Amazing dive video

General banter about diving and why we love it.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Amazing dive video

Post by LCF »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDp58Wrz4Uk

Even if you aren't a cave or wreck diver, I think you'll find this video beautiful and amazing. The diver is Steve Bogaerts, who is a cave instructor down in Mexico.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Octoloco
Extreme Diving Machine

Re: Amazing dive video

Post by Octoloco »

This video answers fishstiq's "thousand words" question. Awesome
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Awesome! Watching him work makes me feel clumsy and ill trained. That is some rig the way he has it setup.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Wow!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
sheahanmcculla
I've Got Gills

Post by sheahanmcculla »

Bouyancy??? How the heck does he control it? That was awsome!
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I asked him that question -- he says with that wetsuit and those tanks, he's just about neutral in salt water, so he does his buoyancy control entirely with his breath.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
girldiver
Compulsive Diver

Post by girldiver »

Wow...that is the epitome of Zen underwater. I've been curious about the sidemount since diving with Laura last...however, after watching this video....now I'd try it.

Again....wow....
Cindy
http://www.scubashoppe.com -
Retail, Training, Travel and a Full Service Center: 130 Main Street, Auburn.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

LCF wrote:I asked him that question -- he says with that wetsuit and those tanks, he's just about neutral in salt water, so he does his buoyancy control entirely with his breath.
Perhaps most of you who have dove a fair amount in warm water already had this figured out - But in Bonaire I finally got my weighting perfect - I'd dump air at the beginning of the dive and not touch my BCD the entire dive, just doing buoyancy control with my breath. It was truly delightful!
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

Wow tht's unreal. Makes me wanna jump in the water right now.

I still don't understand how he controls his buoyancy though. I mean what about the loss of buoyancy of neoprene at depth? and what about the change in bouyancy of the tanks as they become empty? Is this a situation where it was perfectly balanced at THAT depth for THAT 8 minutes?

Help me out here my brain is smoking :extinguishflame:
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Can't comment on him specifically, but I know that it seems that in warm water when you are just a hair negative you can control your buoyancy throughout the dive with breath control - due in large part because the swing isn't as large as it is when you are in cold water with mucho crapola (technical term) and air spaces. I wouldn't have believed that it works if I hadn't experienced it.
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

Mattleycrue76 wrote:Wow tht's unreal.

I still don't understand how he controls his buoyancy though.

It's the fins Matt. I've got a set just like 'em. You're more than welcome to try 'em out. :smt064
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Mattleycrue76 wrote:Wow tht's unreal. Makes me wanna jump in the water right now.

I still don't understand how he controls his buoyancy though. I mean what about the loss of buoyancy of neoprene at depth? and what about the change in bouyancy of the tanks as they become empty? Is this a situation where it was perfectly balanced at THAT depth for THAT 8 minutes?

Carefull weighting and lots of experience. There won't be a huge swing between full and empty tanks, or his wetsuit compressing at depth. The more you dive, the easier it is to handle weight differential- within reason.(especially if you're a warm water diver) This guy's obviously very good.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

:banghead: Damn! I always suspected my splits fins were the only thing standing betweeen me and diving awesomeness!
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith