words just couldn't describe the great diving we had that day!
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Pez7378 wrote:Words just couldn't describe the great diving we had that day!
True! But we tried!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Yes, this is a full sized truck tire!
Moments just like these!
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
nice-diver
Compulsive Diver

Post by nice-diver »

i flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nice-diver/

Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather, because it's easier to harrass rich women than motorcycle gangs!
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

nice-diver wrote:Image
That's a VERY cool picture ... :supz: :breakdance: :smt038

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

I agree, that is an AWESOME pic. Is that Clear Lake? I'm planning a trip up there this summer.

D(B)
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

defied wrote:I agree, that is an AWESOME pic. Is that Clear Lake? I'm planning a trip up there this summer.

D(B)
yep, that's clear lake. jeff took that last summer, i believe. when are you going there? maybe we could get another group together for some diving....
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

Not sure yet, maybe sometime between June and August. PM me, we can figure out more details. My guys just got certified, so I'll need to start checking prices of lodges/campsites, where the local airfill is, etc.

Any chance he has a larger image? I'd like to kick SockMonkey off of my desktop, and put this one up. (Yes, my desktop is a huge picture leech from these threads. 0]

D(B)